Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Underated Classic Rock Albums

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    essgee09
    Participant

Mott The Hoople-Brain Capers(1971)

It did`nt get much attention in it`s day and it still has`nt.I know Mott had some success soon after this but they`re still not as well known as they deserved.Two unusual cover songs(The Youngbloods and Dion?)find a way to fit in from the powerful The Journey to the Dylan-meets-proto punk of The Moon Upstairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQD27hoKaPI

essgee09
    Participant

Fairport Convention-What We Did On Our Holidays(1968) and Liege And Lief(1969)

‘The british Jefferson Airplane’ as they were called did`nt make that much of a splash outside of the UK.Their brand of folk rock drawing from the celtic folk tradition was different from what was going on in america with what was called folk rock.Richard Thompson`s guitar work was ace from day one and when Sandy Denny joined the band on vocals on this second album things really clicked.
    The story behind the Liege And Lief album is they were seriously injured months before they recorded it;their drummer,manager,and Thompson`s girlfriend all were killed.They could`ve easily broke up but instead made a strong record though Denny soon left and Thompson only stayed another record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGNiFR5Xdzo LGNiFR5Xdzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV44H7IyB10 EV44H7IyB10

tonas

Thin Lizzy ~ Jailbreak

I love this album, its solid from start to finish. The guitar playing is great.

tom
    Participant

Excellent choices guys. I’ve always thought Dino should cover Thin Lizzy’s Cowboy Song.

As far as an underrated classic, I’ll add Love’s Four Sail. Critics seem to bash everything Arthur Lee did after Forever Changes, but Four Sail is an excellent rock album. The drummer on that album (George Suranovich) is incredible.

essgee09
    Participant

Funny you should mention Thin Lizzy after me talking about Fairport Convention.Phil Lynott did a tribute album to Sandy Denny after her death in 1978.I don`t know if they knew each other but he was moved enough to pay tribute to her which shows the influence Fairport members had the UK music scene.I have`nt heard this tribute but I imagine it`s pretty good.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Tom" wrote:
    Excellent choices guys. I’ve always thought Dino should cover Thin Lizzy’s Cowboy Song.

As far as an underrated classic, I’ll add Love’s Four Sail. Critics seem to bash everything Arthur Lee did after Forever Changes, but Four Sail is an excellent rock album. The drummer on that album (George Suranovich) is incredible.

I agree.Four Sail is`nt as bad as the critics think.Da Capo gets a bad rap too because of Revelation which is`nt that awful though side 1 is certainly stronger.

tom
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    Funny you should mention Thin Lizzy after me talking about Fairport Convention.Phil Lynott did a tribute album to Sandy Denny after her death in 1978.I don`t know if they knew each other but he was moved enough to pay tribute to her which shows the influence Fairport members had the UK music scene.I have`nt heard this tribute but I imagine it`s pretty good.

SG

Tribute to Sandy is an awesome song. I can email you the song if youd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJfLlNKUA4 MVJfLlNKUA4

Robert
    Participant

First of all I need some help as I’m quite fuzzy on the definition of ‘Classic Rock.’
    -It would be embarassing to hail an album as an underrated masterpiece of classic rock if it turned out it was actually a country album(No Other by Gene Clark.)

That being said, I have a Grand Funk Railroad album that absolutely kicks ass, though I can’t remember its name right now. Though I have no idea if Grand Funk Railroad would constitute as Classic Rock, nor if they could be seen as underrated. Homer likes them, so I guess they can’t be that underrated.

I’ve never picked up on Four Sails being sold short, it most certainly is a great album.
    Anyone seen the documentary ‘Love Story’ ? I liked it a lot.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Tom" wrote:
    SG

Tribute to Sandy is an awesome song. I can email you the song if youd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJfLlNKUA4 MVJfLlNKUA4

Thanks.That was beautiful.

essgee09
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:
    First of all I need some help as I’m quite fuzzy on the definition of ‘Classic Rock.’
    -It would be embarassing to hail an album as an underrated masterpiece of classic rock if it turned out it was actually a country album(No Other by Gene Clark.)

That being said, I have a Grand Funk Railroad album that absolutely kicks ass, though I can’t remember its name right now. Though I have no idea if Grand Funk Railroad would constitute as Classic Rock, nor if they could be seen as underrated. Homer likes them, so I guess they can’t be that underrated.

I’ve never picked up on Four Sails being sold short, it most certainly is a great album.

For me classic rock is from 1955-79.It can include folk,r and b,soul,and whatever too.I don`t think Clark`s No Other as a country album than it is folk rock and yeah it can be included

Grand Funk Railroad is classic rock for sure

I have a music guide that gave Four Sail 2 out of 5 stars.Another guide I own did`nt list it at all.

Robert
    Participant

Then I’d like to include Dennis Wilsons Pacific Ocean Blue. I have no idea if this is underrated, but I for one hadn’t even heard of it before last year. And when I did finally hear it completely blew me away.

I would also like to mention Jim Ford, whom I know nothing of, besides what is told me on the liner notes of the Big Mouth USA/The Unissued Paramount Album.

essgee09
    Participant

The Move-Shazam(1970)

Most will know The Move from cover songs from Cheap Trick.Led by Roy Wood,they seemed to be one of the more forgotten bands of the late `60s/early `70s.Jeff Lynne joined around the time of this album,and soon they morphed into ELO without Wood.This album is cool,a mix of trippy psych and loud guitar work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXzx4eqv9rI NXzx4eqv9rI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi94–us7-U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi94–us … re=related

essgee09
    Participant

John Fahey-Days Have Gone By(1966)

Fahey was`nt a rock musician,or did he sing or play electric guitar.The man was uncaterizable really.He mixed folk,blues,bluegrass,jazz,classical in his acoustic guitar playing.As he put it ‘trying to think of Charley Patton,Bela Bartok,and Stan Kenton all at the same time’.One of the greatest guitarists of the 20th century?Yes but his style was primitive yet progressive if that makes sense.
    This album is one of the best guitar records that never gets talked out.In the last years of Fahey`s life,admirers like Thurston Moore went out on tour with him and he recorded for indie labels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93v6eoTjpig 93v6eoTjpig

tom
    Participant
    "essgee09" wrote:
    "Tom" wrote:

I agree.Four Sail is`nt as bad as the critics think.Da Capo gets a bad rap too because of Revelation which is`nt that awful though side 1 is certainly stronger.

I like Da Capo a lot as well. From what the guys in the band have said, Revelation was an icredible track for the band live, but the magic wasn’t captured on the record.

tom
    Participant
    "Robert" wrote:

GRand Funk. Nice choice. Homer J Simpsons favorite band of all time. I actually lived in Flint for about a year when my dad was going to college there.

Love Story is an excellent documentary. That and the Shane MacGowan doc are probably my two favorite music docs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.