Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Tarpit (different versions?)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jahzinho
    Participant

Hey folks. I registered here to ask this one question that’s really bothering me! I’m sorry in advance for the longwinded explanation.

So my history with Dinosaur, as with a lot of bands I got into during high school, is that I downloaded their music off of Soulseek (I downloaded *a lot* of tunes on Soulseek back in the good ol days). Now Soulseek is a great tool for finding mu$ick, but the risk you take is that some schlub user could have uploaded something and given it a label, but it might not be ‘correct’ in one way or another.

I still remember really really getting into You’re Living All Over Me during my junior year of high school, and it’s still one of my favorite albums, something I’ve played more than almost anything over the past decade. and one of my fav tunes was always Tarpit, just an absolute emotional ripper of a song.

BUT, and here’s why my question comes up, I recently was at work listening to random songs on YouTube, and decided to search for Tarpit, and I was surprised to see that it’s a different recording/performance of the song than I’m used to. I figured it was a reissue or bonus track or something mislabeled, but after downloading a bunch of versions of the song (including ‘authoritative’ rips of the original vinyl on legit torrent sites such as What.cd), it’s clear to me that the Tarpit I’m familiar with is…. a demo? an alternate track? something?

It’s somewhat sad to me that I’ve been listening to YLAOM for soooo long and vibing to this version of Tarpit for soooo long, only to find that it’s not what was on the album. Yes, this is a semi-OCD concern, but it’s one of my favorite records!! The version of Tarpit I know (which I cannot for the life of me track down anywhere else) is much more raw, poorly recorded and emotionally obliterating. The regular version just doesn’t measure up in comparison.

So I guess my question here is: Does anyone know about another version of Tarpit that was issued at some point? How could I have been wrong about this for so long? Anyhow, I checked the rest of YLAOM online, and it looks like that’s the only song that’s different. But I guess this is the price I pay for trusting an anonymous Soulseek user to upload the proper album. Either way, I’m not changing the song from my iPod. (it’s kinda shitty that I still haven’t bought a physical copy of one of my favorite records, huh?)

Let me know if you know anything about this!!

Thanks

Hatchetface
    Participant

You might check the version on Jayloumurph..I think you can find the whole thing on youtube or soulseek

empire3

It’s probably the Lou vocal verison ? Never official
    released?

Dinosaur Jr – Rarities (1987-1989)

jahzinho
    Participant

Hey gentlemen (or ladies?), thanks for your replies. Neither of these versions are it. I guess my best option is to trawl YouTube and Soulseek or what not for alternate versions. It’s definitely J singing on the track I’m talking about. The guitar intro is a bit extended than the normal version… it also cuts out during the ‘noise attack’ at the end. Dunno if that description helps at all. Either way, thanks for your help.

Hatchetface
    Participant

Can you put the version you have up here?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.