Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Your other favs besides J Poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

jeremiah
    Keymaster

This poll is per the request of salamiguy and based on his results found in this thread.

I only used the top 20 from his list because this feature is still in testing stages and I don’t want to blow the board up [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

I´m sorry but this is utterly boring. What is the use of a poll like this? We all know the outcome, don´t we?! People into Dinosaur Jr. also like Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Sebadoh, ect, ect; big surprise!! Gosh, that is so obious and predictable. Why not have a poll like: What is your favourite Band/Artist beside J that doesn´t involve white boys strumming guitars. Now that would be much more interesting.
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[ July 18, 2001 03:53 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by dimpfelmoser ]</font>

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Well, it was put here per a request and it is an exuse for me to be testing the new poll feature. (all of which you probably could have figured out from the first post)

Although no poll we could ever do would be as meaningfull and interesting as your insightfull reply [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

I have to admit you do have a decent idea for our next poll though [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

thanks

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

I like the polls, think we might actually be surprised sometimes with the results. Sure it may be obvious what dino fans like…but maybe not…anyways polls can be fun..for me anyways. I usually cheat though so good thing the double voting has been fixed… [img]images/smiles/converted/newangel.gif[/img]

Love the quote Dimpfelmoser, had to change my name to fit the current mood.

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

dear Jerry.
    Why so defensive. You will be thrilled to learn that -yes indeed- I figured out that the damn thing was there because of a request and that you were testing another feature; but tell me, is there a rule that you can´t find requests boring (and complain bitterly about them).
    Point is, in my very first posting (9 months or so ago) I basically reacted to the same thing. There was this guy asking the other members about their faves beside J and every reply was a namedropping of the usual suspects. I mean, there wasn´t that much variety, bearing in mind the whole range of music that there is. Like the 20 bands you have listed here. Really, how many black people you find in those bands, how many women (5, me thinks), how many who don´t sing in English or use the bass, drums, guitar formular. I know I´m repeating myself but variety is the spice of life.
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[ July 18, 2001 09:49 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by dimpfelmoser ]</font>

jeremiah
    Keymaster

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dimpfelmoser:
    <STRONG>dear Jerry.
    Why so defensive. You will be thrilled to learn that -yes indeed- I figured out that the damn thing was there because of a request and that you were testing another feature; but tell me, is there a rule that you can´t find requests boring (and complain bitterly about them).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dear Dim,
    [img]images/smiles/converted/lol.gif[/img] who is Jerry?
    There is definatly no rule about that I just found the complaint as pointless as you found the requested poll. That’s all. [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dimpfelmoser:
    <STRONG>
    Like the 20 bands you have listed here. Really, how many black people you find in those bands, how many women (5, me thinks), how many who don´t sing in English or use the bass, drums, guitar formular. I know I´m repeating myself but variety is the spice of life.
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True although I don’t see what the point of listing bands on the sole reason that they have women or non-white members has to do with anything. Surely you don’t join a bands fanclub just because they fall in that category!??!.

Doubt the poll would be anymore interesting if we made it a point to put bands in there just because they have more members that meet a certain quota of sex or ethnicity. The list was compiled by salimiguy from the bands that members of the board had named as their favorites in their profiles (the link is in the first post), not just 20 I like.

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

Sorry, suddenly had the feeling I might spell Jeremiah wrong and I know how people can be really sensitive about this kind of thing.
    And of course, you don´t like a band only because of the exotic nature of their members, but because, by definition the music is bound to be just a little bit different. See, the last festival I attended, I gradually got fed up with this alternative rock thing. Not because I don´t like it, but because at one point it became all a bit repetitive and I was really grateful for Calexico, Stereolab and the Chemical Brothers to perform, cause there was at least a bit of variation.
    And frankly, I realised that this list represented the members taste and not yours. But that was my point. Like, whenever you have a poll at the end of the year, like best band of 2000, I always wish they would list more than the first ten or twenty, cause really, if you read past the predictable Radioheads and Smashing Pumpkinsens ect., that´s when it starts to get interesting. Otherwise it´s just another form of mainstream.
    And indeed, if we could choose from a list, where the bands at least fulfill on of the characteristics I found missing in this one, I´m sure it would be slightly more interesting, cause you might come across a new band that you could dicover for yourself and not just the same old dross that we have listened to for the last ten years.
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[ July 18, 2001 10:40 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by dimpfelmoser ]</font>

SG
    Participant

I`m all for a jazz or hip hop poll or whatever type of music.When people listed their other favs on their profile they had no idea it would be in a poll,so in alot of cases other kinds of music that they listen to did`nt get listed.I did`nt mention any of my fav jazz musicians on my profile,I`m sure others did`nt always list other kinds of music they like.
    I don`t want to add work for Jeremiah to develop another poll like tommorrow or something,but sometime another poll would be interesting,this poll is where to start I think,if anyone finds it boring,ok;noone is asking them to participate,in the future maybe we`ll see a more interesting poll that more people can agree with.

SG
    Participant

I`m fed up with alternative rock to and how bands seem to copy whatever is trendy,in the past 10 years we`ve seen bands copy Sonic Youth,MBV,Pavement,Stereolab…,why can`t anyone come up with anything original like the bands I`ve mentioned,but even those bands had their influences.
    I don`t follow popular alt music,yesterday when you said Linolieum`s singer sounds like the Placebo guy I was like,Placebo? I hardly even know thier songs.I`d rather some obsure band doing something different than that pop crap,a pop song structure is good but it`s good to know there is some band out there trying something different though it seems maybe 2 out of 10 bands out there are doing something diffrent,everyone wants to be like their heroes."Kill Yr Idols" as SY used to say,play something different from your favs is my advice to bands.

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

But Salamiguy. What do you think is the use of your profile if you don´t put in the Jazz stuff you like. I mean, this profile should give the others an idea what you´re like. Some INFORMATION! Something that distinguishes you from all the other guys on this board. See, because you post on this site we take it you like Dinosaur Jr.; so we might have guessed that you also have a soft spot for Buffalo Tom, Hüsker Dü, my bloody Valentine. They are all related to Dinosaur in one way or the other. Same with Sebadoh, Sonic Youth, Nirvana to pick some bands at random. So that doesn´t give you any profile at all. Or is it conformity that we want?
    gruss
    d

jeremiah
    Keymaster

[img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] dimplefoster – Don’t get me wrong, I see your point. Just thought the approach was odd. You could have listed some of your favorites (possibly with links to sites) so that others could get exposed to it instead of just bashing what was there. Just my opinion though.

Agree with you about the list being limited to 20 too but look @ the post time, I was tired! [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Variety is definately the spice of life but it is not by any means required. Some people don’t ever venture from what they have found appealing in the past. Sort of a security blanket I guess. Nevertheless they are not wrong for doing so. I listened to Edith Piaf on the way in to work this morning but I don’t expect to see many other members listing her as one of their favorites nor am I disappointed that it is not on the list.

I always love to check out new music as my taste varies as well. Maybe you could posts some of your favorites somewhere and why you think they matter. Should be a cool read [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] I like those kinds of things anyway. Found many new artists like that.

salamiguy
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote

Quote:
    but sometime another poll would be interesting,this poll is where to start I think,if anyone finds it boring,ok;noone is asking them to participate,in the future maybe we`ll see a more interesting poll that more people can agree with.

Definatly, this will happen [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] (although, I may have to delegate the job of listing 500 bands to someone else) [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

jeremiah
    Keymaster

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salamiguy:
    <STRONG>
    I don`t follow popular alt music,yesterday when you said Linolieum`s singer sounds like the Placebo guy I was like,Placebo? </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, I have never heard either of them. Will give them a listen though.

I don’t don’t make it a habit to listen to very many mainstream bands but I also don’t descriminate against a band because the more than the ‘hip crowd’ gets it.

Mattman
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELJ:
    <STRONG>Please be aware – no matter how many alteregos I must register, the Smashing Pumpkins will win this thing. No diggity, no doubt.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously, I know that you’re just joking about this Jaron… I know this because I know that you recall Jeremiah telling you that you were allowed one, and only one (1) alter-ego, which I know you already have. It’s a good thing you’re kidding… ‘Cause I’d hate to warm up the ole’ delete command to weed out extranious accounts. Yup, Jaron, with all your joking and kidding about, you sure are a funny guy… [img]images/smiles/converted/lol.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

Alter-egos, multiple accounts… That kills me… you should be on stage… [img]images/smiles/converted/rofl.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattman:
    <STRONG>

Obviously, I know that you’re just joking about this Jaron… I know this because I know that you recall Jeremiah telling you that you were allowed one, and only one (1) alter-ego, which I know you already have. It’s a good thing you’re kidding… ‘Cause I’d hate to warm up the ole’ delete command to weed out extranious accounts. Yup, Jaron, with all your joking and kidding about, you sure are a funny guy… [img]images/smiles/converted/lol.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

Alter-egos, multiple accounts… That kills me… you should be on stage… [img]images/smiles/converted/rofl.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was joking, Matt. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

If you think that was funny, I’ve got a link to a site that does Star Wars entirely in Gangster Rap. Good stuff!
    http://download.theforce.net/theater/gangsta/starwarz.html [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, yeah, I forgot – I’m going to see MoA tommorrow. Want me snag you a poster or something?

<FONT>[ July 18, 2001 02:13 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by ELJ ]</font>

Rich
    Participant

ohh i wanted to vote for Black Sabbath they should be on there ohh

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.