Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Tour dates announced for Cobra Verde featuring J

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

squeapler
    Participant

The good folks at Muscletone Records have released CV’s tour dates with J Mascis, starting
    in May! Complete list with links to the club sites is at

http://www.muscletonerecords.com/artists.html :)

I presume these will also be listed at http://www.cobraverde.com in the
    near future as well, tho as of this writing they aren’t yet.

PLEASE NOTE that the April 25th Cleveland show will obviously NOT feature J as he’s booked in another city that night, but most of the East Coast shows for May are now being announced as "Cobra Verde featuring J Mascis" gigs on the club websites. As of this posting, a few of the sites don’t have their May calendar up yet, so you may want to call the clubs to confirm those dates.

FlyingCloud
    Participant

great news, squeapler :D :!:

thanks a lot for keeping us informed! :)

ammaringnyc
    Participant

Great I get to see j twice this weekend and then in May. That will be like the ninth time this year.

expect nothing
    Participant

ammaringnyc – that sounds like a greeeaat year so far :D . Should be a good tour :aliensmile: .
    Was it only a couple of songs he did on their new album or was he more involved than that?

squeapler
    Participant

expect nothing – i believe i read that j added guitar parts to two songs on the record, although most of the guitar on the record was done by derek deprator (no longer with the band, j is more or less replacing him live), frank vazzano and don depew, plus a little by john petkovic. there’s no song-by-song breakdown on the cd and it was recorded over two years so it’s hard to pinpoint *exactly* who played what, but i think most of j’s involvement came in the form of adding guest solos near the end of the process.

the two songs that j does solos on, according to my knowledge, are "riot industry" (this one is obvious, the solo at the end is trademark J!) and "throw it away".

however, at the live show j played on about ten songs, pretty much cobra verde’s usual set that they did last year on the j, watt and breeders tours, and including some stooges songs that cobra verde and j were jamming on the road last year. most of the new cobra verde songs were written and arranged for two guitarists so j is basically stepping in to fill that role :wink: :!:

expect nothing
    Participant

thanks for clearing that up squeapler :D . You’ve filled a lot of little gaps in my head :shock: :mrgreen:

monkeysnail
    Participant

so, J is playing in their band? at first i thought (and was hoping) that he and the fog were touring with them or something.. ive never heard that band though… are they any good?

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey monkeysnail,
    here are some descriptions of Cobra Verde’s new record, Easy Listening:

out of the Blender review:

Quote:
    Passionate post-glam indie-rock expressly for punks who like a little glitter in the gutter.
    With absolutely no shame and just the right amount of irony, Cobra Verde embrace classic-rock posturing with all of its messy emotional overreach, wanky-yet-tasteful guitar solos and bombastic songcraft

Wayne Kramer, the owner of their label 8) says about them:

Quote:
    "They’re a fantastic rock band who will be understood by a such a diverse group of rock fans. If you like the Hives or the Queens of the Stone Age, then you’re gonna get it. If you love Bowie or Roxy Music, you’re gonna get it. If you love smart lyrics on a great beat, you’re gonna get it."

Or just take a listen here :P
    … J contributed some guitar soloing on "Riot Industry" :D

squeapler
    Participant

hey there monkeysnail, i like cobra verde (obviously) but i think flying cloud has the right advice, check out a couple of their mp3’s and then decide. i think cobra verde will be great with j because he is a great guitarist and will push the others to their musical limits so they don’t get shown up 8)

Halfman
    Participant

http://www.emptybottle.com shows a Cobra Verde show on May 9. This was not on the Muscletone list. Is J going to be at this one? Thanks.

Tom

AGAP
    Participant

Wish I could say yes but J will be doing his sonic acoustic show in Melbourne on the 9th.

:aliensmile:

Halfman
    Participant

okedoke, thanks again

FogLight
    Participant

Dudes, the new Cobra Verde album kicks so much ass I can’t even put it into words. I got it in the mail from their website the other day and haven’t stopped listening to it yet. All joking aside, they’re the best band in the world right now except for J.

-FogLight

P.S.
    Did I mention it rocks?

Anthony
    Participant

you are right !
    this album kicks ass

kicks MAJOR ASS
    it rules
    i got whip-lash from modified frankeinstein.

but the weird thing is it seems ive heard these tunes before. (are they covers?)

monkeysnail
    Participant

thanks for the advice on the band. :) ill check em out. sounds good to me!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.