Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions The bonus tracks disk with songs from the super deluxe Farm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

Hee,hee, it’s already September and just yesterday afternoon one of my kids found the"Farm" packaging tucked away in some pocket of my car. I’m a little " :oops: " to admit that I had not even removed the "bonus" disk and listened to it. When I purchased the thing….I remember unwrapping it as I made my way down the sidewalk. I was so jacked just to hear the "meat" of the work…that I threw on the disk with pieces and plans….fell in love with the songs right away…came home took the disk out of the car brought it into the house and made some copies and never once remembered that there was another disk in this collection. My life is busier now than it has ever been before…so I don’t have as much Freakscene time but I do try and check in each day…there has hardly been much of a mention of those bonus tracks here and if there has it slipped under my radar. Yesterday, after becoming reunited with the "Farm" packaging, I pulled the disk out and threw it on. My kids (and I, of course) loved hearing "houses"….my oldest said "that’s J’s voice but that doesn’t sound like a song that he would write. She was correct (I had no idea what it was until I came home to the internet and found out a little more information) and after that song every other little bonus song was just as adorable. Cecilia (Keeko) my 15 year old said "Farm is the best Dinosaur Jr album, it’s now my favorite" WOW…Little Juan Carlos said "No,No Keeko, nothing beats Green Mind with "The Wagon (his favorite Dino song) and the best two words ever put together in a song "EVERYTHING SUCKED"
    In fact, for the past several months when Carlos (the family’s young resident humorist in training) is feeling bummed….he says out loud "EVERYTHING SUCKED" imitating with precisely accurate intonation J’s voice from "Muck" I don’t know how anyone else feels about these bonus (I love that word) tracks along with deluxe (which is a word that is showing up a lot lately butted up against many mentionings of Farm.) Just like "seminal" was the word every writer loved to use after the "reunion", Uggg, I can hardly type that word with out shuddering. Nothing like going to your husbands school reunion, and having folks surrounding you who are now doctors, lawyers, politicians,executives with Exxon Mobile, well received novelists, and my favorite Juan Pablo who is a Colombian ambassador (his wife a television journalist) he told us.."we travel so much sometimes we are in France for lunch and back in Spain for dinner and then off to New York the next morning, he then let out a very warm and sincere laugh and said "the world is our children’s playground" "Wow, I replied, that’s wonderful, I spend a lot of time digging under the seats of my car to find quarters, and when we like get enough, I’ll take the kids out to eat at the Taco Stand, bean and cheese burrito and a drink for like $2.50, you only hope and pray the young fellow wrapping up your burrito washed his hands after his 3 AM romp with his girlfriend. The tool shed out back of our house is the basis for all good playground fun, fishing tackle boxes with rusty old hooks, empty gas cans, a couple of mattock axes, shovels, a rather large ball of twine,a joint compound bucket full of screws and large jug of acetone. What is not to love about any sort of REUNION?

Anyone else want to chime in on feelings about these extra bonus deluxe songs?

simmons
    Participant

i like the bonus disc. Show sounds a bit funny. a bit ironic done if you know what i mean. I like Whenever you’re ready alot.

JCrumbliecookies
    Participant

Finally! I’ve been saying it since I first heard it: "Houses" is one of the best things these guys have ever recorded, and certainly their best cover after "Just Like Heaven." The Zombies tune is an ambitious and competent effort (a deceptively hard song to play–listen to the original "Whenever You’re Ready"; I always wanted them to do "Walking in the Sun" a la Jesus and Mary Chain, but what can you do?). However, if there were any justice, "Houses" would be a top-ten hit and everyone would be grooving to it as much as me and my kids are (it is the most-requested Dino tune in the car during family trips). Lou gets the credit for suggesting this Elyse tune in the first place, all the more so because it matches J’s vocal sensibilities so perfectly, and it reminds me how close Dino can be to those aspects of Tom Petty that are solidly good and pop-rocked. Methinks it’d be a great tune to hear live, eh?

Annastefka
    Participant

Yes, we have been listening to this in the car this weekend a lot…finally this morning on the way to school…the disk was gently placed back into it’s pouch and we are giving it a little break.

but the funny thing I have noticed about these four songs is…it is a strange idea to devote a whole disk with it’s printing and packaging to just four songs…although I understand why they were separated from the other work. Also each song has that "We can fix it in the mix" quality about them….a sort of cut and paste project but that’s not to say we are not enjoying them.

I especially like how jcrumbliecookies comes out to post on Freakscene just once every four years or so.
    Has insider information and then drifts away….for another four years. He/She rocks imho. I wish I could be so quiet…..impossible for a Gemini.

girl
    Participant
    "JCrumbliecookies" wrote:
    Finally! I’ve been saying it since I first heard it: "Houses" is one of the best things these guys have ever recorded, and certainly their best cover after "Just Like Heaven." The Zombies tune is an ambitious and competent effort (a deceptively hard song to play–listen to the original "Whenever You’re Ready"; I always wanted them to do "Walking in the Sun" a la Jesus and Mary Chain, but what can you do?). However, if there were any justice, "Houses" would be a top-ten hit and everyone would be grooving to it as much as me and my kids are (it is the most-requested Dino tune in the car during family trips). Lou gets the credit for suggesting this Elyse tune in the first place, all the more so because it matches J’s vocal sensibilities so perfectly, and it reminds me how close Dino can be to those aspects of Tom Petty that are solidly good and pop-rocked. Methinks it’d be a great tune to hear live, eh?

Yes. Times 7. And my brain just about melted from just thinking about a Walking In The Sun cover. Just imagine how that would sound! "If they only knew…"
    Enough of the what if’s though…The bonus tracks are awesome and might I add that so is hearing about everyone’s kiddos loving and requesting Dino. :D

hurrifanatic01
    Participant

the instrumental off of there is amazing. i cant remember if its houses or creepies though. damn now i wanna listen to that bitch..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.