Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room What pedals are used for…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DigitalDogParty
    Participant

Excuse me. I am sort of new to the equipment world of music, so please forgive me. I have heard about the certain types of pedals J uses within his music, but I’m curious. As for what songs are used for what? I’m sorta specifically asking for a certain style that I’m more interested in. For example, the tone in the Beyond album. Songs like, "Pick Me Up". I really enjoy that type of fuzz. What pedal is used for that? And then songs like "Tarpit". This would really help me. And please, I don’t think I have the money to throw out there on just guesses. I’m looking for straight up known facts. Not on guesses. Thank you.

tonas

A lot of J’s tone live revolves around his Jazzmasters, Mashall plexi stacks along with vintage Electro Harmonix Big Muffs. I believe this was probably the case in the early days when they recorded YLAOM as well. Recently on albums like Beyond and Farm J records with old telecasters, and small combo amps (Fender deluxe reverbs, pricetons, etc.) along with his vintage Big Muffs.

Old Marshall Plexi’s are expensive, but I’m sure if you went after a smaller tube combo amp with a Big Muff you could probably get pretty close to J’s tone. Usually a guitar shop will let you play around a bit, so go test out some combinations at a shop before you buy.

Hope this helps. :)

Matthoney
    Participant

Like Tonas said, J uses Jazzmasters live, but in the studio he uses Teles for leads and solos and a les Paul jr for the rhythm stuff. I seem to recall an interview where J said he used an old fender champ amp to record stuff, but I’m not completely sure on that.

It’s hard to really place what pedals J used on a particular song (especially within the last couple of years) since J is crazy about effects and owns literally hundreds of them. He once said to get different tones, he just hooks a lot of them up and turns them all on. So unfortunately, it’s hard to tell you exactly what he used on any of his songs. However, you really can’t go wrong with a Big Muff. Starting out, that was the only fuzz pedal he had for at least the first three records, and has stayed in his rig since then.

hune.prut
    Participant

Where did you guys get this information??

hune.prut
    Participant
    hune.prut
    Participant

Farm was recorded in Mascis’s home studio. I figured that asking about gear was a good place to start our conversation. “It’s on the top floor, the third floor of the house. We recorded to Pro Tools. We have a pretty good setup. It sounds pretty good. And we mixed to tape. I’ve got a lot of cool mic preamps, mic stuff. We did the basic tracks live but we only kept the drums. I had two main recording setups: a Gibson Les Paul Junior through a tweed Fender Deluxe amp, and lead is more like just the 58 Fender Telecaster through a Vox Super Berkeley which is sorta the American AC15 from the 60s. And a lot of fuzz boxes. A lot of different ones. I just plug in a bunch of fuzz boxes, like I’d use a Roland BeeBaa Fuzz, a Super Fuzz, Big Cheese Love Tone, an Analog Man. I’d just plug in a bunch of pedals together and see what it sounded like.”

Wel This confirmes Farm. Sorry guys… :?

tonas

We’ve discussed J’s ever evolving rig numerous times on this site. Thtas cool you found an article that describes what he used mainly on farm.

This thread is from a few years ago and has a lot of info too.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10102&hilit=the+only+thread+about+j+mascis+gear

You might find some good stuff there too.

DigitalDogParty
    Participant

Hm. Thanks a lot, guys, this really helps. I’ll be sure to take your tips and such greatly.

I was about to win a Russian Muff on Ebay but lost at the last second. So I was thinking of going with a USA one. Is it safe to assume that that will work just as good?

hune.prut
    Participant

thanks man. It’s here on the board in full length somewhere…

hune.prut
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.