Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic the female touch

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Jeeez, what is this obsession with Madonna? Alright, True Blue had a nice tune, but the whole production is, well, just silly. Which reminds me, the groove on Justify my Love is nicked from some my bloody valentine instrumentals, that you got as a bonus 7 inch with the first pressing of Isn`t anything (or was it the other way round, does anyone know? Or care?). Anyway, I was in this club and thought wow, they´re playing my bloody valentine, rushed onto the dancefloor and two minutes later it dawned on me, that it was actually Madonna and I thought shit, I´m dancing (well more a sort of wobbling) to a Madonna tune. Aaaaaargh! How do I get out of this? Fortunately there was no one there I knew. Interesting isn´t it? Anyway, I have nothing against Madonna, in fact I thought she was rather convincing as an actress in Snake Eyes. Just the music is crap. If we have to have a female superstar, I guess it has to be Björk.
    And no way is his name Peter Parot. I have almost all of my records in Düsseldorf (dont ask), so I cant check, but I think his surname was Perett or something. Do you give a fuck? Just to show you how observant I am. Will get back to that Napster workout soon.
    gruss
    d

if you don’t find what you are looking for, ask for it

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey,

Let me get this straight, is someone who admits to dancing to madonna…the horror…giving me the business about a typo…yikes. The Only Ones are incredible, Another Girl Another Planet is one of my fav pop songs of all times. Definitely recommend you do the napster thing, enjoy the show on friday looking forward to your spin on things.

Allison

ps your correct on the spelling

[This message has been edited by bates (edited November 30, 2000).]

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Dinosaur toured a while back (in the UK) with 2 female led bands, both ok. Come (the less ok) and Bettie Serveert who were actually very good.

There was a fairly feeble riot girrrrrrl thing over here in the early 90’s too (don’t know if it made it to USA – I think it did coz Bikini Kill are American) with Mambo Taxi, and Huggy Bear (all namechecked in a lo-fi Sammy excursion – now what happened to those guys??).

And then there was Voice of the Beehive, the Go-Go’s and Bow Wow Wow (with Malcolm McLaren as manager – they were kinda weird, causing a bit of trouble with their naked 14 year old female singer on one of the albums – obviously McLaren’s idea.)

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

sorry to disagree with you Javro – Come are one of my favourite groups. Bettie Serveert are great too.

Here are my faves:

1. Come
    2. Kristen Hersh/Throwing Muses
    3. Cocteau Twins
    4. Madder Rose
    5. Yo La Tengo
    6. Grace Jones

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

It`s kind of typicall, that the British claim Riot Grrrls as their own thing (mind you, they still think they invented Punk). As my understanding of it, Riot Grrrls developed from Foxcore (you know, Babes in Toyland, Seven year Bitch, Dickless, Calamity Jane ect) and only the British leg of it was rather feeble. And Mambo Taxi weren´t Riot Girrrls in the first place. More wet Indie Pop, but Do you always dress like that in front of other peoples Boyfriends? remains a classic. The singer is now in Animals that Swim, me thinks.
    Note on Peter Perett. When I first got into the Only Ones, his voice reminded me of Gordon Garno. What do you think?
    gruss
    d

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey Dimpfelmoser,

Definitely with you on the punk thing, Iggy is definitely the godfather of all punk….New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers and the Ramones definitely were the starting point of punk. I still love the european take on it though.

I always thought Peter Perrets voice was sort of similar to Johnny Thunders just better….in a way. Have you checked out Nina Antonia biography of the Only Ones….cool but sad. She also just released an updated version of In Cold Blood…biography of Johnny Thunders.

Sucks when you can’t play vinyl doesn’t it, only have one cd by the Only Ones…tons of vinyl I can’t play!!! Freak stereo avalanche killed my turntable…god.

Allison…off to phone the guy who has had my Only Ones cd for weeks….ahhhhh

http://www.jungle-records.com/ if your interested they have some cool biographies on Only Ones, Thunders, Slits etc

<FONT>[Edited 1 time by bates on December 04, 2000 at 03:52 PM]</font>

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Sorry about the mistake Dimpf, wasn’t really claiming that we "invented" riotgirrrrrls and ain’t too bothered to find out that we didn’t. Bruised Violet and all that malarky just don’t do it for me. Great legs though, if memory serves.

Still, I guess it’s a bit like stating that Take That were the first boy band, when it was clearly the Beatles. Pidgeonholing eh? Don’t ya just love it!

Ich stehe auf dem Standpunkt dass das Umwelt sehr wichtig ist.

Still, we did invent football though.
    Didn’t we??

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

I wouldn´t know about the soccer thing, cause I´m not interested in sports, but I´m pretty certain that the Brits invented political sex scandals. So thumbs up to that.
    I disagree on the Beatles being the first Boygroup, cause what defines a Boygroup is, that they have been casted, that they don´t write their own songs, that they can´t play instruments, that the music is completly irrelevant and at least one member has to be gay. The Beatles fail on most of these. If it is enough to be adored by female teenagers, then the Mills Brothers would be the first Boygroup.
    Namedropping to be continued
    and yes, I do love England
    didn´t they invent Fish & Chips?
    And it should be die Umwelt, but I let it pass this time.
    And Bates, why don´t you just buy a new turntable?
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[Edited 1 time by dimpfelmoser on December 05, 2000 at 10:00 AM]</font>

<FONT>[Edited 2 times, lastly by dimpfelmoser on December 05, 2000 at 10:03 AM]</font>

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Thats the plan dimpfelmoser, god my discman sounds better than my current system…that sucks. Napster has helped out in the interim thou, able to get tons of songs I can’t play on vinyl.

Allison…..insanely cold where I am currently ahhhh

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

You know what i like about the british

octopussy

"You look down at me and see a fool, you look up at me and see your lord, you look at me and see yourself"
    Charles Manson

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey – it’s great to be loved, guys. Let’s not start some "you know what I love about the (enter nationality)" thing.

It makes people look kinda uneducated and shallow.

But, Octopussy did kick ass.

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Hey Javro, I didn´t know that it was possible for people to look kinda uneducated. So far I was under the impression, that you only could look plain stupid. Thanks for filling me in on that.
    And yes, sometimes you have to be shallow.
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[Edited 1 time by dimpfelmoser on December 06, 2000 at 04:49 AM]</font>

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Er, well spelling someone’s name wrong, that would make someone look kinda uneducated.

No, sorry, you were right.

Just plain stupid.

Don’t ya just love international jolly banter?

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Good thing you can edit your postings
    Javro! I haven´t the faintest idea what you are talking about. However, I reckon International jolly Banter would make a great name for a band.
    It´s not exactly warm here either, but it has been years since I could go ice skating. So I´m hoping for a real cold winter
    gruss
    d

OriginalPosterLost
    Participant

Typo = uneducated/just plain stupid….harsh don’t you think…judging on limited info is kinda worse don’t you think?

Enjoy your skating Dimpfelmoser, mighty cold here still…..-23c…yikes.

Allison

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.