Home Forums General Discussions Bootleg Trading Tommy Dorsey

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hurrifanatic01
    Participant

Who else thinks Tommy Dorsey is one of the greatest and most underappreciated artists of all time?

what are some of your favorite songs of his and his orchestra?

essgee09
    Participant

I think Artie Shaw was better :) Dorsey was good though,he hired Jo Stafford which was a good move,had Sinatra,had Buddy Rich… his Jimmy was a good saxophonist/clarinetist though they did`nt speak for like 20 years(they got into a fight over the tempo of a song!)
    Favorite songs?I like the ones with Jo singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu2qJNJ-Qc4 Lu2qJNJ-Qc4

hurrifanatic01
    Participant

i just got "embraceable you" on a mix CD. shes definatley got one of the greatest voices in music

essgee09
    Participant
    "hurrifanatic01" wrote:
    i just got "embraceable you" on a mix CD. shes definatley got one of the greatest voices in music

I got the Proper box set(4 cd`s)called Yes Indeed! last year.Not all tracks are great(some silly country songs and overly syrpy string section songs drag it down)but her big band sides are excellent.

I mentioned Sinatra and Buddy Rich before.One of the best stories of their time in the Dorsey band was when Sinatra threw a picture of water at Rich.Rich grabbed his ride cymbal and pinned Old Blue Eyes to the wall!

Another weird thing is that Charlie Parker choked to death while watching the Dorsey Bros tv show in 1955,Tommy died a year later from choking in his sleep!Strange eh?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.