Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey… I’m thinking of getting a new fender strat and pickups to go with it… I love J’s sound… what does he use and what would any of you suggest? I’m looking for a 60’s/70’s crazy full sound… lots of sustain. thanks

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

If you can find it, pick up the July 97 issue of Maximum Guitar magazine. I recently picked one up on eBay cheap. It has lots of info on J’s gear as well as many GREAT photos. He has so much stuff, it’d be kinda hard to list it all in a post. Maybe if I have more time later I’ll give it a whack anyway.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I’ll have that article up on the site soon [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
    Here is J’s setup according to GuitarGeek.com

jeremiah
    "Chops? I don’t have chops. Who do you think I am, Yngwie?" <- J Mascis

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Jeremiah, you are too good. This site is killer. Don’t spend a whole lot of money trying to sound like J! I am not a recoding star or even a paid musician, just an amateur inspired by the likes of J. My gear (guitar aside) cost less than $100 smackers, including digital recording software. Check out my site to see what I’m talking about: http://www.jamalong.com It ain’t SOTA, but it gets me off just the same. Excuse the sound quality if you check out my MP3’s, I wanted the downloads small.

Chris Hager http://www.jamalong.com

<font>[This message has been edited by hager (edited September 19, 2000).]</font>

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Most of your tone comes from your amp, not your guitar. So, if you can get a good amp, any decent guitar will sound good through it. You’ll get different sounds from different pickups, especially between single and double coil.

If you can find one, the Fender Deluxe Reverb is one of the best sounding amps ever made, and it’s all tube. The reissues are alright, but they’re difficult to repair if they mess up due to the printed circuitry (the old ones have good ole’ hard wiring.) I’d recommend an older one (pre 70’s) You won’t likely find one cheap though, but they aren’t terribly expensive either. Definitely worth the money though… It’s what I use! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

What model of strat are you thinking of buying (Standard(mexican made), American Standard, Deluxe, etc.)

I have a Standard (mexican) strat, it plays well, but the pickups aren’t that great (I intend to replace them) and I’ve already replaced the crappy tuners that came with it. The American Standards and above come with pretty decent pickups and the very good "schaller" tuners.

If you want to look into other choices, my main guitar is a ’94 American Standard Tele, which I absolutly love. It’s the best purchase I’ve ever made. You might want to try a Tele out. I know J likes them.

For actual consumer reviews on just about any musical equipment out there check out Harmony-Central

~Mattman

"If you can’t pay money… At least pay attention!" – My Dad

<font>[This message has been edited by Mattman (edited September 20, 2000).]</font>

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

i would agree with the Fender Reverb advice. start off with a good amp. i have a Pro Reverb, but the Deluxe is more desirable. the only bad thing with an old tube amp is, you guessed it, old tubes. i need to overhall this thing which will cost me some $$. the electronics need work too, the thing pops and clicks and the fuse is temperamental.

after that, you can upgrade your guitar. a fender strat is definitely gunna give you a "strat" sound (eric clapton) and a les paul is gunna give you a "gibson" sound (slash from Guns and Roses). j’s sound isn’t really either, cuz his guitars are pretty customized. telecasters are great, but they give you a pretty distinct sound that you may not want. i guess you should decide if you want new or used equipment. and if you want used, do you want vintage? if you can find a good deal on a nice vintage guitar, i would get it regardless of the type. as far as new guitars, shop around for the best deal and what you like the most. a new Fender Jazzmaster reissue is not going to sound much like J mascis until you change the pickups and run it through a bunch of effects with a marshall stack. but at least you have a sound you are looking for.

Keith

ps i’ve got a gibson 335 that doesn’t sound too great distorted since its a hollowbody, so stay away from hollowbodies!! (i was into playing jazz, which is where i made that mistake!!)

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Sometimes I can be such as A$$. [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/rocketwhore.gif[/img]

Chris Jamalong.com

[This message has been edited by hager (edited September 23, 2000).]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Actually I have a Mexican strat with the factory pickups on it… The whammy bar hole is stripped so I’d like to get a new one. What sort of pickups should I be looking for? As for the amp I have a marshall jcm 2000 amp running through a fender cab… What sort of delays do you prefer? I’ve got a dod analog delay which is alright cause it replicates tape delay… but I was wondering if anyone had a memory man… I’ve heard those are great little machines.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Keith, I’m assuming your Pro Reverb uses 6V6 type power tubes…

The new Electro-Harmonix 6V6GT tubes distributed by Sovtek work really well in Fender amps and they’re pretty cheap too. Less than $20 American (a lot less if you shop around.) It’s about time too, it’s been very hard in recent years to find decent 6V6’s. Fender amps drive them a bit harder than other amps, so they would die alot quicker.

Don’t bother with the Groove Tubes either, there expensive and are usaully just relabeled Sovteks. The older kind, I had one of these die on me after a couple of weeks.

I’m assuming that you know to rebias your power tubes when you change them. You could blow your power transformer if your not careful… And that’d be really expensive.

Sovteks preamp tubes have worked pretty well so far as well.

A fuse shouldn’t be hard to locate at all, just make sure you got the right kind. It won’t cost much at all (less than a buck.)

Here’s a link that has a lot of good tube amp info… http://www.geofex.com

Here’s a site that sells just about anything you’d need for an old amp… http://www.ampwares.com/ I haven’t bought anything from them yet, but they look legit.

As far as effects go, I hate just about everything made by DOD. I’m using a BOSS DD-3 digital delay that I’m pretty happy with. It is digital though, and thus sounds nothing like tape delay. Anything by BOSS is gonna cost, but you could just about run over a BOSS pedal with a tank and still take it to your gig. They don’t like to break.

As far as pickups for a Mexican Strat, I’m still in the middle of that discision my self.

~Mattman

"If you can’t pay money… At least pay attention!" – My Dad

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Great posts on J’s sound, etc. Just thought I’d add a couple of things that have struck me over the years regarding J’s sound (Guitargeek.com does cover all the bases, though, as someone already pointed out…)

As we all know, J loves to state his opinions (especially when it comes to gear/sound) very bluntly and emphatically, as if to stir up things and get a reaction from the interviewer. I remember reading a Guitar World interview in which J professed his hatred of two things in particular: Japanese effects pedals and humbucking pickups. That’s why you’ll notice he sports an army of Electro-Harmonix "tanks" (you won’t see an Ibanez Tube Screamer or any Boss product, for instance) and vintage pedals "re-gutted" by Roger Mayer. And although he does play Gibson Les Pauls on record, he plays the older ones with P-90 pickups (like the one on the inside cover of Green Mind), not the ones with humbuckers.

According to this interview, he also mentioned he never uses the Gibsons for lead work because he tends to play too fast on them and fears sounding too much like Dickey Betts (I believe that was who he mentioned…). So if you’re going for J’s lead tone, first of all, good luck…chances are you’ll never come close unless you’ve got about 25K to drop on equipment. But as we all know, he’s found of pre-1970 Jazzmasters (customized with Gibson bridges, among other things) and Teles, and of course, his bread n’ butter has always been the trusty Big Muff.

I happen to have a mid-90s American Strat Plus, which I like MUCH better than the Jazzmaster reissue I played before I just couldn’t deal with the crappy bridge. For what it’s worth, I’ve been happy with it. Good luck on your tone-quest.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

i doubt too many people have vintage stuff. vintage guitars have gotten really expensive and are snatched up by collectors and pro musicians. you can still get this stuff if you are willing to spend several thousand dollars, but who has the $$ for that?[img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

i used to keep my eye out [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/lookaround.gif[/img] for hot deals on amps/gadgets, but i never found that 1953 Les Paul at a garage sale for $100.

keith

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I disagree with kracked lung, you don’t need 25,000 to get J.’s tone. unless you are talking about recording gear as well, because al you really need is about 10-12 thousand dollars.

4 thousand: guitars
    1.5 thousand: effects
    5 thousand: amps
    .5 thousand: new pickups, misc.

but can we please stop hearing about people’s boss pedals, and epiphone’s and mexican strats. it’s like, yeah fella’s we know you got ’em! where my boys at with jazzmasters and memory man extravaganza!!!
    and please

//////////Tt.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

hey again…I’m sorry if I’m writing too much
    but I just want to say that there are plenty of good deals on great gear out there.

I just won a vintage electro-harmonix poly chorus pedal for 128$ on ebay yesterday.

also if you go to gbase.com (not an advertisement) you can find any guitar ever.

I have a lot of vintage stuff, but I have been a collector/player since 1994. I have a 1966 Jaguar, a ’78 telecaster deluxe, a 70’s coronado, a american standard strat, 2 60’s mustangs (severely beaten), a mosrite hollowbody, a hagstrom III, and various 100$ teisco’s…also I’m working on getting a 1980 Les Paul Pro with P-90’s because I want some gibsons…

if you want cool vintage guitars, you should look into old teisco’s because they are super cheap but sound very cool.

I don’t think it is impossible to get nice old guitars, and I think that 2,000$ for a custom colored jazzmaster is a fine price, 5 years ago they were about 1400-1800$

amps are where I don’t think its worth getting vintage. because new mesa boogies sound very good, and are quieter and more reliable then 60s marshalls. also the ampeg super jets are just as good as any vintage amps, I think all new fenders are crud, but budda amps sound better then blackface fenders.

I don’t think that if you want something, you shouldn’t have it, because you’ll just go on wanting it, and it will eat at you.
    I think if you have a dream you should go for it.

even if it means eating on 20$ a week.

//////////Tt.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I have been following this thread of conversation closely and you all are talking about gourmet food in front of a starving man here. I now have the biggest JONES going on. My gear sucks! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/lol.gif[/img] I have always been the type to "make do". I’ve got 2 Epiphones, some headphone amps, the single cheapest (but I love it) digital multi-effects processor on the planet, and a DOD dist pedal, and that’s about it! Despite the fact that I still major jollies when I play/record, I must now think about how I am going to acquire some real J-esque gear!

Thanks for nothing everyone! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Chris http://www.jamalong.com

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

i agree with Tthomas, you can get a nice vintage guitar for about $2000, but that probably out of most people’s price range. i didn’t mean to say that the stuff was unavailable, its that the amount of collectors and the general interest in vintage stuff has driven the prices up. i dunno, maybe its just inflation. but hey, if you are willing to drop $2000+, you should be pretty satisfied with what you get.

keith

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.