Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room the order of effects

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sonny
    Participant

i was just wondering how people go about putting their effects in order the way they do. does it really matter where everything is? this is what i have:

fender deluxe fat strat —
    mxr phase 90
    rat distortion
    boss digital delay dd-5
    bionix expandora I distortion
    boss ce-2 chorus
    crybaby wah

help is greatly appreciated. thanx.

ScreamingTree
    Participant

I’ve read that there is an order, but I can’t remember the reasoning behind it. Alls i know is that when the wah goes before the distortion it doesn’t sound as good. i think

malcom
    Participant

Okay, here’s the deal. There is no rules. Most people think delay should come last, obviously. Because it’s simulating an amp or speaker self destructing, most people put distortion somewhere near the end of a signal chain. If you are using stereo chorus, put that near the end. But, these are mere guidlines.

Mattman
    Participant

Here’s my order…

Guitar
    Wah
    Main Distortion
    Secondary Distortion
    (Chorus)
    (Delay)
    Inline Tuner
    Amp

I put the delay and chorus in ()’s because I don’t usually use them. They suck away my tone due to the electronic switching on them that doesn’t completely flip the circuit. One day I’m gonna gut them and put real mechanical switches on them… [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You’ll also notice that I put my wah before the distortion. That’s how I usually do it, but sometimes I flip them. Most people don’t do this way, but I like it. From what I’ve noticed:

Distortion –> Wah == a squaky kind of sound.

Wah –> Distortion == a sreaming kind of sound.

furry thing
    Participant

My order:

-Guitar-
    Memory man (delay/chorus/echo)
    Big muff (main dist/fuzz)
    Rat (2nd dist)
    Jim D tremolo
    Small stone (phaser)
    MXR flanger
    -Amp-

The reason for my set-up: The memory man give’s this 70’s echo, which I want to use as my input sound. Then the distortions and the other effects after. I find that putting the flanger after the distortions sound much better because all the harmonics are being flanged (to get that airplane kinda sound). same for the other pedals.

Good luck….

Randy Jane
    Participant

I sometimes dont have enough time to look down at my pedals because I have to sing at the same time, so, I have pedals on both sides of the mic stand. The pedals I use the most are the ones that are the closest to my feet. I am right handed so usually the cable from the amp is on my left side, and the chain goes from there.
    ’78 Peavey Musician head/Asi 412 cab
    Dunlop vol (worst pedal ever, I hate it!)
    Dod grunge (second to worst pedal ever)
    Mic stand
    Dod Chorus
    Zoom 505 guitar (My mustang fell on it crushing the board inside so now it makes really cool noises but the cleans and distortions work fine, but I cant edit anything)
    Dunlop Wah
    Guitar

It really varies though, sometimes I just take the grunge and chorus….the order is how ever I can get it set up quickest.

PeteSome
    Participant

I normally have it like this, but thats ’cause I can’t ever be bothered to experiment….

Geetar
    wire
    Rat Distortion
    wee wire
    Crybaby Wah
    wee wire
    Aria Multieffects pedal for delay and random noise
    wee wire
    Dod Flange
    wire
    Amp

I think I might have messed about with it before and decided I liked that best, or it could just be how they came out the boxes as I unpacked. Has got me thinking though, and I’ll probably have a wee play about with the order, see what happens. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

malcom
    Participant

Here’s my signal chain:
    Bass-cable-SWR SM400-Harke 4X10 Cabinet

K.I.S.S.

Gideon
    Participant

There aren’t really any rules, coz u can do what u want. But if you don’t do certain things you may end up sounding kinda lame.
    Distortion should go at the beginning of your effects chain. The only exceptions to this rule are:
    Compression/Limiter (which should be the first in line no matter what), and any wah effect you might have, b
    Octave (after compression but before the distortion coz u have to distort the octave tones seperatly, and after the distortion will just sound mushy)
    Wah can go before or after the distortion, depending on what sounds better to you, but most people say wah sounds better before the octave and distortion effects.

Other effects afterthi tend to go in this order, but experiment and see what order you prefer.
    Also, if you have a seperat effects loop in your amp, then try and run these effects thru it, as having all of your pedals in a line before your amp really degrades the signal and sounds cack.)

1) Speaker simulator
    2) Noise Suppressor
    3) Modulation (Harmonist, Flanger, Phaser, Vibrato)
    4) Delay
    5) Chorus
    6) Tremolo/Pan
    7) Reverb

So for your effects, they should probably go:

fender deluxe fat strat-
    1) Crybaby wah (or if u want, after the distortion)
    2&3)rat distortion/bionix expandora I distortion (whichever order u prefer)
    4) mxr phase 90
    5) boss digital delay dd-5
    6) boss ce-2 chorus
    7) amp

However, see which order u want 4,5, and 6 to go in, and I would run them thru the effects loop on your amp if you have one.
    For the distortion and wah, mess about with 1, 2, and 3, you’ve got 6 different options of what order you put them in, so experiment.

Hope this helps [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

monkeysnail
    Participant

MY usual order is

acoustic guitar->my ears->my brain

i have not an electric :cry:

simmons
    Participant

guitar
    stagetuner
    flanger
    phaser
    mxr distortion
    superfuzz
    amp

malcom
    Participant

After I bollixed it up before, I sat down and thought about it. The rule of thumb seems to be:

Filter effects (wah, auto wah’s)>Distortion>Modulations (phaser, flanger, tremelo, Ring modulater, etc.)>Delay (includes chorus).

Stage tuners and compressors generally come first or last, noise supressors come last (or are put in effects loops). And pitch shifters are either put before the "filters" or are put in with the other modulators.

So in my brain it’d go:
    fender deluxe fat strat —
    crybaby wah
    rat distortion
    bionix expandora I distortion
    mxr phase 90
    boss ce-2 chorus
    boss digital delay dd-5

you didn’t say anything about amps. If you’ve got multiple amps you can put the chorus after the delay and get a stereo effect (always fantastic). otherwise, this’ll be cool.
    crybaby wah

Randy Jane
    Participant

Ok, my set up has changed a bit. Now my order of FX are as such: Peavey Amp (Ch. 1)
    Peavey Amp (Ch. 2)
    Fender Combo Amp
    Fender Half Stack Amp
    Swithcing System
    Chorus
    Distortion
    Wah
    Guitar

Its in that order, because, if the distortion comes before the chorus, I cant hear the chorus hardly at all. Same with the Wah, if distortion is after the wah, I cant hear the wah. I want the most sound I can get out my rig, so, thats why its like this. So, as for my setup, yes…it DOES matter what order you slap your effects in.

RJ.

ammaringnyc
    Participant

The general order is wah then guitar followed by distortion or overdrive then any modulation like chorus and then time based stuff like delay last . Compressers go first. You can try anything you like though. My setup is:

guitar
    rmc3 wah
    big muff
    lovetone ? flanger
    tzf flanger
    ibanez ad-9 delay

ammaringnyc
    Participant

The general order is wah then guitar followed by distortion or overdrive then any modulation like chorus and then time based stuff like delay last . Compressers go first. You can try anything you like though. My setup is:

guitar
    rmc3 wah
    big muff
    lovetone ? flanger
    tzf flanger
    ibanez ad-9 delay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.