Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

From Maximum Guitar Magazine, July 1997 in reference to photo#5 (a picture of his ’57 Blue Fender Esquire w/ silver pickguard) on page 39:

" I bought this Esquire for $2000, the most I’ve ever paid for a guitar."

-J Mascis

Chris

"People want to know why…I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy — and I keep it in a jar on my desk." <-Stephen King

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I’d like to remind everyone not to get too wrapped up in vintage equipment for the sake of vintage equipment. It’s all about sound… And though most big name vintage stuff is of top quality, it doesn’t mean that that newer, more affordible stuff isn’t going to get you the sound you want.

I have a ’68 Deluxe Reverb Amp (first year of the silver faces), but that’s the only vintage thing I own.

My main guitar, the Tele is a ’94 Am Std. which is the USA made model. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. It gave me exactly the sound I was looking for.

As for my favorite distortion pedal (and people always look at me funny when I tell them this… Until they hear it [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) It’s a $30, plastic cased, Rocktek pedal that says "DISTORTION" in plain white letters on a pink battery cover. I bought it from a guy at a flea market. Its probably the cheapest dist pedal on the market, but I absolutly love it. I’ve bought a couple of other distortion pedals that are supposedly better, higher quality ones, and yet I always go back to the RockTek…

I’ll still defend Mexican Strats though (I own one after all). The electronics suck, but they play pretty well. They’re made of Poplar which has almost exactly the same sonic properties as the more expensive Alder. If you put in some decent pickups and tuners, and set it up properly, you’ve got a really good sounding guitar for not much $$$.

I’d like to have a nice vintage collection one day, but for now, I’m a poor college student… [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/alien.gif[/img]

We got to talk about what we know… [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

~Mattman

"If you can’t pay money… At least pay attention!" – My Dad

[This message has been edited by Mattman (edited September 28, 2000).]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Amen, brutha! This is not for all the vintage-ites, but for those of you trying to do what you can with what you got: Check out the Zoom 505 multi-effects processor (I think musician’sfriend.com still has it for under $80!) You can create almost ANY sound with the thing, it’s really amazing. Heck, if you don’t like it, I know you can turn around and sell it on eBay for at LEAST what you paid for it. I was skeptical, but bought one (I’m not a poor college student, but an "old guy" with a wife, 3 kids, 3 cats, a dog, and a mortgage – amounts to the same thing I guess…a wallet more often empty than not!) and I love it. It’s cheap plastic case belies the great circuitry underneath, and that makes it better for home recording than gigging, but it sounds great. Just don’t stomp the foot pedals too hard! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Chris

"People want to know why…I write such gross stuff. I like to tell them I have the heart of a small boy — and I keep it in a jar on my desk." <-Stephen King

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I can’t believe, this, you guys are actually talking about Rocktek pedals and Zoom multi-effects pedals…in a dinosaur jr. message board, that’s like going to some wine lovers chat room, and talk about miller high life.

please people. do not ever buy multi effects processors unless you are recording with them, never plug the output of a multi-effects processor into the input of an amp.

I mean really, what is this, the korn message boards…pretty soon we’ll start hearing about some dude’s 7-string ibanez and laney amp.

you can get big muff’s new for 50$ -get on of those instead of multi effect unit.

the whole reason why dinosaur jr. exists is because j mascis has good taste. you’ve got to have good taste…or else you’ll find yourself hanging out in mall guitar store, thinking about buying a boss digital dely pitchshifter, and dreaming about that boss me-30 with flange, chorus and auto-wah and delay and 19 types of distortion.

seriously, you’ve got to make good choices when it comes to the gear you make music with. I’m not saying spend thousands of dollars, I’m just saying that you are what you play!

wow.

//////////Tt.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

No, the whole reason Dinosaur Jr exists is because J can play the f**king guitar like nobody else and because of his creativity. The gear is nowhere near as important as that, if at all. You better know how to play, both technically and creatively, otherwise any gear at all is a waste of your money. I could take a hundred wanna-be’s with all the vintage gear in J’s basement and then give J a kid’s beginner guitar and practice amp and he would still be able to make great music, guaranteed. Also I’ll take beer over wine any day of the week.

Chris

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

yeah, yeah, yeah…play your heart out, if you got talent you’ll great on any guitar.
    good for you.
    and I know all about the vintage guitar market, and the story about the strat…whooppeee.

BUT

Why doesn’t anyone realize here, that the FACT is, J doesn’t play crappy equipment!! crappy equipment is just that. crappy.

and you know what. you SHOULD have a few day-glo BC Rich’s, I have this yellow jackson guitar that I love to play heavy metal riffs on, and Ibanez Roadstars are great guitars, everyone should have a few of those.

BUt still the fact is, when you listen to Dinosaur Jr. you are listening to nice amps, and nice guitars…things happen for a reason. and vintage Big Muffs cost 175$ because they sound very nice.

I know that guitar is all about talent, and innate hearing abilities before it is about vintage equipment. But then, once you’ve played your epiphone les paul for 4 years, and you’ve got some money, and you play a 60’s telecaster…you realize that you do sound better.
    Once you can play the guitar, and you love it, and you play 3 hours a day, and you have songs, and you can shred, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t have as many guitars as you want, nice ones and crappy ones.

I mean, the things are out there, try them. You are a player after all…it sounds like you fellas are ignoring this. Don’t ignore your heart. PLay your guitar, and buy a new one every month.

PS. has anyone in here ever broken a guitar?
    I mean on purpose, while they are
    playing it? Just wondering?

//////////Tt.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey Thomas….

Sorry to ruin your day my friend, the secrets out … J has been using BOSS DIGITAL DELAY, BOSS DELAY and an ibanez pedal (not a tube screamer though) recently.. i know cos a had a GOOD look at the london show he played recently, also i’ve seen a couple Ibanez pedals sitting in his rack…
    so there you go… i’m not defending all the ‘new plastic processor’ gear, but as some people have stated, if you aint rich you got no choice!
    Also EH pedals are so expensive cos they’re in fashion again.. in the eighties you could’nt give em away, j got all his dirt cheap….

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

i actually broke an acustic it was my friends, i was playing at some drunken party and a string broke and i just started smashing against the wall and shit

"I dont own a gun yet alone many guns which would necesitate an antire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?"
    Mike Myers as Wayne Cambell

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Oh, I get it now! You’re a rich guy or something, right? [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/lol.gif[/img] I’m not disputing that good is better than bad. It’s an elementary concept I’m sure we can all wrap our minds around.
    Thing is, none of us are J. Most of us probably don’t have J’s money, either. If we did, we wouldn’t be having a discussion about the cost of crap vs. the cost of vintage, period. J plays vintage, great. J can afford vintage, great. J’s talent and success merit spending a dime or two on gear, great. J sounds fucking awesome on anything, great. Blah blah blah. I sound ok on my crap, and someday I’ll sound even better on a mixture of crap and vintage, and some day after that I’ll be deader than a doornail. I don’t mean to argue with you at all. A discussion of J’s gear is very warranted here, which lends itself to a discussion of vintage obviously. But I think turning up your nose (beer vs wine, references to Korn) to of us that want to talk about our non-vintage gear, and how to sound good with what we have is wrong too. [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And damn right I’ll be investing in nice gear sometime. Although most Fenders are out, unless I can find one with a narrow Gibson-like neck (comments on this would be appreciated). I hate maple (more sustain but a brighter, colder tone) and I really dislike fat Fender necks. My father has an American Strat and a Telemex, and I don’t like the feel of either one, but that’s just me. That’s what god made Gibsons for! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Our first two-page topic….dig it.

Chris

[This message has been edited by hager (edited September 28, 2000).]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

you really do get what you pay for. and stuff that sounds great at low volume in your bedroom doesn’t usually "cut" through the rest of the band live. those giant multi effects units sound real ratty when you crank the amp up and they don’t produce the ummph you need be heard over top of drums/bass/etc. but if you record and play by/for yourself it probably doesn’t make much difference.

so Tthomas, what is your favorite set up?

Keith

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I don’t think that is necesarily true, depending on what other gear you have inline. A digital effects processor only manipulates a very small electrical output after all, well before any amplification occurs. I certainly wouldn’t recomend (jesus, I need a spell-checker) playing live without some other gear to reinforce it, but I do know folks who’ve gigged with very little more than a cheap digital effects processor and a loud amp.

Chris

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I’ve got an interesting story relating to all of this no-talent guys with lots of money for vintage gear stuff…

My dad plays bluegrass music, and he knows a guy who who met this hippie guy who bought some acoustic guitar and painted it black cause he thought it’d be cool (dumbass). Well when my dad’s friend saw this guitar, he immediatly recognized the black painted guitar as a pre-WW2 Martin D-28 Harringbone (this is the holy grail of acoustic guitars and they run for around $50,000 apiece.) he was outraged that this silly hippie not only didn’t know what he had, but essentually ruined it by painting it. Not to pass up an opportunity, my dad’s friend offered the hippie $200 for the guitar, which the hippie quickly jumped upon and was, fortunatly, able to have the guitar professionally restored with no lasting damage, and there you go… Talk about lucky.

When am I gonna find some guy who doesn’t know what he has… [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Mattman

"If you can’t pay money… At least pay attention!" – My Dad

[This message has been edited by Mattman (edited September 28, 2000).]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

ok, we can all settle down. everything is fine. my only point was that nice gear exists, and nice gear should be a goal for a guitar playing fella, but it should not overshadow, one’s abilities and take over the fun of making music. But still nice gear is better then not nice gear.

In regards to the reports about J. using boss delays and ibanez tube screamers. I believe, I think J. has become more professional, and conventional in his old age. However, about the Digital delay? Well digital is digital delay no matter how many seconds you’ve got. He does drench all of his guitar in analog delay, I know that. I’m not so hot on tube screamers, they are little too SRV. does anyone know anything about the new marshall JH-1 Jackhammer pedal, anyone have one? any review?

and Keith: My set ups change for the occasion and the people I’m playing with. When I’m by self lately, I have been playing my american standard strat and working on my straight blues licks, and I play straight through a MXR dyna comp into a new Ampeg superjet with tremolo. When I play with my rock outfit, I try to remain pure. I play my telecaster deluxe and my jaguar (with seymour duncan vintage coils at neck) through a mesa-boogie DC-5. For the rock I use a super fuzz pedal and a budda wah, and I have a clone theory, and memory man. When I play with my experimental-noise outfit. I play and break my junkshop guitars; teisco’s and 60’s japanese bombers I have found for under 100$ over the years…this is my favorite set-up because I rarely even use a strap, the guitar is merely a gestural controller for my FX Xtravaganza…this is where anything goes. flanges, digital delay, digitech whammy and space station, EH microsynth, boss EQ’s, Voodoo labs tremolo pedal, the peff-tronics rand-o-matic, other distortions by boss (I love my Xtortion and blues driver), tech 21 XXL thingy, turbo rat, the jimi hedrix octave fuzz unit, and 3 dunlop wah’s that keep on breaking. I play all these guys through an ampeg B2 bass amp and 4X10 cab, because I think bass amps have a cleaner and less colored sound, and let the pedals do the talking!

This is how I play. I love to play.

thanks everyone for making my work day more fun…on this lil’ discussion group!

//////////Tt.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Cool!! where in NYC do you play? i’ll have to take the trip in from ‘jersey to check out this noise outfit.

Keith

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

keith…I just graduated college, where i was in two bands, and moved to NYC in july. My ‘rock’ band has been seperated by graduation and people going seperate ways. But I do have a place to play in brooklyn. I have been doing the noise thing there with some friends. I don’t have any gigs in yet, as I usualy play for fun, in improved jam sessions. But I plan to do some more recording, and send some tapes out, once a steady NYC line up is in place.

//////////Tt.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.