Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic What’s on your turntable and why: Part 3, A Barlow’s Tale…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

The Word – John Medeski/North Mississippi Allstars/Robert Randolph
    Great instrumental gospel album, a nice mix of funk, blues, rock, soul and gospel, just what I need after a night of partying…. some salvation!

"You gotta sin to get saved!"

[img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

Millencolin -Pengiuns and Polarbears:
    You’re on the top when I’m low.
    As soon as you’re fading I will grow.
    I don’t like you. You don’t like me.
    We’re lacking energy,
    yeah, we’re lacking energy.
    So you got me up against the wall
    and I’m only waiting for your fall.
    I’ll get back on top and be carefree.
    It’s not the end for me, no it’s not the end for me.

Violent Femmes -Add it Up:
    day afterday
    I get angry
    and I will say
    that the day
    is in my sight
    when i’ll take a bow
    and say goodnight

The White Stripes -I can’t Wait:
    who do you think you ‘re
    messing with girl
    what do you think
    you’re trying to do?

SG
    Participant

Here`s what I`ve been listening to:

Sam Phillips-Fan Dance-more bare bones instrumentation then her other albums,and it works.

White Stripes-De Stijl-more bluesy then White Blood Cells,cool slide guitar on some songs.Good album.

Red House Painters-Down Colorful Hill-a long ep(43 minutes!)they can play 10 minute songs and make them seem like 5 minutes.

Robert-nice to hear from you [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sad Mafioso-I sent you a pm yesterday

Allison-sent another pm to you.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

The For Carnation – idem
    One of the most quiet records im my collection, beautiful, dark, slow songs/soundscapes……

needed that after a friend asked me to listen to:

Tool – Lateralus
    Reminds me of Yes in their worst ‘Tales from Topographic Oceans’ period mixed with some ugly King Crimson stuff, mixed with some even more ugly vocals, don’t like it at all, maybe I’m getting too old for this kind of stuff……

[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Hit The Wine-cool stuff,great to have another Sleater Kinney fan here [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Call The Doctor is my 2nd fav SK album(Dig Me Out is 1st).
    Yeah,Bakesale is better then Harmacy.Alien Lanes is my fav GBV album.I like Sugar,PJ Harvey,Modest Mouse alot. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Long Distance Drunk
    Participant

Always good to hear from another SK fan! Corin Tucker is the Queen of Rock n Roll. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I have been debating whether I like Alien Lanes or Bee Thousands better, and I just gave up. Too bad SK’s never comes out east, I’d really like to see them live. I used to say that about Built to Spill, but they proved me wrong, so you never know! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

guy clark — old no. 1

young fresh fellows — electric bird digest

the go-betweens!!!

Long Distance Drunk
    Participant

Picked up at the NRM going out of bid-ness sale–
    Sugar–File Under Easy Listening
    Promise Ring–30 Degrees Everywhere
    PJ Harvey–Rid of Me
    Sebadoh–Harmacy (Bakesale is better)

Also I’ve been into:
    Sleater Kinney–Call the Doctor
    Modest Mouse–Everywhere & his Nasty Parlor Tricks
    Dino–You’re living all over me
    Guided By Voice–Alien Lanes
    Tenacious D

Also got Karl Hendricks Trio Sings About Misery and Women (its out of print) the other day, which completes the KHT collection.

AGAP
    Participant

Currently listening to…

Sweet Nothin by Sonics Rendevouz Band

Great quote by Sonic Smith in the liner notes

"Generally I like anything that’s high energy expressive. That could mean anything from John Coltrane to Patti Smith to punk rock things. I like high-energy music, people kind of exploding, musically. I like to feel it, they’re coming apart and just letting everything out."

Payin The Dues…The Hellacopters

The First and The Last…New Race

This one is wicked, couple guys from Radio Birdman with Ron Asheton and Dennis Thompson ( MC5 drummer) They do a mix of Birdman, Stooges, Destroy All Monster and some Deniz Tek…amazing. They do outrageously cool versions of MC5’s Looking at You , November 22, 1963 by Ashetons group DAM and Crying Shame by RB. It’s live but Rob Younger didn’t like his vocals so he went into the studio and recorded it again…odd but hey it sounds great.

Looking forward to the new Bob Mould being released March 12…whoooohooooo!!! Called modulated, 14 tracks…fingers crossed its not like that mega mega scary song from LDAPS [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Live 98 LDAPS from London will be released via his web site probably out in March as well…cool!!!

Allison

SG
    Participant

Here`s what I`ve been listening to recently:

Wire-Chairs Missing-heard it once so far,sounds good,not as punky as their first,they even through in some keyboards.

Willard Grant Conspiracy-Everything`s Fine-den buck and Shrafro were right about this album,very good stuff.A good travelling album too"there`s miles of road and miles to go".

Eric`s Trip-The Eric`s Trip Show-one of my fav bands,they were very influenced by Dino,they were wicked.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Now playing:

Take me home – A tribute to John Denver
    Compiled by Mark Kozelek, bands like Low, Tarnation, the Red House Painters and Bonnie Prince Billy prove that John Denver was a better songwriter than pilot……

Recently been listening to:
    Oh Susanna – Jonestown
    Ryan Adams – Heartbreaker
    Mark Lanegan – Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
    Built to Spill – Keep it like a secret
    Vigilantes of Love – Summershine
    and a lot of Walkabouts stuff…..

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

from the vaults, stuff i haven’t listened too in a long time and are nice to hear again:

catherine wheel–chrome
    sunny day real estate–diary
    lemonheads–its a shame about ray

plus….

the clean–vehicle. great fuckin’ album!
    billy bragg–talking with the taxman about poetry
    beat happening–dreamy
    possum dixon–possum dixon
    damon and naomi–playback singers
    guy clark–old no. 1

SG
    Participant

Listened to some old stuff this weekend:Jawbreaker,The Fall,Slowdive,GBV,Gillian Welch,Stereolab,Yo La Tengo,Eggs,Sonic Youth,Cannonball Adderley,Angels Of Light,Archers Of Loaf,Bikini Kill,Birddog,Buffalo Tom,Flying Burrito Brothers.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

The Minus 5 – Let the war against music begin
    Young Fresh Fellows – Because we hate you
    "2 Bands, 2 CD’s, one price" it says on the cover, and that’s just what you get.

Both bands feature Scott McCaughey (part-time REM sideman, occasional Walkabout).

The Minus 5 are a kind of all-star band, with Peter Buck (REM), Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow (Posies), Robyn Hitchcock (Soft Boys) specializing in Beach Boys/Beatles/Big Star style pop songs.

The Young Fresh Fellows play some fine bubblegum-garage-trash-punk-pop (to be played very loud!), including a wonderful cover of Boyce & Hart’s ‘I wonder what she’s doing tonight’

(trivia question: which other Boyce & Hart song was covered by which punk band?)

SG
    Participant

Here`s what I`ve been listening to recently:

The Stooges-The Stooges-first album,not as strong as Funhouse or Raw Power but still has some great songs.

Retsin-Sweet Luck Of Amaryissis-Tara Jane O`neil(Rodan/Sonora Pine,she also played drums on Jason`s songs on Sebadoh`s Bakesale album)and Cynthia Nelson(Ruby Falls)mellow indie stuff,like it alot.

Neko Case And Her Boyfriends-Furnace Room Lullaby-great album,highly recommended if you like twangy music.

The Ramones-Rocket To Russia-classic!lots of great songs,great cover of Surfin Bird.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.