Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

J just performed (Aug 4th) at the release party for Matthew Specktor’s new book "That Summertime Sound".

Hear J, James Franco, Jeremy Irons, Gwyneth Paltrow & Morgan Freeman read excerpts on the site

http://thatsummertimesound.com

Two pics I’ve found from the show: [attachment=1]21504100.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]21504100.jpg[/attachment]

tom
    Participant

Awesome!

Robert
    Participant
    maxini
    Participant

Nice! Hearing J reciting somehow made me immediately think of William Burroughs’ reciting his own thanksgiving prayer…

Chicago_Fog
    Participant

Very Nice!

Hairy Cornflake
    Participant

That was really unusual and great!

Thanks for posting it!

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

And now a vid of J playing "Plans" from the show :P
    [youtube]JggizV9SC-8[/youtube]

"Get Me"
    [youtube]TI697A1X3hM[/youtube]

Annastefka
    Participant

Wow..J rocks…was that reading done live? J can read to his son…(the more children are read to the higher the IQ…also they test way higher in English/Language Arts) Some nights I have been so busy and the kids are begging to continue a book….and then I beg my husband to take over and read for me and the children yell "Noooooooooo" he doesn’t do the voices….please..Mama…you read. My husband does read very rote.

J does the voices….he rocks.

Yeah Right
    Participant

Awesome :) any way of getting the audio from the site?

Chicago_Fog
    Participant
    "Annastefka" wrote:
    (the more children are read to the higher the IQ…also they test way higher in English/Language Arts)

Another proven scientific fact. :roll:
    I’m not responding so please don’t try to engage me with a rambling response.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid”>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factoid

Annastefka
    Participant
    "Chicago_Fog" wrote:
    "Annastefka" wrote:
    (the more children are read to the higher the IQ…also they test way higher in English/Language Arts)

Another proven scientific fact. :roll:

Are you kidding me…Lots of studies to back this up…but I’m not gonna fish around on the internet to find them for you.
    Just think about it…a child who hears words..is going to learn them. (unless there is some major cognitive snafu) With my 4 year old, I read and touch…so he now can read…three and four letter words…even some five letter words..he has sight/memory and actually boys seem to do better with sight/memory than with phonics…when it comes to English.

Chicago Fog….you so need to smoke some grass and go and jerk off…you will feel a whole lot better about the rest of the day and be able to pick a proper battle. Unless you are at work..then I would wait to do either of those things.

Annastefka
    Participant

Hey "Plans" sounds great in that vid…Look Mom…no Auto-Tune on J’s voice….and it’s sounding strong and wonderful.

Chicago Fog…I found a restaurant for you….what time is your lunch break?

[img]http://www.adrants.com/images/friendlys_happy_ending.jpg[/img]

mspecktor
    Participant

Hey,

I was just nosing around (as the host of that party, and the writer of the book in question) and found this lovely thread. J. was amazing, that night. I’d never seen him acoustic: most of my memories are of very early (first album and before) Dino shows in Amherst. It’s pretty astonishing, but the guy just gets better.

The passage from the book was recorded at J’s home studio. I gotta say, I love his rendition. He brings such wonderful, and characteristic, style to it.

All those passages were fun to record, but I’ve got a real sweet spot for J’s. He’s been a huge hero of mine for so long.

I hope some of you will investigate the book. I really do think it might appeal to anyone who’s ever had the pleasure of going half-deaf while listening to a band they love (um, I’m guessing that might include at least a few of us here. :D )

M

bloodyears
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.