Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

Well………….How was it?

tonas

Sweetapple was cool. When I got there it had just started snowing, no accumulation yet. On my way home at midnight there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. So that was fun.

The show was rad they played the entire album in their set. John and Tim were really nice guys I hung out with and talked to them the most. John even bought me a beer. I talked to Dave a little, he was telling me Witch is getting ready to record again. So we have that to look forward to. I asked J if anything was happening with Dinosaur and he said nothing was going on, so I get the feeling it may be a while before we hear anyhting new from them.

It was cool seeing J drum. I was laughing because he wears glofing gloves when he plays, and makes funny faces. But it was rad nonetheless. I still like it when he plays guitar better. Either way I am still a fan.

All in all it was a fun night. I took a vacation day on Wednesday, so I didn’t have to work which was nice.

Annastefka
    Participant

Thanks…Well..Dinosaur Jr. reunion…what a run…must be nice for all of them to have some time to think about something different for a while…I’m sure, just like Summer, they’ll be back.. Drummers and the "special education face" my favorite.

I know I mention it here a lot but George Berz…eyes looking straight up, tongue hanging out one side of his mouth..moving into large amounts of time spent, in what looks like the last seconds of childbirth..then eyes closed, head bent all the way forward…mouth wide open…Old Skool Fog baby…it was like George was freaking climbing K2 …..two oxygen bottles short …every damn time I saw him play…but it was AWESOME. Always spent more time watching George when they played together….always wondering WOW..WTF is that? (in a good way)

You drove home in 4 inches of snow?..I don’t know how that works..no one drives here when it snows because we don’t have snow plows or salt things (None of us 7, have left home since Sunday..my road just opened up today but is still pretty dangerous to be on)

Thanks Tonas for taking the time.

I mean no offense above, I’ve had a child in "special ed" for several years, we have a special place in our hearts for "special ed"…and really….most of us, until we find our way back to God, overflowing with imperfections,take our seat on the "short bus" daily. I know I do…I’m taking a whole seat, with my feet all up in it. Life = Good!

tonas

No prob Stefka. Anytime for you… :D

Hybridge
    Participant

I work in Special Ed. with severely handicapped kids and I’m not offended. Hope it’s alright if I comment/free associate here on Sweet Apple’s show in San Francisco Friday night.

The show was great, the room packed; no snow, just lots of CHP’s on the drive home.

We got there a few minutes after Carlton Melton started. They played a 30 minute jam that sounded and felt awesome, like sitting in a jacuzzi, only instead of water jets it was an Orange amp sound wave massage. Some great playing overall, cascading doom dirge, endless sustain, and some wailing guitar from J Mascis, who sat in at some point, continuous melting fever music, not much stage banter but lots of fist raising and drumstick twirling by Rich Millman, many killer grooves and immense sound.

As for Sweet Apple, I thought they were a lot of fun and John Petkovic is a brilliant singer and front man. They played some rockin, rowdy tunes, pretty loose at times but great overall. The songs were way more structured than Carlton Melton’s but there was still some good jams. They opened with Flying up a Mountain and Do You Remember, after which I don’t remember. John P.’s stage manner consisted of pacing and jumping around while goading the crowd with witty, antagonistic comments peppered with appreciation of local culture/places. Highlights included his rap on love as related to death metal, desperation, "Dirty Fuckin Harry" (points to John for discussing film w/the crowd), appreciative nods to Li Po Lounge, Flipper, and meeting a member of The Flaming Groovies that day, which brought the topic back to how SF hipsters don’t appreciate local culture (probably true, as most SF residents are from somewhere else). He cracked us up with his ‘fuck yalls’ and overt and oblique crowd insults. I really needed some rocknroll catharsis after a long challenging day of work and Sweet Apple and Carlton Melton delivered.

Dead Meadow closed the show, and for me anyway, were just okay. All the momentum and energy built up by the musical juggernaut of Carlton Melton and Sweet Apple slowly dissipated like the mist from their fog machine during Dead Meadow’s set. They weren’t too musically interesting to me, though it seemed the crowd was way into it. Overall, two horns up, go hear Carlton Melton and Sweet Apple, preferably in a redwood forest, if you get the chance.

Annastefka
    Participant

Nice piece Hybridge. :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.