Home Forums General Discussions Introductions What a mess.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    AlyssPunkette
    Participant

But hey, messes can be beautiful, and this one is sure as hell lookin’ like it.

Hi there. Name’s Alyss, I’m a 23-yr-old super late to the game new fan who just saw Dino at FYF Fest here in Los Angeles last weekend, and needless to say they blew my mind. I had listened to them a bit before then, and became fascinated with the Bug and Beyond albums in particular, but seeing them live was damn near a spiritual experience. That guitar tone, dude. And six Marshall stacks of power. And they played the almost-sunset slot, and my buddies were passing a joint. And yeah.

What else about me…I’m a novice drummer, about to start my first band with two friends, and engaged to an awesome crazy tall dude (6’5″) who is a more experienced drummer. Both of us are gingers. No joke. We did not plan that one. When not rocking the fuck out at a punk/indie/hardcore show, I am working at a nonprofit (aspiring social worker yo) making stuff, or helping others make stuff, blogging about DIY culture, roller skating (quads, I played derby for some time), cooking, concocting chocolate decadence, or chilling with a whiskey n’ coke in front of Netflix. Current show obsessions – Boardwalk Empire and Newsroom.

Say hello! I promise I’m just odd enough to be interesting.

essgee09
    Participant

Welcome! What other bands do you like?

Obseqio
    Participant

Welcome! You’re never too late to the game, but arrive exactly when you’re supposed to. I’m a 35 years 22 year Dinosaur fan. I was about 13 when Dinosaur first rocked my world. I’ve had my ups and downs, but I’m here. Saw them first at Lollapalooza 1993.

It’s great to have you here, stick around and enjoy the show!

empire3

Hi, it’s fun here. Enjoy! I know the mod loves massive changes so please post suggestions 🙂

“Your never to late to dino”**

**me

tonas

Howdy! Welcome to the boards. 🙂

Annastefka
    Participant

It’s always great to have more girl energy around here! :D/

cwconville
    Participant

Hey my name is Chad 33, from Asheboro, NC. I am really interested in seeing DJ in either DC or Charlottesville. I am looking for some road company or maybe just to meet some folks to hang out with at one of the shows with a possible couch to crash on. Please shout at me if you are headed to either of these shows.

Hybridge
    Participant

Henry Rollins gives an enthusiastic review FYF fest (and I Bet on Sky) here:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/09/henry_rollins_the_column_livin.php

AlyssPunkette
    Participant

Wow, sorry that I’m so late returning to this guys! I was hit with the proverbial post-festival default world two-by-four and things got crazy for a bit.

@essgee09
    : Oh wow, that list would be many pages long. As a snippet, here’s a list of what’s on my current phone playlist: Black Flag, The Pixies, OFF!, Murder City Devils, The Bronx, Moving Units, Sonic Youth, Fucked Up, Velvet Underground, Sleater-Kinney, The Gits, Titus Andronicus, Ghost Mice, Ramshackle Glory, and the Vaselines.

@Obseqio
    : I’ll definitely be sticking around! Lucky you, discovering Dino so young. Would love to hear what your favorite album is and why. : )

@empire2: I’ll have to get my idea gears cranking…thanks for the greeting!

@Tonas
    : Thanks!

@Annastefka
    : Why hello, a comrade of the lady kind. Indeed, let’s shake things up round here : )

@cwconville
    : Can’t really help as I’m a West Coast gal but I hope you find buddies.

@Hybridge
    : Hehe, when a band makes Henry fuckin’ Rollins write like an overexcited teenager, you know you’ve found a rare breed of genius.

essgee09
    Participant

Good list of bands!

Javro
    Javro

I am accidentally drunk at work today. I realise that this is merely by the by, but hey ho. Wine and Beer Fridays every 2 weeks, best thing we ever introduced. White wine makes me slightly mad. I am going to see Cable in a few weeks, never thought they would reform, but have done for a Hell is for Heroes and Hundred Reasons Farewell tour. Downlift the Uptrodden!

Obseqio
    Participant

@Alysspunkette That’s a good question. I’m the kind of fan that finds no wrong with Dinosaur Jr’s music, but I will pair it down to Green Mind and Where You Been and just go with Green Mind. The reason is because it was the first album of Dinosaur I ever owned. I was turned on to them after hearing “Freakscene” on a skate video. I was 13 and living in Germany at the time. Green Mind was the only full album available then. It wasn’t until I was fifteen and moved back to the states that I was able to learn about and purchase older Dinosaur music. Green Mind holds a lot of good adolescent memories for me and I listened to it all the time. I remembered they played in Hamburg in 1991 and I wanted to go so bad, but I was too young to take the train. I believe The Year Punk Broke Video shows clips of that show. I’d love to see the whole concert. It must exist somewhere.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.