Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

AGAP
    Participant

Another band that J has contributed to, apparently played drums for them at some point. They also recorded @ Bob’s place 8)

The Wounded Knees

the mission

Jimi Shields (Guild d35 Guitar/Vocals) and Suzanne Thorpe (Revolution Flute) began making music together recently in New York City. Shields was a founding member of the much acclaimed Rollerskate Skinny, while Thorpe was a founding member of the critically revered Mercury Rev, contributing to all aspects of that group’s output to date.

Freshly inspired from a brief spell working with Mark Lanegan, Shields had a seemingly chance meeting with Thorpe and the two decided to begin the process of working together. Jimi had spent time honing his recording and song writing skills while Suzanne, had returned to her classical roots to pursue a second B.A. in Music Performance staging numerous solo classical performances while also recording with artists such as Grand Mal and Hopewell.

Convinced that they had fallen upon a unique sound, the duo made their debut performance at a packed club in New York City.

Their cinematic, yet minimal, sound has evolved, over the course of a few select shows, including CMJ 2002, an Irish tour with J Mascis and most recently a short English tour, which marked the band’s London debut at the Rough Trade run Rota club. While continually experimenting onstage with the addition of other musicians including Phil Williams (Drums, Percussion), J Mascis (Drums) and Jay Russo (Fender Jazzmaster), the core of the group’s sound lies between the driving rhythms of the acoustic guitar and the soaring melodies of the flute. The band admits to a huge range of influences, from the broken hearted sound of the Delta Blues to the bell-like tones of Marconi, to make an organic, passionate sound steeped in the spirit of rock ‘n’ roll.

Work has begun on a recording, with one session completed in the US at Bob’s Place; engineered by Steve Revitte (Liars, The Rapture) and a further session engineered by Brian Mills (ex-Divine Comedy) at the MBV studios in London. Guy Fixsen of the band, Laika, mixed the tracks.

The band will be performing a string of east coast dates in August 2003…

"I’ve heard the new stuff they’re working on,
    it’s great." … J Mascis, Hot Press, 4 Dec 2002.

rambleon
    Participant

hey allison, that’s a great find :mrgreen: … + further to that here’s a tiny review of one of their shows from last year :aliensmile: (within the larger context of a j solo review + an additional review of j’s 2000 underworld show as well) 8) 8)

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "Voodoo Girl" wrote:
    Work has begun on a recording, with one session completed in the US at Bob’s Place; engineered by Steve Revitte (Liars, The Rapture) and a further session engineered by Brian Mills (ex-Divine Comedy) at the MBV studios in London. Guy Fixsen of the band, Laika, mixed the tracks.

The band will be performing a string of east coast dates in August 2003…

"I’ve heard the new stuff they’re working on,
    it’s great." … J Mascis, Hot Press, 4 Dec 2002.

….catching up with some posts/threads I only had scanned quickly before, I came across this one….

Does this mean that Bob’s Place is up and running again after the fire? Would be cool…. 8)

FlyingCloud
    Participant

hey dB, I also thought so myself at first, but the fire in Bob’s Place was in February 2003, and the above article is from Dec 2002.

would definitely be cool when Bob’s Place is fixed & decorated again (with gear of course) …as well as the entire house.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "Flying Cloud" wrote:
    hey dB, I also thought so myself at first, but the fire in Bob’s Place was in February 2003, and the above article is from Dec 2002.

would definitely be cool when Bob’s Place is fixed & decorated again (with gear of course) …as well as the entire house.

Hey FC, I think that only the J. Mascis quote is from December 2002 (from Hot Press, an Irish e-zine, you have to be a subscriber to access their archives, so alas,you can’t get to the full article….), the rest of the article looks more recent to me (mentioning tour dates in August 2003), maybe Jeremiah can shed some light on this….

rambleon
    Participant

i guess it depends on when they started recording … + we all know when a "shields" is involved that could be a long, long time ago !! :wink: :lol:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.