Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Cool. Man, nobody lusts after the good stuff more than I do! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/furiousgeorge.gif[/img]

Chris

"People want to know why…I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy — and I keep it in a jar on my desk." <-Stephen King

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Ok… here’s the original guy.. heres the status. I’ve been researching lately and managed to go to various shops trying to find just the right guitar. I’m still as confused as ever…. Whats the real difference between a tele and a strat? If I wanted better pickups couldn’t I just put new ones in the mex strat I have? If I did what type of pickups? Musician friend has fender Lace sensors…. Look… I’ve gotten to be a decent guitar player… but I never picked up on the gear side of things. I don’t want to spend more then 600 bucks to go to the next step. I love j’s sound… but pavement and sonic youth’s sound too. I try to incorporate a lot in the way of lead guitar into my songs and I really want that to stand out when I’m playing live or recording. I want the lead to be very distinctive(with alot of sustain and high end)…. but on rhythm I want to be able to have a nice sound as well. Help me out guys… the last salesman was trying to get me to buy a peavey guitar w/ two humbuckers. I’m straying away from humbuckers. Oh by the way… I HATE DOD effects… specifically multi effect pedals. I’ve had a couple before I realized that analog is the way to go. Oh.. which is better the memory man or the boss D-5 delay pedal? Would a compression/sustain pedal help me?

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

ok Mr. Dodgeball. so your’re looking for a trusty guitar, but still sounds kinda indie rock. and for no more then 600$, and you want to keep with the single coils?
    hmm…the main difference between strats and teles is obviously the the body shape. This might sound too simple, but seriously, pick up each one and feel which shape you like. after that is the sound. the strat will sound more airy, cool, california where as the tele will sound more southern, tom petty, good rhythm sound. they have similar bridge p/u sounds, but the neck pickup on a tele is way more full, bassy almost muddy…where as strats have that middle pickup which is balances out everything, and makes the sound more mid-rangey. Steve Malkmus is a strat man. But thurston more used to be seen playing a tele copy (around the time of dirty)

You should never listen to guys who work at guitar stores..and try to buy on-line..because its cheaper. even if you have to figure out what you want at the store first. ebay has way better prices, and way more options.

analog delay is different then boss delay, in that it is shorter, and earthier sounding. it adds a slight echo onto everything, which digital can do to, but digital sound a little more robotic and glitchy, a slight analog delay when boosted can almost be a new type of distortion in the signal, which is why multiple analog delay is great. Digital delay is best for long swirling delays, where everything repeats back onto itself.

you don’t need a compressor pedal unless you already have three other pedals. remember that. the compressor should be your 4th pedal purchased. because you’ll only start to hear what it’s doing if you put it before an overdrive, and wah.

these are my assesments.

as far as after market pickups go…you seymour duncan are very nice, look at the tone chart on their webpage…lace sensors are nice too, but I think you might want a hotter single coil for sonic youth/pavement type stuff.

have fun.

//////////Tt.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Thank you thats very helpful… actually this guitar store I went to after I posted showed me a Deluxe Nashville Tele with a Tex-Mex strat sandwhiched in between two tex-mex tele pickups… I don’t know.. I played it and it sounded wonderful. I guess I’ll have to keep on playing more and trying out more. I can get this for 429…. which isn’t a bad price at all.

Also… I have a big muff, small stone phaser, a hendrix fuzzwah, and dod delay pedal…. don’t you think I should get a compression/sustain pedal? Will it be noticable enough to warrent buying? Oh.. another thing… the options as far as wah are very limited on the one I have now. What wah pedals do you recommend? There are many that say the digitech whammy pedal is great… but i dunno.

Also… I have a fender cab.. is there a huge difference between regular and celestion speakers? The guitar salesman said theres a world of difference. Thank you..

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I admit defeat. I will be sticking with my Epiphone for a few years at least, but I have been scouring the web tonight looking for vintage EH effects. eBay is crawling with tons of J’s gear (at least the stuff he showcased in Max Guitar magazine in July 97.)
    vintage big muff pi’s, memory man, poly chorus, elctric mistress, and the clone theory. Guess I’ll start picking up a few things here and there, it’s not as expensive as I thought. As for the Epi, maybe some new pickups are warranted eventually, but the things plays solid and has ultra-smooth action, so I can hang on to it.
    Can anyone respond to two questions I have?
    1. Has anyone actually compared the vintage EH effects with the newer (easier to find and cheaper) reissues?
    2. Am I wrong in assuming all Fenders are, like my father’s, wide-necked? I like as narrow a neck as possible.

THANKS! Listening to Turnip Farm right now…YOW!!!

Chris

"People want to know why…I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy — and I keep it in a jar on my desk." <-Stephen King

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

It’s been a few days since I’ve checked this message board, and I can’t believe what an interesting, incredibly lively and opinionated discussion a simple question about gear/tone has generated. Put a bunch of guitar geeks in a room together (albeit a virtual one), and watch the fireworks. I love it.

With all the back n’ forth between vintage vs. affordable, Epiphone vs. Gibson, American vs. Mexican, processors vs. the Muff, Boogie vs. Marshall, let’s review a bit of history. When J bought his first guitar back in the early 80s, he ventured into Slimey Bob’s Ripoff Guitar Shop intent on buying a Strat. As the story goes, Bob wanted about $500 for a Strat and that was out of J’s price range at the time. So, Slimey Bob showed him this old ’65 Jazzmaster (incidentally, the Jazzmaster had been discontinued in 1980, I believe, because Fender couldn’t give them away…). If I remember correctly, J paid about 300 bucks for it and settled on it because he loved the feel of the worn-down neck. Of course, that Jazzmaster became the lengendary sticker-covered axe that J has played thoughout most of his career. So much for Strat…to this day, I’ve never seen him play one.

But here’s the point I’m trying to make with this story: When J, Sonic Youth, and other indie bands of the early/mid-80s began playing Jazzmasters and Jaguars, they probably began playing them because (1) they liked the sound and (2) they were relatively inexpensive at the time. If these were sought-after guitars (like the Strat, Tele, and Les Paul), Fender would’ve never stopped making them. As these old axes began to symbolize "indie guitar rock," suddenly everyone seemed to be playing them, from Kurt Cobain (his beloved Jaguar) to My Bloody Valentine. Suddenly, supply and demand kicks up the prices as we see our guitar heroes weilding these cool-looking, slightly strange looking guitars and want one. Realizing this, Fender quickly begins reissuing the Jazzmasters, Jaguars, even the crappy Mustang, and takes it one step further when they create the horrid "Jag-Stang" for Cobain. And suddenly the joke’s on us.

So…what if J had walked out of Slimey Bob’s with that Strat he wanted, or even, God forbit, an old Japanese Strat. He’d still be right where he is today, being talked about and dissected by fans like you and me on a website devoted to him. Because he’s got what no expensive vintage equipment can provide: talent, soul, and despite the stories you hear about his legendary lethargy, the drive, ambition, and work ethic needed to maintain a career in music for over 15 years. So if you really want to emulate J, forget about trying to replicate his "sound" and go out and pick up a 1985 day-glo B.C. Rich for 150 bucks, focus on writing good SONGS, and start your own indie rock revolution.

Kracked Lung

"Hey what’s buggin’ down under there…
    Why’s it screaming, what’s unfair?"

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

F&*K YES, BABY! It’s in the playing, not the gear. NICE GEAR IS A NICETY.

Chris

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hager:

<snip>1. Has anyone actually compared the vintage EH effects with the newer (easier to find and cheaper) reissues?
    2. Am I wrong in assuming all Fenders are, like my father’s, wide-necked? I like as narrow a neck as possible.

THANKS! Listening to Turnip Farm right now…YOW!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can’t answer question #1. But, i’ve found Fenders (strats) difficult to play after playing a Gibson. not only does the neck seem different, but the fretboard doesn’t seem as flat. strats almost feel like they’ve got a concave neck (to me). but, you’ll get used to it. its almost kind of fun to have to fight with it to play what you could play very easily on a gibson/epiphone neck.

Keith

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

ANswer to your questions :

1. EH re-issues mostly sound nowhere near as good as the originals, some people out there can customize the reissues for a $, to sound closer to the oldies….

I have built an original issue 1 big muff (there were 3 different issues, most people prefer the 1st) replica, using authentic EH scematics & component lists,
    it sounds much better than the sovtek reissue
    very very close to the original (alternaTIVE TRANSISTORS HAVE TO BE USED, THE ORIGINALS ARE WAY OUT OF PRODUCTION)

if any you guys are interested i may custom build a few for a good price…

2. Most fender necks are a fair bit thicker than gibsons although playing both regular, i tended to bond with both after a while!

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey Satanic Dodge Ball guy!

You should get some Seymore Duncan Jazzmaster replacement pick ups and put them on your mexican Strat!

Get THREE of them. They are supposidly "Hum canceling." So you would get two bridge and one neck or two neck and one bridge. You can get them in three models: Vintage, Hot wound, and quarter pounder. Maybe get one and try it. They cost about $55.00. Folks get a Japanese jazzmaster and replace the stock pick ups as they are said to be a little weak. I have read on Jazzmaster forums that folks get a Vintage for the neck and a hot wound for the bridge.

I got one and have been fooling around with it. I like the sound.

But you will have to order pick-up covers as they don’t come with the pick-up. And maybe you will have problems attaching it….

What I am doing is I bought a cheap old 63 Harmony jazzmaster look alike (or a mini Jazzmaster… A Jizzcaster.) I plan to put the replacement pic-ups on it. It has it’s own unique (vintage?) Harmoney pick-up and it’s own sound but I am bored with it.

The vintage Jazzmaster pick-up is not quite as hot as the Harmoney pick-ups. but I want to make a new pick guard for it so I have to take it apart anyway.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

well to get back to topic this is what j uses:
    J uses the following guitars: ’58 fender telecaster, ’61 sg-shaped les paul jr, or ’64 fender jazzmaster.

J also uses a mxr blue box, electro-harmonix big muff, groove tubes trio preamp, soldano preamp, vox wah pedal, electro-harmonix electric mistress flanger, electro- harmonix clone theory, electro-harmonix small clone, electro-harmonix memory man, roger mayer axis fuzz, roger mayer supervibe- to amps.

well maby it´s the same things that is on the guitargeek site..I dunno…haven´t checkt it out

then I think you should check out this link…It´s pretty interesting about J and his equipment http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi?acct=mb388380&MyNum=963156619&P=Yes&TL=962597922

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

guys, look if ya wanna sound like j you goota practice, its as simple as that!
    1 or 2000 pedals arnt gonna make you sound like any player.
    How do i know this: giveAny good player 1 pedal and 1 shitty squire, and then give a not so good player 1000 effects and the very best guitar and tell me whos gonna sound more j,clapton, or hendrix?
    later trav

"its better than a kick in the face with a golf shoe"

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

hey guys
    you need to know!
    LOVETONE IS J.mascis’s secret!
    with out the LOVETONE,the elecrtro harmonix
    stuff he uses isn’t half as crazy as the stuff he uses by lovetone!

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

it´s the jazzmaster sound combined with a plexi marshall (super bass) would be my choice morphed through that big muff which makes the swellest sound around…

i prefer to use my old and nasty 65 jazzmaster through a 70 super bass using harmonix -small stone, big muff triangular, maybe that budda wah wah and a schaller fuzz wah yoy yoy bow wow into an old tape echo..
    but then i´m kindda wacked today..

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Those lovetone pedals are pretty good, that´s true but i don´t quite like em´as much as my old harmonix stuff.

but i think the meatball is a pretty cool pedal (haven´t tried it out yet)
    but i don´t think that the big cheese fuzz is such a big deal as the real big muff.

if you like some real crazy boxes you should try out those zvex.

the seekwah is probably the most insane pedal alive and fuzzfactory sound stunnin´.

bob

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.