Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room What’re YOUR toys?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author

FU
    Participant

Are you looking for the Feedbacker/Distortion? It’s cool, but I found it wasn’t as cool as advertised. I dumped mine. I had some trouble coordinating the feedback stomp to hold the right note. I just turned up my guitar/pedlas/amp for instant feedback if waanted.

We’re playing this weekend. I’m going 100% Jazzmaster. Not even gonna bring the Flying V. The guys in the band said they like the sound of the Jazzy better. That and I made them listen to Dino’s catalog for the past three years.

Now a pan pedal or tremolo pan is interesting. Especially with two amps. I love being able to have the wah, phaser and or flanger going thru different cabs. Great stereo sound. Really shines with one guitar. Lost in the shuffle w/two. I wonder if the pan will whip the signal around like Led Zeppelin or MBV.

Randy Jane
    Participant

Yeah, the Feedbacker/Distortion. Well, if you say it sucks, then I’ll save my $150 for something else haha.
    I am wanting to throw the signal from side to side (of the stage). I have a Dunlop volume rocker pedal, that doesn’t work. I’m going to make it work and make it stereo, and each jack will have two amps on it eventually. I could do one of the four amps having different effects on it or something like that. so like one amp with a flanger and two clean and one with chorus….or something. I’m the only guitarist in the band, so I don’t have to try to fight for volume with anyone, just between my amps. I also want to get a looper. Anyone tried the (ehhh) Boss Looper? FU? Try it yet?

R/J

SonicD
    Participant

It sucks, its just like a DS1, wimpy emo distortion, and the feedbacker is baaad. Turn your amp loud and it will sound better.

FU
    Participant

Nah haven’t tried the looper. The clsoest thing I have to that is the danelectro backtalk. Does loop but does some cool quasi-backwards moves.

Have you guys seen the new Boss/Fender Modeling pedals?

Bos struck a deal with fender to do their digi-magic and clone tweed amps and blackface amps. Haven’t heard it yet, but like usual why buy a pedla that sounds like a cranked tube amp when you can just buy a tube amp? but if it works, then you don’t have to take your old stuff out.

Of course we all know that the audience has no clue whether your playing a 59 les paul or a 95 schlepaphone.

Randy Jane
    Participant

Right. The Marshall Mosfet heads look just like the tube versions. They also sound enough like them to get by…so I say I’ll spend $150 – $250 on those any day before a JCM 800 RI. Screw those things. I still really want an original Plexi though. 8)
    I want to get a lot of different distortions, fuzzes and overdrives…as many as poosible. I love hearing the different tones that are available at my feet. I’m thinking about buying another Zoom pedal with the exp. pedal built in. I have enough guitars and amps for a while, I need to build my pedals up a bit.
    I need an EQ rack or pedal, don’t care which one, because it will stay in the rack either way. I also need to build a buffer. I’ll be running a lot of amps, and I want to make sure they stay ok.

R/J

sfbarker
    Participant

Yeah, the JCM 800s are blowing my mind. I bought one in 1998 for $300 used from Mars Music, I loved it, but it was super clean and needed pedals to get distortion, etc. I kept this amp for a long time, I loved it. Then I had my second kid at age 21 and needed some extra money for co-pays, etc. So I sold it. $650 on eBay…go me.

I’m at Guitar Center this weekend and see one. "I wonder how much that is going for, I wouldn’t mind having one of those again?"

$1599.99

Seriously? I mean, I dug that amp, but I can get the same tone out of a new tube amp at a fraction of the price. I honestly couldn’t believe it. I just kept thinking "Damn, if I had that now, I could get some major money…bummer."

Randy Jane
    Participant

I know, I sold my ’72 Fender Princeton Reverb for like, $250 or $300 a few years back and they’re pushing close to a grand now. Vintage stuff is going up quick. All of Marshalls products went up this year again. It’s stupid, you can get an original JCM800 for less than you can get the re-issues for and they aren’t as good. I like my Mosfet a lot, it sounds great, and is cheap. Luckily not a ton of people know about them so Marshall hasn’t re-issued them……yet. If/when they do, they’ll jack up the prices for sure. I gotta get another one before anything like that happens haha. I also need a couple of Peavey Mark III Musician heads as well. I had one a few years back and killed it. Loved that thing, it was my first head and I fried it. Friggin loud too, 225W.

R/J

SonicD
    Participant

Its pretty close to impossible to get vintage stuff for a resonable price here.

bhdoug
    Participant

how does the marshall mosfet sound? i’m in the market for a new head, my current ’74 acoustic 150 has been shocking the heck out of me all week.

SonicD
    Participant

Are you using an acoustic amp for electric? Rad!

I’m pissed off cause you cannot get good a good amp for an affordable price. All they have is Mesa’s, Orange’s, Rolands and 1-2 very digital crappy Fender amps. I want some more vintage shops in here! now!

I cant belive that J bought his first ’65 Jazzmaster for only 300 bucks. I bought my CIJ for double the price. Fuck.

FU
    Participant

What do you want? I can find anything. Seriuosly. I just bought another blackface(66) showman head for $400.
    It’s loud as hell, tube, vintage and indestructible(if you don’t put the wrong tubes in it!). Send me a PM and I’ll find what you’re looking for at the price you want to pay.

Those Carvin heads with the four or five band eq’s are the STEAL of the year. All you guys pining for those awesome, but overpriced 800’s should try them out. They can be bought for like $200. 100 watts, some close to plexi circuits and totally undervalued. You could have two stacks, just like our man J, for under $1000.

The key is to get to know the shops and the people who work there. Don’t "f" around. be knowledgable about what you’re looking for(prices, problems, recent sales). Let people know what you’re looking for. Don’t dick around on price. haggle, but know what you’re buying, so the negotiation is short and smooth.Do not be afraid to walk away. Do not be afraid to pull the trigger. Have cash. Money talks, BS walks. I’m willing to bet that there is good vintage stuff where you are. But like anywhere, the best stuff never hits the showroom floor. That’s why you’ve gotta network. My guys call me when things I’m looking for come in. I se them before they hit floor and usually walk out with a reasonable, if not great deal. And there’s always Ebay…but I’m not giving up all secrets that easily.

Randy Jane
    Participant

Ebay is getting more expensive. YOu can’t just go on there like I used to and buy a guitar for $25 after shipping anymore. (the guitars like that that I bought worked at that time too). However, if you know what you’re looking for, projects, damaged, as is, etc. YOu can get a nice Gibson guitar with no hardware or anything, just body and neck for like $250, not too bad. There are TONS of great deals there you just have to find them. A lot of people can’t spell, keep that in mind too, for instance if you go on there right now and look for a Squier guitar, you’ll find a lot. If you look for a Squire guitar though, you’ll find about the same amount, but they aren’t as much. There was a nice Marshall JCM800 B cab in the shop not too long ago and they only wanted $300 just to get it out of there. They have so much new stuff that old amps and guitars don’t have much room anymore. All these kids want new guitars like their friends, but could easily have better guitars if they only new.
    Just like me for instance, I have a full stack. The stack doesn’t match, but whatever! The Marshall Mosfet head was $225 on Ebay, the Laney 412 top cab was $94 at the guitar shop and the Yamaha 412 bottom cab was $50 at a different shop. Now granted I still have to buy three more 12’s for my bottom cab, but that’s a full stack for: $369!

Marshall Mosfet, basically it was designed to sound like a tube Marshall. The tone is very similar to a JCM800, the volume is that of a SS amp though. It will get friggen LOUD though, but not like a tubed 800. It’s 50W @ 8ohms and 100W @ 4ohms. I have only tried mine with one cab so far and it is loud. The reverb is by far the best spring reverb I’ve ever heard. You can get a ton of different styles with it, Surf, Country, Metal, Punk…whatever you want, I’ve done any style that I want to play on it (and I play any style that comes to my mind, mainly punk and blues and some funk here and there). The amp wont let you down especially for the price. There was another Mosfet at the guitar shop here right after I bought mine for $200. I almost bought it, but I didn’t because I didn’t know how to work the amp and get more than one crappy tone. You’ll hate the amp until you figure it out.

R/J

SonicD
    Participant
    "FU " wrote:
    What do you want? I can find anything. Seriuosly. I just bought another blackface(66) showman head for $400.
    It’s loud as hell, tube, vintage and indestructible(if you don’t put the wrong tubes in it!). Send me a PM and I’ll find what you’re looking for at the price you want to pay.

Those Carvin heads with the four or five band eq’s are the STEAL of the year. All you guys pining for those awesome, but overpriced 800’s should try them out. They can be bought for like $200. 100 watts, some close to plexi circuits and totally undervalued. You could have two stacks, just like our man J, for under $1000.

The key is to get to know the shops and the people who work there. Don’t "f" around. be knowledgable about what you’re looking for(prices, problems, recent sales). Let people know what you’re looking for. Don’t dick around on price. haggle, but know what you’re buying, so the negotiation is short and smooth.Do not be afraid to walk away. Do not be afraid to pull the trigger. Have cash. Money talks, BS walks. I’m willing to bet that there is good vintage stuff where you are. But like anywhere, the best stuff never hits the showroom floor. That’s why you’ve gotta network. My guys call me when things I’m looking for come in. I se them before they hit floor and usually walk out with a reasonable, if not great deal. And there’s always Ebay…but I’m not giving up all secrets that easily.

I’m not looking for anything at the moment, but it just pisses me off how everything is so limited around here. There is like 3 shops aroud here and they all have either digital amps or buget amps or really expensive ones.

Yeah Ebay is being really annoying in these past few months, none of the sellers want to ship to Europe and the stuff is getting exepensive. The only store that has Fender amps near me has only 4, which is think is bad for the shop…

Randy Jane
    Participant

it’s people like you who motivate me to start making amps! I want to build amps, that’s my biggest goal for electronics. Build an amp that already exists (from schematics and parts) and then make it better from that. I don’t want to build all of this crap into my amps either, there are to be no digital effects at all. Spring Reverb, etc. IF there are effects other than reverb then they will be built by hand on a board vintage style and will be great. Also, I want them to be friggen loud, BUT hold their tone at high volume. Peavey did it with the JSX amps, those things rock.
    I’m going to start out with a combo though and some effect pedals and such. I’ve started building a few guitars and basses, they turned out really well for the tools that I have.

R/J

SonicD
    Participant

Cool,good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.