Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic What’s on your turntable and why: Part 2, The Quest for the

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

Allison-glad to hear you got the first Sparklehorse album,I still think it`s the best one,even though the other albums are close behind.
    Merc Rev`s Boces is a good album,I like Yerself Is Steam more but Boces is pretty good as well.
    Glad to hear you got the new Modest Mouse ep too.

Halfman-Mazzy Star was great,their first album She Hangs Brightly is my fav,the new Hope Sandoval album is so good that I think it`ll be in my cd player until the end of the year,one of my fav albums of this year.
    Helmet I don`t like as much as Jawbox,did you know that Page Hamilton of Helmet is jazz and classical trained guitarist?he listens to John Coltrane,Bill Evans,and Bartok more then anything else,I find that cool.
    yes,Will Oldham`s voice does fall apart alot,and it`s cool!check out Lost Blues And Other Songs if you see it around,lots of great songs on that.
    Shakti with John McLaughlin I bought 10 years ago,the violinist on it is Ravi Shakar`s nephew,McLaughlin`s music is great,check out the album he did with Carlos Santana from 73-Love ,Devotion,and Surrender.
    Don Cabbalero is a great band,they play what`s been called math rock,weird time signatures and stuff like that.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Salamiguy,

With you on the 1st sparklehorse being the best, interested in the lyrics as well…I have a hell of a time making them out. Spaceboy probably knows them all [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Picking up the new Mercury Rev today, finally have some cash [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] From all reports here it should be amazing..cool.

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Allison-just sent you a pm with a Sparklehorse lyric for a title!

ps-Halfman-sent you a pm too.

Cloud9
    Participant

Hey Allison

Here U Can Find Them All:
    Sparklehorse Songbook

C Ya

De Wereld Is Klein
    De Wereld is Fijn
    Ik Wou Dat Ik M Kon Zijn

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Spaceboy,

Thanks for the link, knew you would have some info on the lyrics…actually all the info [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Halfman
    Participant

Thanks Spaceboy! Will go check out the lyrics now.

Do you think KerbDogman will have you and me rescuing sore-ass ducks from saltwater in the art thread? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tom

Cloud9
    Participant

Hey

Yr Welcome
    He Has Some Sad + Beautiful Lyrics

Im very curious what Kerb Come Up With
    Cant Wait 4 The Next Episode

Hey Half Man

U Must Buy Will Oldham – Guarapero/Lost Blues 2
    That Album Has The Most Beautiful Song Will Ever Wrote, But Thats My Humble Opinion
    "The Spider’s Dude Is Often There"
    Many Of His Songs Make Me Cry But This 1 Makes Me Cry + Sad + Happy + Whatever More

All Of His Albums Are Great, So Buy Them All My Friend

C Ya

Halfman
    Participant

Got some diverse jams spinning at the moment.

Bought Mazzy Star "So Tonight That I Might See".

Nice collection of slow moody, but crisp songs. Heard "Fade Into You" when it came out off of that record. A nice song, as was every other one Hope and David made. Perhaps this was another band who couldn’t make bad songs. Looking forward to hearing Hope’s new disc that Salami and others have spoken of.

Also bought Helmet "Meantime". Lots of power chording here, especially with their hit "Unsung". It can get repetitive throughout the album but for some reason, it still sounds good, even after seven years of hearing them the first time. Their lyrics on this album also appear confusing on the surface but I think they write in much the same vein as Jawbox with a kind of hidden story/allowance for interpretation/application bent. It takes some talent, or at least strong chemicals to do this…..

Borrowed from Neighbor Man:
    Palace Brothers "There Is No-One What Will Take Care Of You"
    Don Caballero "American Don"
    and Shakti with John McLaughlin.

Palace Bro’s is musically neat and similar to the Sparklehorse VivaDixie. Is the breaking of Oldham’s voice a regular thing or just on this record? Somehow it fits well with the rest. More on them later. Need time to take in fully.
    Caballero and Shakti are both instrumentals so far. Not done listening to any of these three yet. Shakti is Indian jazz. McLaughlin has his acoustic guitar modified so that there are a diagonal set of strings that go across the regular set right over the opening on the body. Very weird looking but it sounds pretty good. Caballero defies description at this point.

On Sparklehorse, I am convinced of Linkous’s genius. On VivaDixie, he seems to have the songs listed in a story format with the -short blurb songs like Double Pumper Holly and Little Bastard Choo Choo falling in between the good songs. I would think he is using transition here but I haven’t been able to figure out a plot yet. Lyrics would be nice anyone….

Tom

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: Half-Man ]</p>

malcom
    Participant

Pavement-Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

Niacin-Self titled-Niacin’s this band with Dennis Chambers on Drums, Billy Sheehan on bass, and some other famous guy on Hammond B-3. It’s a chops a thon-but somehow remains cool

Pixies-Trompe Le Mond

Dandy Warhols-Thriteen Tales From Urban Bohemia-its kitsh, but not bad

Weezer-Blue Album

SG
    Participant

Listened to these today:
    Down By Law-Punkrockacademyfightsong
    Social Distortion-Social Distortion
    Bikini Kill-Singles
    Starflyer 59-She`s The Queen ep
    Eric Dolphy-The Illinois Concert
    Tom Waits-Foriegn Affairs
    Juliana Hatfield-Only Everything
    Richard Buckner-The Hill

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Dump – That skinny motherfucker with the high voice?

Found it (finally) today at the best record-store in Holland (if you are interested: Sounds in Venlo). It’s James McNew from Yo la Tengo doing a lot of Prince covers in a kind of lo-fi way, I especially love ‘1999’, done in a dreamy Stereolab-like way, it gives the line ‘I was dreaming when I wrote this…’ a whole new dimension! other highlights: ‘Raspberry Baret’ and ‘Pop Life’.

Also been listening to:
    East River Pipe – The Gasolene Age
    Built to Spill – Ancient Melodies…..
    Snowpony (see the ‘I just bought….’-topic)
    the new Fugazi

now listening to a Belgian radio show, last three songs played (yes, quality radio does exist!):

Nick Cave – Into my arms
    Triffids – Wide open road
    Leonard Cohen – In my secret life

SG
    Participant

Listened to these on the weekend:
    Perfume Tree-Feeler
    Drugstore-White Magic For Lovers
    Sunny Day Real Estate-Diary
    Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage
    Beat Happening-Jamboree
    Johnny Griffen-A Blowin Session
    Annette Hanshaw-1928-29
    Pink Floyd-Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Syd Barrett-The Madcaps Laughs
    Pennywise-About Time

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.