Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

inkling
    Participant

Hey salamiguy-
    I must say I agree with you on NIN, also being overrated. And lets not forget – HOLE. The worst of all!
    I found it interesting that you mention Big Black and The Swans. Fucking BIG BLACK! Groundbreaking perfection!

I kind of regret bringing up this topic because we could all go on and on about stuff we think is lame. But there is just SO MUCH of it!! Gotta vent somehow and why not on these silly boards?

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by inkling:
    <STRONG>Hey salamiguy-
    I must say I agree with you on NIN, also being overrated. And lets not forget – HOLE. The worst of all!
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, now, Hole didn’t sell out.. they had nothing to begin with.

Don’t apoligize for starting a topic – especially if it creates a little debate. We all know what we have in common, it’s why we’re here – J. Mascis. It’s the differences that are truly interesting.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salamiguy:
    <STRONG>You are`nt versed in jazz if you think Wynton Marsalis is trumpet king.
    Spryo Gyro? I have one of their records,it`s down in the basement getting moldy like it deserves.
    Sorry Jaron to diss stuff,you sound like you need some education in jazz;I`ll help you out if you want,I suggested 2 albums to Allison the other day;I`m pressed for time now but tommorow I`ll mention some stuff to check out.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said, not that well versed in jazz, but not against learning more about it. Teach me (when you get a chance) sensei! [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cloud9
    Participant

Hey Inkling
    I Think Dinosaur Jr is a Overated Band [img]images/smiles/converted/spit_take.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/lol.gif[/img]

But Seriously, U2 is Highly Overated, Always the Same Monotone Music & Voice, They Make the Same Sound now 20 Years, They never try something new, So for me that is the most overated band there Is

C Ya

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

I´m with you, the Smashing Pumkins are highly overrated. As well as Radiohead, Muse, Korn, Pearl Jam, Metallica. To name just a view. Actually I think Built to spill are overrated and I don´t undestand the Modest Mouse comparison cause I don´t like BtS that much.
    gruss
    d

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Inkling,

This poor soul (?) isn’t offended at all, will always love MM despite what anyone says. As someone here once said they are my ears so really not open to debate…and vice versa….except of course for a couple of key exceptions [img]images/smiles/converted/newangel.gif[/img]

Voodoo Guy also hates the vocals, says the music is alright but the vocals just about kill him everytime. He is of Icelandic heritage so he is really fair, its pretty funny, his face turns all red along with the wicked facial contortions…yikes [img]images/smiles/converted/lol.gif[/img]

Agree with Dimpfelmoser and Salamiguy about the lyrics and songs…Break Through is my current fav. Truckers Atlas…I wrote messages in stalls on my last road trip as a tribute [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm12.gif[/img]

As for sorting thru the crap, sometimes you have to be careful stuff can get sorted much too quickly. I have been more than guilty of that tons of times, luckily I recheck every now and then.

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

For anyone who wants to know more about jazz:
    I`m not going to ramble on,talking about the past 100 years of jazz;check out some books at the library for that,but I am going to mention some of my fav albums from the 1950`s and 60`s,my fav era of jazz.

Miles Davis-Kind Of Blue
    totally essential,best jazz record ever.

John Coltrane-Giant Steps
    the album that put Coltrane in the forefront of sax players.

Charles Mingus-Mingus Ah Um
    An amazing album,one of his best.

Bill Evans-At The Village Vanguard
    also available as 2 cd`s:Sunday at the village vanguard and Waltz for Debbie.
    1961 live date that is legendary.bassist Lafaro died 10 days after in a car accident.

Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie-Bird and Diz
    a 1950 session that I find as good as any of their other stuff,the band is killer too;Thelonious Monk on piano,Buddy Rich on drums.

Thelonious Monk-Monk`s Dream
    His major label debut from 1962,a classic.

Eric Dolphy-At the Five Spot Vol 1
    Dolphy was a amazing sax/bass clairinet/flute player,this live session with underated trumpeter Booker Little is great.

Cannonball Adderley-In San Fransisco
    Cool live recording from 1959.very popular in it`s day.

Chet Baker-Chet
    1958-59 sessions of ballads,slow and mellow stuff,Chet sounds great on this.

Wayne Shorter-Juju
    a classic,Shorter showing that he was coming into his own as a musician and composer.

Surrealist Girl
    Participant

hey you’ve got good taste in music salamiguy….im actually listening to Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane right now. tring to relax.
    I find Thelonious Monks life story so interesting.
    do you like any Pat Metheny?
    and have you ever heard of Morphine? (no, the band)

also i would like to commit on the radiohead discussion. I absolutly hated radiohead when they first came out but i really was taken back by Kid A. It is an outstanding album. i cant say enough good things about it. If this is the direction they are going then i am a fan…..hack hack…i can admit it… [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] im not ashamed

SG
    Participant

Monk`s life was interesting;he was very eccentric,there`s stories of him walking off the stage and dissappering for days.Quite a genius.
    I don`t like too much in jazz from the past 25 years,except for some artists,Metheny is one,great artist.His 94 album Zero Tolorence For Silence had a quote on a sticker on the front by Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth.
    I never listened too much to Morphine,heard some of their tunes on the radio,their sax player was cool.Sad to hear Mark Sandman died,loved how he played slide on bass.
    Speaking of Coltrane with Monk,I assume your listening too that album from 1957;there`s a live recording Bluenote released years ago of them in 57,the sound is`nt too good but it`s worth hearing those guys who did`nt record too much together.
    There`s a Monk live recording I heard once,it was recorded under the stage in the basement! They put microphones on the basement ceiling and taped it,Monk never knew it was being recorded.
    If anyone wants to ask me jazz questions,just post it here.

Cloud9
    Participant

Hey Salami Guy [img]http://www.smilies.nl/nopity.gif[/img]

John Coltrane is Great, I have a Home Made Best Of Him, Great Songs,
    I only forgot to wrote down the Songtitles,
    But I can Live With That

Do U Know Kiss My Jazz
    Thats my favorite Jazzband, they make alternative Jazz,
    They Split last Year, thats A Real Bummer
    U can check them at the Following Link: http://www.heavenhotel.be/
    Then click on the "About Heavenhotel" link
    & Then Listen, Some Great Tracks
    Let me know what U think of Them

C Ya [img]http://www.smilies.nl/dieren/elefant.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Hey Spaceboy:

I listened to the first song Livonia`s love theme;sounds good!I had to download a free realplayer because I don`t have it;it worked on that song but when I tried the second song it started flashing the screen and blacked out.I then clicked on a another free realplayer download but it started flashing again,luckily I stopped it before it blacked out my screen.
    Anyway I got to hear 1 song,thanks for mentioning it.
    Coltrane has a lot of good music,I`ve heard about 20 of his albums.

inkling
    Participant

salamiguy –
    You mentioned Cecil Taylor’s "Conquistador." I was wondering if you had a hard time tracking this one down. I’ve been looking for a while now, but can’t seem to find it. Do you know if it’s out of print? (On cd)

Also, ever heard "Big Fun" by Miles Davis?

SG
    Participant

Inkling-
    I bought Conquitstador 10 years ago.I have`nt seen it around much,I`ve seen Unit Structures around used before,that album is ok.
    I`ve heard"Lonely Fire" from Big Fun before,Miles electric era is great,Big Fun is`nt as well received by critics as other stuff;Argharta is one of my favs from that era.

SG
    Participant

I think Conquitstador is out of print,1990 was the last re release date.

SG
    Participant

Here`s some more good jazz albums:

Ornette Coleman-The Shape of jazz to come
    A classic,Ornette changed the sound of jazz forever.

Albert Ayler-In Greenwich Village
    not the easiest music to get into but try anyway.

Cecil Taylor-Conquitstador
    two long pieces,Cecil at his best.The piano would never be the same.

John Coltrane-Om
    1965 session that ranks as one of the most insane records ever made,Coltrane at his most noisy.

Charles Mingus-Right Now:at the jazz workshop
    1964 live recording,one wild trip!jazz at it`s most powerful;the music is like a rollarcoaster ride,it speeds up,slows down,you don`t know where he will take you next.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.