Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Two midwestern Sweet Apple dates 7/9 & 7/10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    King Tubby
    Participant

The 9th at the Grog Shop in Cleveland

The 10th at the Abbey in Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/sweetapplesongs

King Tubby
    Participant

What a fun show! Those guys sounded really good, especially considering they’re not a full-time, practicing band. It was odd seeing J play through a half-stack (a small amp head and a cabinet with what looked like one big speaker in it), but things got loud by the end. He soloed his ass off all night, as you’d expect. There are some rumblings about a full tour later in the year, so definitely see them if you get the chance.

I hadn’t yet picked up the album, but based on the show I’m going to get it this week. That’s how things are supposed to work!

mind_glow
    Participant

So he didn’t play drums at all?

King Tubby
    Participant
    "mind_glow" wrote:
    So he didn’t play drums at all?

Nope. The band’s got a really strong drummer (maybe a Cobra Verde member?) and two guitarists, in addition to Sweetapple on bass. Petkovic just sings. It was a great show.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I really hope they do some touring… The album rocks

[youtube]yIA1LIzWLb8[/youtube]

King Tubby
    Participant

I finally bought the album, and yes indeed it DOES rock! It even FUCKING rocks! I was expecting something half-assed, or at most three-quarters-assed. But it’s a whole-assed record. Great songs, great playing, great production, and it’s a lot of fun to boot. Good for them.

It’d sure be nice to see them again now that I know all their songs.

Annastefka
    Participant

Wow…if Tubby says so, it’s probably so..he even used the F word…he’s so serious!!!! WOW..I’m really surprised to hear you have such a glowing review Tub…I’ve only heard that video below…naw, come to think of it, there was something else a few months ago, I heard, I think. (??) ….INTERESTING. I’ll have to start paying more attention.

*3/4, half-assed…OMG Tubby…(I added the half)that’s going to me my new slogan for the way some people around me operate.

you can use it in a sentence like this…."Hey, don’t take the time to do it correctly just do it 3/4 half assed, like usual, that should work."

had to edit…I forgot…I’ve been vibing on trying to be more uplifting…..so I wouldn’t say it like that…that’s sort of snotty and mean…ummm, I’m going to rephrase it to "3/4 half assed is a pretty good effort but if you give it your all you can make it whole-assed divine. "
    I feel better…God caught me and reminded me of what I"ve been asking God to catch and remind me about! (LOL/but true) It’s an hourly process sometimes pulling myself back to God.
    Thanks, King Tubby.

Hybridge
    Participant

Some more Sweet Apple dates recently announced:

09.03.10 Flywheel Easthampton, MA (!!)

09.05.10 Middle East Cambridge, MA

09.06.10 Knitting Factory NYC Brooklyn, NY

10.21.10 9:30 Club Washington, DC,
    Info: w/ Guided By Voices

10.23.10 Cat’s Cradle Carrboro, NC

10.23.10 The Buckhead Theatre Atlanta, GA

essgee09
    Participant
    "Hybridge" wrote:
    10.21.10 9:30 Club Washington, DC,
    Info: w/ Guided By Voices

That`s going to be the classic line up of GBV with Tobin Sprout and the `93-96 regulars.They`re doing a breif reunion

Annastefka
    Participant

The date for the show in Carrboro, NC is

bummer that this is an Atlanta kind of tour thing and not Athens but "hands in the air" for getting a Saturday night show!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.