Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Windows XP??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Jebus
    Participant

Is anyone going to run out and by it?? I’ve heard some real horror stories about it…..i’ll stick with my ’95 I do believe.

I’d love to be computer proficient enough to ditch Windows entirely and go Unix/Linux. Anybody here a Linux guy/girl??

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jebus:
    <STRONG>Is anyone going to run out and by it?? I’ve heard some real horror stories about it…..i’ll stick with my ’95 I do believe.

I’d love to be computer proficient enough to ditch Windows entirely and go Unix/Linux. Anybody here a Linux guy/girl??</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As to your XP query, I will buy it first day out. It is a user friendly OS built on the sturdiest windows kernel yet (windows2000). It will not cause horror stories. The Whisler/windows.net technology is fantastic.

As to your linux query, don’t waste your time. Want an OS built for networking that doesn’t crash? Go back to 1995 and reinstall Windows NT4.0. It doesn’t support USB but eh…

Unix does not need a GUI… it’s not natural…

antipop
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELJ:
    <STRONG>

As to your XP query, I will buy it first day out. It is a user friendly OS built on the sturdiest windows kernel yet (windows2000). It will not cause horror stories. The Whisler/windows.net technology is fantastic.

As to your linux query, don’t waste your time. Want an OS built for networking that doesn’t crash? Go back to 1995 and reinstall Windows NT4.0. It doesn’t support USB but eh…

Unix does not need a GUI… it’s not natural…</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buy nothing Jaron, wait a week or so and get a pirated version and then go and stick your money up Bill Gates Ass were it belongs! I hate that guy!
    later trav [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aNtIPop:
    <STRONG>

Buy nothing Jaron, wait a week or so and get a pirated version and then go and stick your money up Bill Gates Ass were it belongs! I hate that guy!
    later trav [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’m not real big on pirated software, AP… wasn’t there a huge arguement about this one of my first days here? Ah… I remember those days… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

rd
    Participant

Ya’ll may want to look into XP a little more before you go out and buy it. I have heard that it is the most stable Windows OS to date but, and here’s the rub, you HAVE to register it, either online or by phone, to be able to use it. No big deal right,… wrong. For someone like me who reformates their hard drive every once in a while, this would cause a problem because once a product is registered it can not be registered again. This means that if I register XP and then reformate and then tried to install XP on my hard drive after I reformate it would not work because once it is registered it will block out any further registering attempts of that same product ID number. You can call Microsoft and explain your situation and it is up to the person that you talk to to either open that product ID account or keep it locked, thus not letting you reinstall a product that you paid for. This same thing applies to the Microsoft Office XP. I got a copy of this and tried to install and register it. I got it installed and when I tried to register it and it would not take that product ID number for office and told me that I could use office so many times, 30 or 60 I can’t remember which, before it would quit running. Mind you this is not 30 or 60 days, this is time you run any part of the Office XP program, so you could , in theory, use up the alloted amount of time in one day. Pirated copys won’t work, I speak from experience. I hope this makes some amount of sense to whomever read this.

I personally am not going to upgrade to a new version of Windows until I absolutely HAVE to upgrade. If Microsoft changes this registering deal them I will buy XP but if it stays like it is I am not going to upgrade.

There is a webpage on CNN’s website that gives a better description of how the XP OS works. If I can find it I’ll post it.

rd
    Participant

Oh yea, Windows XP does not support ripping of MP3’s. You have to pay for an add on to be able to rip MP3’s

Windows XP will support MP3 for extra fees

rd
    Participant

This is a windows media stream video talks mostly about Office XP but at the end the man describes the product ID activation deal.

Brief description of Office XP and XP OS activation

This is a good description of the XP activation deal. It says that reinstallations on same computers will PROBABLY be OK. But it still doesn’t help for those who want pirated cd’s.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/mailbox-20010712.html

I’m definately waitng to see what actually happens before I buy it though.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RD:
    <STRONG>Ya’ll may want to look into XP a little more before you go out and buy it. I have heard that it is the most stable Windows OS to date but, and here’s the rub, you HAVE to register it, either online or by phone, to be able to use it. No big deal right,… wrong. For someone like me who reformates their hard drive every once in a while, this would cause a problem because once a product is registered it can not be registered again. This means that if I register XP and then reformate and then tried to install XP on my hard drive after I reformate it would not work because once it is registered it will block out any further registering attempts of that same product ID number. You can call Microsoft and explain your situation and it is up to the person that you talk to to either open that product ID account or keep it locked, thus not letting you reinstall a product that you paid for. This same thing applies to the Microsoft Office XP. I got a copy of this and tried to install and register it. I got it installed and when I tried to register it and it would not take that product ID number for office and told me that I could use office so many times, 30 or 60 I can’t remember which, before it would quit running. Mind you this is not 30 or 60 days, this is time you run any part of the Office XP program, so you could , in theory, use up the alloted amount of time in one day. Pirated copys won’t work, I speak from experience. I hope this makes some amount of sense to whomever read this.

I personally am not going to upgrade to a new version of Windows until I absolutely HAVE to upgrade. If Microsoft changes this registering deal them I will buy XP but if it stays like it is I am not going to upgrade.

There is a webpage on CNN’s website that gives a better description of how the XP OS works. If I can find it I’ll post it.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that could be a problem for you. However, I’m fairly certain it won’t be for me, personally, since it is set to reinstall on the same computer. I’ve had no problem whatsoever with Office XP (Developer’s Edition) and I’ve installed on 4 computers already. There are definitely ways around the registering whatnot (legal mind you, if you own the software).

But you do bring up some very valid points, especially for the general user. If you do not need or have a use for the "windows.net" technology, winME will run fine for most home users and NT4.0, or, dear god Win2000 (don’t get me started), for office/networking.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RD:
    <STRONG>Oh yea, Windows XP does not support ripping of MP3’s. You have to pay for an add on to be able to rip MP3’s

Windows XP will support MP3 for extra fees</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That’s most interesting, and I must say I did not know this. Once again, there is ways around this though, and besides, we’ll all be using .shn’s before too awfully long anyway! [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mattman
    Participant

WindowsXP rumor debunking…

There’s a bit of confusion here… Yes, WindowsXP requires registering, but it’s not the same as previous registration methods… What it does is scan your computer’s hardware and use the data it collects to create an ID# unique to that machine. When the MS servers receive this info, it matches the number with that copy of XP. It’s supposedly pretty slack and will allow a few hardware upgrades without reregistering, and even if you try to install on a totally new computer will it let you reregister. The only time it will block you out is if the same copy of XP starts getting registered by several different systems in a short amount of time…

This is to keep people like Antipop from stealing it… Of coarse, we all know the wizkids out there will have a crack for it within minutes. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

And the MP3 thing, I believe, is a service that allows XP to make them natively. I don’t see how they could keep 3rd party programs from ripping/playing then. That’d be a serious anti-trust no no…

Not that I like this reg thing, I think it’s gonna be a real pain in the ass for people. Especially the first few days after XP’s launch when MS’s servers get bogged down and only half the people can register… There are going to be non-reg versions, but I think they are only available to large companies in bulk.

Also, Jaron, careful who you speak that anti-*nix talk to… Lots of people’d be after your head if they heard you talking trash about their favorite OS… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jebus
    Participant

I had heard the rumors regarding difficulties in registering….not to mention some other questionable stuff regarding the bundled browser. I’ll be getting a new PC within the next several months, and I was trying to figure out if I should go with the included XP or stick with either ’95 or ‘982ndedition.

So ELJ and Mattman….i’m assuming you guys are going the XP route with no worries??

Mattman
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELJ:
    <STRONG>

I’ve got ME on one of mine… not as good as Win2000 but I’ve had no serious issues with it? What have you encountered? [img]images/smiles/converted/confused.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve found it to be a bit buggier than previous incarnations. Certain programs, especially games, often have trouble with it. Also, I hate that MS removed DOS mode… The Win9x platform still floats on top of the DOS architecture, like it or not… [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

ME is 98 dressed up like Win2k, but its purely cosmetic… [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattman:
    <STRONG>

ME is 98 dressed up like Win2k, but its purely cosmetic… [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, except for the previously mentioned DOS removal but I’ve never had any major problems with it, although I’m not a big game player (other then Spider Solitaire and Freecell… but those aren’t too taxing). [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mattman
    Participant

I’m in no hurry to change my OS’s… I’m dual-booting both 98 and 2k right now… Unless XP’s leaps and bounds better, then I’m gonna sit on it for awhile and see what others say about it… [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

Jebus, I don’t really know which one to recommend to you at this point… I’d definately suggest that you upgrade to at least 98 though. 95 lacks certain hardware support (USB, AGP, etc) there are updates for it, but it’d be less hassle to go with a newer OS… One thing though, avoid WindowsME at all costs! [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattman:
    <STRONG>

Also, Jaron, careful who you speak that anti-*nix talk to… Lots of people’d be after your head if they heard you talking trash about their favorite OS… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo, Matt, I got no problem with Unix… it’s its ugly second cousin Linux that I loathe… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.