Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic What’s on your turntable and why: Part 3, A Barlow’s Tale…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Mattman
    Participant

Yeah, I made another one… My legendary sequal to Allison’s legendary post was getting a bit heavy itself, so here you go… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Five albums for me to list again (because my brain thinks in 3, 5 ,and 7’s… [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Odd numbers for an odd brain… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Sebadoh, ‘III’. Along with ‘Bakesale’, this is definitely one of their best albums.

Frank Black and the Catholics, ‘Pistolero’. This has got to be his best work since the Pixies! [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

And now for the GBV related triathalon… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Robert Pollard, ‘Speak Kindly of you Volunteer Fire Department’. Another of Bob’s "solo" albums, which really isn’t that solo since GBV’s current lead guitarist, Doug Gillard, also plays on all the tracks. Given that Pollard releases 4 or 5 albums of some sort per year, I guess they can’t all be under GBV…

Airport 5, ‘Tower in the Fountain of Spark’. Pollard teams up with former GBV guitarist/songwriter, Tobin Sprout. Very good to hear them writing together again.

eyesinweasel, ‘Wrinkled Thoughts’. Tobin Sprout’s new band (w/o Pollard). This is one of the best albums I’ve listened to in a long time. Best of the ones I’ve listed here. I highly recommend it… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

peter holsapple and chris stamey–mavericks. the two guys from the db’s reunite in the early 90s to make a little more mellow, a little more mature, but still a great album.

smog–knock knock. its got ghetto kids singing backup.

martin phillips–sketch book: vol. one. stuff that the man that is the chills recorded on a 4 track at his house over time.

robert forster–danger in the past. great line from the great song ‘baby stones’: ‘everyman for the rest of your life will be less than me’

3Ds–hellzapoppin. kiwi rock.

John Dyson
    Participant

elastica – bbc sessions

supergrass – i should coco

belle & sebastien – the boy with the arab strap

slint – spiderland

gbv – isolation drills

It’s a little difficult to keep up to date with all of Rob Pollard’s stuff over here in the Uk – I had to find my copy of ID in London as no-where here in Birmingham stocked it. good to hear there are other fans out there…

Robert
    Participant

White Stripes -White Blood Cells
    Weezer -Pinkerton
    Tom Waits -Swordfishtrombones
    Iron Maiden -Number Of The Beast [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Beck -Odelay

AGAP
    Participant

Been listening to these all nite at work…well for awhile anyways [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The Jesus And Mary Chain…Barbed Wire Kisses
    Modest Mouse…The Moon & Antartica
    Mercury Rev…All is Dream

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Currently listening to:
    Lisa Ekdahl-Back To Earth-Swedish jazz singer,lotta old standards-cool.

Swervedriver-Ejector Seat Reservation-Sonic Brit band,good songs,alot better then the album after it,"The Birds" reminds me of Teenage Fanclub.

Jawbox-Jawbox-proto emo rock band from DC,"Won`t Come Off" sounds kinda like a congo line in a mosh pit.Cool lyrics too-"Gonna make that bastard sing!".

Royal Trux-Cats And Dogs-sounds like they overdosed on Exile On Main Street.A sloppy bluesy mess-way cool.

Mean Red Spiders-Starsandsons-A Canadian My Bloody Valentine.Floaty guitars,dreamy female vocals.

Freakwater-Old Paint-2 gals from Kentucky who started out singing along to Loretta Lynn records as kids,awesome harmonies in bluegrass tradition.If you like acoustic country music,check them out.

malcom
    Participant

My list

Saint Etienne-Tiger Bay

Pavement-Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

Dinosaur Jr.-Where You Been

Kazaa Mix 1-Mp3 mix, mostly Ozomatli, the Pixies, and Tom Tom Club

Weezer-Green Album

PeteSome
    Participant

Outkast – stankonia
    Turin Brakes – the optimist
    Spiritulised – ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
    Blur – blur
    Bob Mould – last dog and pony show

just the records that are in my bag at the mo, which means I listen to them loads. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

the Skids – Dunfermline ( colection of the Skids’ finest moments)

In memory of guitarist Stuart Adamson who died last week. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

Somehow the Skids stuff (from 1979/1980) has stood the test of time better than that of Stuart Adamson’s own band Big Country…..

malcom
    Participant

Nothing TOO different

Charles Mingus-Ken Burns Jazz-I just can’t get over this stuff

John Fruisciante-Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt-again

Beta Band-The Three EP’s and Hot SHot’s 2-some guy at work Burned these in Exchange for burns of MBV’s Loveless and Buckethead’s MOnsters and Robots.

Buckethead-Monsters and Robots-hmmm [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Primus-Antipop-good stuff for houscleaning

Flaming Lips-Clouds Taste Metallic

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: EvIl MaLCoM WiSheS yOU a HaPpY XmAs ]</p>

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

Method Man-Tical-nothing says chrsitmas like bass in yer face
    Supersuckers-La Mano Cornuda-just bought it
    Sonic Youth-Washing Machine-just luv it
    downstairs at my house…
    Floyd-Division Bell-pink is great christmas music
    The Gratyeful Dead-one of the many Dick’s picks albums…damn longhairs! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think I gave up on the Flaming Lips after the clouds started tasting metallic. Haven’t bought the Green Album for the same reason after buying Pinkerton. That, and the radio burned out HASH PIPE within the first 2 days of its release.

SG
    Participant

Malcom-Mingus was the best!problably my fav jazz musician,I heard about 15 of his albums,all of them way cool.The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady, Right Now At The Jazz Workshop,and Mingus Ah Um are my 3 favs.

I have a few more to add:

Vic Chesnutt-The Salesman And Bernadette-Lambchop backs him up on this,pretty good album,his lyrics are always impressive-"a man dripping with vitalis said I looked like Joe Namath","native tongue on the TV blaring like an old Peavey".

Henry`s Dress-Henry`s Dress-JAMC style noise pop.

The Cramps-Bad Music For Bad People-bare bones rockabilly punk.Poison Ivy`s guitar solos are always cool,love the reverby tone.

overexposed
    Participant

Lucero-s/t soulfull country rock from little rock. Fantastic album, but really hard to find, unless you’re from Arkansas

Frank Black- Teenager of the Year

Shadow’s Fall- Of One Blood

Cave In- Jupiter

Fugazi- In On the Kill Taker

Agorophobic Nosebleed

just a few things I’ve been listening to a little too much lately. I hope everyone has a merry xmas. And be careful if you have to travel anywhere. (I’ve got a 14hr drive ahead of me tomarrow.)

malcom
    Participant

Theres nothing too wrong with the green album I got mine on the cheap for less than $10 except that it sounds quite similar to the Blue Album. I got mine on the cheap for less than $10, but it isn’t worth full price. Pinkerton is the best Weezer album by far.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Dark Star – Twenty twenty sound
    English band, album from some years ago, some excellent dark songs with some nice strange guitar-stuff, what has become of them?…..

…and some stuff from this year that was still lying around (a little neglected…):

Pixies – Complete ‘B’-sides
    Lisa Marr Experience – 4 AM
    Orange Humble Band – Humblin’ (Across America) (with Ken Stringfellow/Posies and Jody Stephens/Big Star)
    Neko Case – Canadian Amp
    David Barbe – Comet of the season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.