Home › Forums › General Discussions › Open Topic › The Strokes
- This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 21 years, 8 months ago by humble joe.
August 29, 2001 at 11:26 am #44643
Wondering what you guys in the US think of The Strokes? They have been hyped to hell over here in the music press and I got the impression they were more popular here. Is that true? What do you think? I just got the debut album and its pretty rocking. The hype is valid.
Also got Mellow Gold.
Cheers!August 31, 2001 at 7:07 am #65026
Luckily there hasn’t been any hyping of the strokes here in norway. Cuz if that had been the case, I most likely would have steered clear of them. That would have been a great loss! I really dig the album -it has a distinctive vibe and personality and the whole album is great [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]August 31, 2001 at 10:53 am #65027
never belive the hype…I saw ed harcourt live a while ago …and he was not THAT good..the same goes for the strokes..I mean they are not the new rock and roll saviors.
The hype is a way for journalists to sell.September 7, 2001 at 9:30 pm #65028
I borrowed a copy of the Strokes cd from a friend of mine, and I’m not too impressed. They basically rip off everything from the Ramones, via Blondie via VU to Television (which aren’t the worst bands to steal from, by the way…) In fact, the songs are quite decent, but the sound is just very flat (my friend called it ‘easy-listening punk’, which I think is a very good description!).
Well, now I’m playing some real music again: Television’s ‘Marquee Moon’ [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]September 8, 2001 at 1:17 pm #65029
Hey Marquee Moon is a really cool album. Yeah I like that one a lot.
I agree that the influences are very clear, almost to the extent of rip-off but I just think they have some good tunes in their own right. Not my fave band but I think pretty cool, unique in the current scene if not in a historical sense.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)