Home › Forums › General Discussions › Open Topic › What’s on your turntable and why: Part 2, The Quest for the
- This topic has 71 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 21 years, 5 months ago by SG.
September 5, 2001 at 9:15 pm #44795
So, Allison’s original, legendary post on this topic was getting a bit long in the tooth… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
So I made another one so that we don’t have to skip past 6 pages to get to the latest stuff. I even gave it a 2nd title, because all sequals have one. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Anyway, on to the latest disks Mattman’s been spinning…
1. Minutemen, ‘Double Nickels on the Dime’ That amazon kidpunkrock guy made me go back and listen to this one again. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
2. Husker Du, ‘New Day Rising’ Well, after listening to the Minutemen, I figured I might as well kick it old-school style and do the Du. (Sorry, that was lame, but I couldn’t resist… [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )
3. Modest Mouse, ‘This is a Long Drive…….’ Way too long of a title for my lazy arse to type out. MM is pretty much a regular requirement, almost up there w/ J… [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
4. Robert Pollard, ‘Not In My Airforce’ The brains behind Guided By Voices turns out songs like a factory… Averages a new GBV album, EP, and solo album a year. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] The solo stuff’s abit more bizaar that GBV standard, but still good.
5. Servotron, ‘Entertainment Program for Humans (Second Variety)’ the 2nd album that came out in 98, yet I missed out on until I happened across it the other day. Not quiet as good as the first (No Room For Humans) but almost. Too bad they cancelled the musical production portion of the robot revolution (read: they broke up.) I’m sure the Servotron Robot Allegiance (SRA) has some other method in mind to takeover and destroy humanity. Between zombies, hostile aliens, and the upcoming robot resolutions, Allison and I, and our fellow underground allies are going to be very busy… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Well, that’s enough for now… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Mattman ]</p>September 6, 2001 at 12:05 am #66698
First things first… I’ve seen this movie… I had no idea the Thunderbroom was only in dreams come the end of the film. Who knew!?!
Dinosaur Jr. – Ear Splitting Country (CDR [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] )
Man Or Astroman – Destroy All Astromen
Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (Disk 1)
A Perfect Circle – Mer De Noms
Tool – Aenema
Weezer – Weezer 
Modest Mouse – This Is A Long Way…
Modest Mouse – Lonesome Crowded WestSeptember 6, 2001 at 12:53 am #66699
Wilco – Being There
Pearl Jam compilation
Wilco – Summerteeth
Jane’s Addiction – Kettle Whistle + remixes
Natural Born Killers Soundtrack
The Point SoundtrackSeptember 6, 2001 at 1:51 am #66700
You’ll find the definition of the Thunderbroom Here. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] (See also: boomstick and pushbroom.)
For more information on such things, be sure to thoroughly study This Page. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Mattman ]</p>September 6, 2001 at 5:55 am #66701
Well, the turntable is in NY & broken, but I am currently borrowing a 3-disc changer…
– Marilyn Manson: The Last Tour on Earth
– Ghazal: As Night Falls on the Silk Road
– Elvis Presley: The 1968 Comeback Special
Rosa [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]September 6, 2001 at 7:56 am #66702
1: Hayden – Skyscraper National Park (CdR)
His New Album, Only Availbe in Canada
Thanx 2 Audiogalaxy I have It, Great Album
2: Dinosaur Jr – Green Mind
3: Gore Slut – Girl + Turtles
4: Sparklehorse – Its A Wonderful Life
5: Songs Ohia – Live At Schubart
[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Not2Amused ]</p>September 6, 2001 at 10:30 am #66703
Some good picks,folks.
Mattman-check out Pollard`s "Kid Marine" album if you don`t already have it,better then the last few GBV albums.I don`t have "Not In My Airforce" but heard a few songs from it,it does sound good.Pollard I heard is going to collaborate with Superchunk`s Mac McCaughan soon.
I heard a Servatron song on the radio last year,they`re cool.
Husker is always worth hearing,I have a good name for a Husker Du tribute album-Husker See Husker Du
I have a Zen Arcade tribute which is ok,not all of it is great but some of it is cool;Hammerhead does"Something I learned today",Zuzu`s Petals does"standing by the sea",Muskalunge does"Chartered trips",one of strange things is Big Trouble House covering "Turn On The News" country style!they play it country for the first half and then rock out at the end.September 6, 2001 at 1:32 pm #66704
<blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rosa:
– Marilyn Manson: The Last Tour on Earth
Hi-five to you. I’m not a huge Manson fan, but I do have some CDs, and a nom de plur of ‘Brian Warner’ over on another board.September 6, 2001 at 3:21 pm #66705
Hellacopters…High Visibility…Hellacopterhead just can’t help myself…Payin the Dues is coming in a close 2nd
Too Loose The Best of Johnny Thunders…two disc best of with tons of great songs. All the hits including One Track Mind, Pirate Love, Born To Lose, In Cold Blood and Too Much Junkie Business to name just a few. Picked this up thru junglerecords.com great site even has bio info.
transister sound & lighting co. Saw these guys open for Swervedriver, what a show!!!
Radio Birdman The Essential 1974-1978, released recently by sub pop…very cool. Aloha Steve & Dano, Snake, Non Stop Girls, What Gives and Hanging On( haven’t stopped listening to this one today…WOW WOW WOW)
Modest Mouse…Its a Long Drive/Lonesome Crowded West these get tons of play thru the day. Starting to be a requirement for me as well.
Mattman I am up for anything this fall, agree we have made some cool additions to the underground thing… [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] Love the title in a tribute sort of way, the other thread was getting kinda long [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Looking forward to having Ear Bleeding Country in less than a month [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] Also waiting on the new Hydromatics, Bob Mould and Modest Mouse.. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
AllisonSeptember 6, 2001 at 3:38 pm #66706
I hope my local music store has the new Radio Birdman,I really want to check that out.
The best of Johnny Thunders sounds cool-Born To Lose is a great song!is Chinease Rocks on it?I heard those 2 songs on the Rhino comp Blank Generation.
I was listening to the Modest Mouse profile I have taped from the radio and they mentioned that Iassac Brock has a solo album coming out on sub pop under the monicker Ugly Cassanova,I don`t know if it`s out yet but look for that,I wonder if it will sound like the Mouse?September 6, 2001 at 4:24 pm #66707
1)Spacemen 3: Recuring, got it for $3.99 at a local record strore, not bad stuff!
2) Radiohead-THe Bends, need I say more?
3) Sonic Youth-Dirty,
4) Charles MIngus-THe Ken Burns Jazz series
5) John Frusciante- To Record Only Water for Ten Days, I love John
6) Ben Folds Five- Whatever and Ever Amen-Great songwriter, he isSeptember 6, 2001 at 4:47 pm #66708
That Ken Burns jazz series is pretty good,I have the Art Blakey and Sonny Rollins ones,very cool.
If you to check out a cool Mingus album,try to find"Right Now At The Jazz Workshop" it has 2 25 min songs that are like rollarcoaster rides."The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady" is great also,I think I`ll listen to it later.
SY`s Dirty is good,some critics are down on it,my fav song is the one Lee sings-"Wish Fulfillment","Chapel Hill","Swimsuit Issue" are great also,"Theresa`s Sound World" reminds me of a girl from school I used to know,very strange girl,the song seems to suit her,she was always nice to me.
Keep an eye out for Spacemen 3-Perfect Perscription,great album and if you have`nt checked out Spiritualized yet do so-"Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space is my pick for them.;ditto for Flying Saucer Attack,their 1st album is amazing,they cover Suede`s "The Drowners".September 6, 2001 at 6:41 pm #66709
Chinese Rocks is on the Thunders best of, also has Personality Crisis, Great Big Kiss and tons more
great stuff there, Thunders diary and MC5 stuff as well. Think Dee Dee Ramone wrote Chinese Rocks but The Ramones didn’t do it as its about Heroin.
you should be able to download some Radio Birdman songs somewhere, there are 22 songs on the disc…not all are great. My fav currently is Hanging On.September 6, 2001 at 6:53 pm #66710
Maybe Audiogalaxy will have the Radio birdman
I`m trying to get a song on ag by Hazel called "Cosmic Allison"!September 7, 2001 at 9:13 pm #66711
Dream Syndicate – The days of wine and roses (reissue on Rhino, with a lot of bonus-tracks)
After hearing the Strokes (see elsewhere) I just wanted to hear some real music!
The Angels of Light – How I loved you
Band of Michael Gira (Swans), it’s a beautiful album, very quiet (not unlike Nick Cave’s latest album), with some of the most beautiful lyrics I’ve heard (and read) for a very long time, my album of the year thus far…..
Mercury Rev – All is dream
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)