Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Uncle Tupelo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

can people give me some info on this band as i am interested to know what they are like because from what i’ve heard i’ll probably like them. Can anyone recommend their best work?

Thanx.

‘By the shore-line,
    will you be fine?’

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey sappy. I have several of their albums including Anodyne and No Depression. Either one will addict you quickly to this great band! Perhaps Anodyne would be a better first taste!

Chris [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/earl.gif[/img]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I’d start with No Depression

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Either-or.

[email protected] [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/earl.gif[/img]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

YEA!!! New Uncle Tupelo fans….I love it. I, personally, would suggest Anodyne as the best place to start b/c it’s my favorite album of all time (with Green Mind coming in a VERY close second). It’s got a FANTASTIC country-type feel to it…great lyrics, heartfelt music. Just classic.

"No Depression" is also a definate must have. "Still Feel Gone" and "March 16-20 1992" are also excellent. Bottom line is you really can’t go wrong with an UT album. Lots of folks dug ’em b/c they had kind of a punk/country influence going on….and listening now to Wilco and Son Volt, you can definately tell which UT ingredients were from Jay (Son Volt) and which are from Jeff (Wilco). Both of those bands are also excellent live. I’ve pretty much got most of what these two have done…and i’ve never regretted picking up a CD.

Welcome to the club.

Mmmmmmm….floor pie.

–HomerJ.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

One thing though….I was in an online chat with Son Volt at one time (which is kinda funny ’cause Jay likes conversing about as much as J.), and he mentioned one of their favorite places to play was Cain’s Ballroom here in Tulsa Ok. Bob Wills used to do live radio shows from the place…it’s very cool…hardwoods, a cool disco ball in the middle. One thing…that bastard hasn’t been here since mentioning that FOUR years ago!!! [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

And if you ever run across it, pick up "Switchback," which is a 4 song promotional CD for "Straightaways," their second album. The song "Tulsa County" rules. Ya know…’cause…well, nevermind.

Mmmmmmm….floor pie.

–HomerJ.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Check out Son Volt’s "Trace"….it’s a terrific record that was also one of J’s faves when it came out (i.e., don’t just take my word for it….)

"Don’t eat the brown acid…."

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

That’s good advice, and Son Volt really rocks, BUT… start at the beginning with the Uncle. I have reconsidered my earlier statement of "either/or" and decided that although I personally listen to Anodyne more often, No Depression was the album, after all, that started the whole damn genre some call "No Depression" and others call "Alt-Country" or "Y’all-ternative." So, start at the very beginning!!

[email protected] [img]http://www.freakscene.net/ubb/smilies/earl.gif[/img]

The Dude
    Participant

and, any wilco album kicks any s.v. or u.t. album’s ass.

<FONT>[ October 07, 2001 12:14 AM: 1 The Dude ]</font>

SG
    Participant

Thought I`d pull this up for Kurticus7 since he bought a Son Volt album yesterday.
    Jay Farrar and Mike Heidorn of Son Volt used to be in UT,deffinitely check out some UT.

Jebus
    Participant

Which album did you pick up??

As you can tell, UT fans are kinda like a family of kids….bicker and bitch at each other all the time…

I’d just be a man, drop the cash and purchase EVERYTHING from UT, SV and Wilco.

Also, don’t forget to capture SV’s "Tulsa County" off Audiogalaxy or something. I don’t think the promotional is available anymore…..

I hear SV recently broke up….anybody know if that’s true??

SG
    Participant

Kurticus7 bought Trace yesterday,I hope he digs it.
    I think Son Volt is no more,I don`t know if that`s confirmed positive it look like it is true with Farrar`s solo album,hope to get thet soon after I get Ear Bleeding Country.
    Audiogalaxy has alot of cool live cover songs too,UT covering Black Flag,Stooges,Neil Young,Bob Dylan,etc.

SG
    Participant

Farrar`s solo album is`nt around here yet,I `ll problably check it out if it gets here.I heard that one of the Flaming Lips helped out,the drummer from Superchunk plays on it too,and Gillian Welch sings some Harmonies.
    Trace is a great album,lot of great songs on it,Tear Stained Eye mentioned St Genevieve,which is a town in Missouri on the Mississippi river,makes sense when he says "hold back the water".
    On Anodyne,the song-New Madrid,that`s a town in Missouri that sunk in the Mississippi river after an earthquake in 1850,I saw a film about it in high school,thought it was cool that song refered to that.

Jebus
    Participant

Sonofabitch. Wanna guess which CD I got??

I like the album too, but it’s definately not a CD for mass consumption. If you liked SV’s Straightaways, you’ll definately like his solo.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

I have got ‘Sebastopol’ for some time now. I think it is a good album, it starts with a couple of great songs, the absolute highlight is ‘Barstow’, his duet with Gillian Welch (one of the greatest songs of this year), the middle part of the album is a little bit boring (and after about eight or nine songs I am tired of Jay’s manner of singing and his voice…). The last part of the album has some great songs again!

A word of warning: it seems that there are two versions of the album: one has 14 tracks, the other one has 17, be sure to get the 17 track version!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.