Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Your new Napster….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

jeremiah
    Keymaster

So what are you guys using for mp3’s now? My favorite is still by far the newsgroups. For a while I was using WinMX and it was great but they are now useless. My latest ‘mp3 goldmine’ has been AudioGalaxy.com. In less than 10 minutes I have almost downloaded every tune for Salamiguy’s Fear of Jazz mix cd. [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] (very cool btw) [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

They have my pick for now….

"nuclear war….. It’s a mother fucker…." – Sun Ra

Anthony
    Participant

i have been using Kazaa. http://www.kazaa.com/ so far i have found everything i have been looking for.

irishwhip
    Participant

I’m still using WinMX. It sucks mostly, but sometimes it works pretty good.
    I also use Kazaa, but most of the times to download videoclips. Works really good, although I can’t find any Dinosaur video’s [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]
    Two years ago I already downloaded them from this site (freakscene.net), at that time available for download.

That’s all I use.

Pim

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Audiogalaxy is fine and dandy if you simply want MP3s…

…for us video/audio minded downloaders, I suggest Imesh a great P2P program, that runs a hell of a lot better then any gnutella client. It’s what gnutella should have been. Give it a try!

Robert
    Participant

DirectX is a nice P2P program, that has about everything one could desiree -music, films and so on. Among other things I found a clip of Dino on MTV’s least wanted, from the days when Ray Cokes was allowed on the screen.

swany
    Participant

Limewire works ok. It’s basically a gnutella client but seems to work better.
    http://www.limewire.com/

swany

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by swany:
    <STRONG>Limewire works ok. It’s basically a gnutella client but seems to work better.
    http://www.limewire.com/

swany</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’m quite displeased with Limewire, although I must admit it’s the best Gnutella client I’ve seen.

I discredit the entire Gnutella network… poxy shit.

Mattman
    Participant

Audiogalaxy does filter out some copyright files, probably nothing we’d listen to, but it is a sign that it may be one of the first Napster alts to get the boot from the RIAA… It is centralized. Still, at the moment it is a good place to find stuff. [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

Don’t discount the gnutella yet, ELJ, granted it needs LOTS of refinement, and a little standardization wouldn’t hurt either, but the non-centralized structure is our best bet for circumventing the big corporation crackdown. What these file sharing deals really need is some form of encription. Even simple encription would make it illegal for the RIAA to listen in. Bearshare’s function of displaying user’s IP addresses is pretty moronic as well… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for my prefered client, I use a multipronged attack w/ WinMX, Audiogalaxy, and as a last resort, Morpheus (it limits MP3’s to 128kbps, so its for when the other two don’t produce results.) [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

PS, both the RIAA and the MIAA frequently scan the news groups… Like I said, most the stuff we listen to isn’t on their respective radars, but if you like grabbing movies, I’ve heard a few stories of people’s ISP suspending / cancelling (rare) their accounts at the request of the R/MIAA. [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] This is not a legal shutdown either, both organizations use their expensive lawyers to threaten ISP’s w/ long, expensive litigation to get them to cooperate… [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img] It becomes a lose / lose situation for the ISP’s.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Sorry, Matt, but I do not hold out as much hope for the Gnutella clients. What people don’t seem to realize is the very "features" that keep them away from litigation are the ones that make it a faulty piece of garbage.

Personally, I see many similarities between IMESH and gnutella clients in functionality, but, in my experience, the Imesh network is more stable. I will continue to use that for video files.

For audio, I’ll continue with Audio Galaxy. If RIAA takes that down, I’ll wait a few months and see what pops up. Kazaa stands out as well.

We should start an RIAA arguement thread. It’d be a good read.

As for ISP shutdowns of accounts, over on ‘that other MB’ I frequent, admins have been known to call ISPs over people who use nom de plurs when banned…. so don’t think the RIAA is the only one that uses strong-armed tactics.

Mattman
    Participant

Yeah, but the other board you visit doesn’t have billions of dollars backing it. I doubt most ISP’s do much more than warning when some website calls saying "hey, this guy’s bugging people."

With the corporations, even if the ISP’s were to challenge, the legal fees alone would put them out of business.

It’s like when EMI attacked OLGA (Online Guitar Archive.) All the university mirrors were shut down, but EMI didn’t even bother to challenge the AOL mirror… Hmmm, I wonder why… [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

(Of coarse, a while back, OLGA came back online… haven’t bothered to find out why they were able to do that…)

EDIT: Found some info…Linkage.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Actually, I know for a fact quite a few of the ISP’s complied to "that other board’s" tactics. Simply asked, and they would do it.

That OLGA story was interesting, I was not aware of that situation. And yes, the irony is thick that the AOL mirror wasn’t shutdown.

Reasons to have AOL – 1, Reasons not to – 42,234,235,563,324,563,753,435,123,000,000,000,000,000 [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Jeremiah-glad you like the fear of jazz mix,what tracks could you not get?
    Actually the Miles,Mingus,and Monk tracks were from live recordings,so you problably heard the original studio tracks instead,which are cool as well.
    I mostly look for live stuff in mp3.Lately I`ve been checking out Beestung.com which is all Throwing Muses/Kristin Hersh/Belly/Tanya Donnely stuff.

Cloud9
    Participant

http://www.mp3gas.com/

2Day A New MusicSite has Released
    I have found some Great MP3 of Placebo, Radiohead & Nirvana
    So Check It Out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.