Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Fossils What’s your favorite J solo from the studio albums?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    nick
    Participant

Today it’s Raisins. Yes I believe it will be Raisins today.

P.S ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS SAID IN THE DIALOGUE BETWEEN WHAT SOUNDS LIKE TWO GIRLS DURING THE STEADY DRUMMING AND LIGHT NOTE RIFFS IN RAISINS. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

if you can figure out that mess, a million points to you

umascow
    umascow
    Participant

all the hereto for mentioned solo’s a brilliant.
    Go back and listen to Whatevers cool with me. very catchy solo.

eggwater
    eggwater
    Participant

kracked

THE BOSS
    Participant

Favorite solos are:

drawerings
    just like heaven (its the super-fuzz)
    out there
    the lung

ham steak
    Participant

Lung and that "wha-a-uh" honk thingy in In a Jar are always pretty neat to hear.

rocketmaster
    Participant

I’ve always liked the one on Thumb the best. It’s a very sad sounding solo and always gives me chillbumps.

It’s funny because Thumb is probably one of J’s simplest songs – it’s pretty much just two chords – but the solo has a really unique sound because it’s in like a different mode than what you would expect. From a my guitar geek’s perspective, the song is in D and C but in the solo he seems to switch into like a G major scale. It’s almost more like a jazz thing. Very cool.

Maybe some bigger guitar geek out there can tell me what you call the mode that solo is played in. Like mixolydian or something like that… J’s got lots of different modes!

It’s still the feel and the emotion of the solo that really makes it good, so I should just shut up about analyzing it.

hmmm… maybe I should be posting this stuff over in the guitar forum.

Chris
    Participant

Start Choppin – for recorded stuff

Ammaring (Live) – if you get a chance to see it. If anyone got to see J play it acoustic I think you would agree that it rocks.

AGAP
    Participant

Definitely agree with you about Ammaring live, just awhile ago HOB broadcast a live J Mascis/Fog show…that solo in Ammaring killed me. Actually it kills me every single time I hear it, live or on disc!!!

Welcome to the boards Chris [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison

tonas

This one is easy for me, I always thought the solo in "Out There" was fucking awesome. From J’s tone to his fluidity while soloing. Its a great solo. I also am quite fond of the solo in Thumb. That solo almost tells a story by itself, truly amazing. Now that I’m thinking about them I think I’m going to go listen to them. Later :)

lookitssam
    Participant
    "rocketmaster " wrote:

Maybe some bigger guitar geek out there can tell me what you call the mode that solo is played in. Like mixolydian or something like that… J’s got lots of different modes!

myxolidian is major, so you be the judge. I think J plays alot in just Major or Minor keys though. ???

rage:man
    Participant

The Lung is my absolute favorite. :)

and…

Sludgefeast
    Raisins
    Get Me
    Forget the Swan

Slope1988
    Participant

The solo in They Always Come is awesome.

rage:man
    Participant

top five (currently)

Ammaring
    Get Me
    Thumb
    What Else is New
    No Bones

over yr shoulder
    Participant

in order, for now:

Even You (for the dissonance)
    The Lung (for the melody)
    Get Out of This (lyrical to these ears)
    Sludgefeast (so damn metal!)
    Don’t (one giant freak-out)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.