Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions the "without a sound" appreciation thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    two reelers
    Participant

this is an overlooked album, imo. it took "hand it over" a while to be liked (nowadays, see the postings on this forum), but "without a sound" seems to be even more forgotten.

maybe because the songs don’t jump into your face like other dino songs, they are almost unspectacular in comparison, and the sound mix isn’t very good (at leeast on my LP). also, the whole mood is very, very low key, even for a mascis record. having said that, i must stress out how much i adore this album !! it is somehow like a samuel beckett book, very reduced, but still extremely fine crafted. beckett aimed at removing words and language from his writing, and this album is called "without a sound".

"feel the pain" – so simple, and i can listen to it over and over. the holy trinity of "outta hand", "grab it" and "even you". the lyrics of "yeah right". finishing off with "over your shoulder", a quiet giant.

not to mention the wacky cover at, to me it says a lot about being not well understood and feeling lost and alone.

the drums are so good on this record.

i wish they would add a song or two from this album to their current setlist.

Yeah Right
    Participant

I’ve never understood why this album is as unpopular, from the first time I heard it it blew my mind and it still does. I think the songs are amazing, the sound quality is perfect, everything about this album is incredible. From the first time I heard people calling it their least favourite Dino record I didn’t get it. I can’t look at Dinosaur albums analytically or come up with any reasonable argument other than to say that this entire album is a cascade of passion and emotion, a burning sun incarnate in sound and it feels amazing to listen to and makes me glad to be alive.

I have to agree I think hearing the current line-up slamming some of that driving power behind tracks like Grab It and Get Out Of This would be amazing.

tonas

Over Your Shoulder is one of J’s most amazing compositions. I absolutely love that song. It is one of my all time favs for sure.

I listened to this album not too long ago, I had a smile from ear to ear the whole time it was playing. You are right in that it is kind of a forgotten/unappreciated album. It really is a great album though.

Kudos on the thread. :)

essgee09
    Participant

The low key mood is because of a couple things.J`s father died around that time and J had a bad bout of the flu/pnemonia.
    I did`nt like it much at the time I bought it.1994 had so many great albums it just did`nt seem to be at the top(Sebadoh`s Bakesale being one though Hand It Over was way better than Harmacy).I`ve liked it more and more over time.I also like that Thalia Zedek did backing vocals on 3 tunes :)

two reelers
    Participant

just listening to "get out of this"…don’t know what to say – the riff and this voice, so true.

i start a petition to include at least "grab it" to the setlist of the current tour ! please sign !!

"jon brattin feels nothing" – isn’t that the coolest credit on an album ever ?

Yeah Right
    Participant

I’ll sign it!

md5fungi
    Participant

"Outta Hand" is an amazing song.

Great album, didn’t pay attention to it much until lately, and it’s amazing.

Matthoney
    Participant

I very much agree. If I really thought about it, I think it might be my favorite post-Lou, pre-reunion Dinosaur record. It’s really deep, quiet, and dark record. Much more than just about any other record in the catalog.

Feel the Pain is probably my least favorite Dinosaur single, but it’s not terrible by any means. I Don’t Think So is such an underrated song. it’s so catchy. And over Your Shoulder is an epic closer. I think it could be a great closer to live shows these days. I think a lot of people tend to forget about it, because it’s usually overlooked as nothing more than the "Feel the Pain" record, and because J doesn’t solo excessively like he tends to do on other records. It helped show J’s strength as a writer in many ways.

All in all, it’s awesome :D

kbrechin
    Participant

It took me a while but I think it’s an amazing album, regardless of "Feel The Pain" which I do love also. Mind glow, yeah right etc amazing stuff!

tigergolf06
    Participant

Mind Glow is an absolutely beautiful song. I love the guitar in that. J’s vocals are like "glowing" in Mind Glow..it’s special.

And yeah, Over Your Shoulder is excellent.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.