Home Forums General Discussions Site Suggestions + Comments SXSW Festival Performances

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

jeremiah
    Keymaster

MORE LIVE J!!!!
    J Mascis will be appearing at the 2004 SXSW Music Conference in Austin, TX.
    J will be playing TWICE! The first show is Friday March 19th at the Cactus Cafe, set times and other acts TBA. Next, J will be appearing at the Vibe on Saturday March 20th at about 5:30 in the afternoon at the "High Times" magazine party. Tickets are limited to festival goers – for more on ticketing to the festival visit http://www.sxsw.com

— Added 02.25.2004
    The Austin "High Times" party is open to the public. 18+ are able to purchase $5 tix in Austin at The Grateful Shed 512.451.4624

Oh…. and there is one more thing… FREE FOOD AND FREE BEER at the High Times Party.

— Added 03.16.2004

BBC 1, 2 and 6 will be broadcasting from the festival. Let’s send the presenters Steve Lamacq +/or Zane Lowe lots of emails, to focus their attention on J :mrgreen:

rambleon
    Participant

alright !!! :mrgreen:

simmons
    Participant

nice. now I’m waiting for the new album and eurodates. I know they’ll come some day later this year… :D

snow
    Participant

WTF?! Has anyone been there before? I looked at the website and saw major dinero to attend… whats the d/l on it? any tricks or anything? can you just attend shows show by show???

Annastefka
    Participant

Yes, I have been. You can find show by show tickets but some shows will be sold out. (Venue Full) This event is all about PROMO, which is good, if you do not live in TEXAS, Fuck it. Sorry, I have Cousins in Austin and it is difficult unless you live in state. Austin is like Athens however, it is worth the trip just to experience. Sort of like the "Fool" card in Tarot. S.

I am going to edit and say full pass will enable you not to have to be let down. Now this event is MUCH bigger than it used to be , say 10 years ago or so. Although I was working with film at the time the last and only time I was there was BEFORE film became a part of this thing. It was at one time small and humble. I just went to web-site, My Gosh what is this, don’t take my advice! Who knows how they work this thing now. It looks like it has grown into a monster. Hold on the music business has grown into a monster, I think I just made a connection.

rambleon
    Participant
    Quote:
    With over 1100 :shock: acts currently scheduled to play, it may be the most energetic event in years.

i’ll say !

does each band get enough time to play a full set – or how does that work ?

simmons
    Participant

Normally bands get to play maximum 30 minutes at showcases. was this festival over one weekend?!

Robert
    Participant

This is so cool, coming back here after a week, reading all this F*KING great news! Album, reissues, more shows… Guess I should go on a drinking binge more often if this is what awaits me when I’m back.

rambleon
    Participant

no, not just a weekend of great music … the sxsw website says the music festival is on from 17-21 march, but still that’s a lot of bands for 5 days :shock: :aliensmile:

jeremiah
    Keymaster

updated with the new High Times Show info :D

AGAP
    Participant

Only five bucks to see J, plus the bonus of free food & beer…people better get their tickets fast :!:

rambleon
    Participant

good news !! bbc radio 6 will be broadcasting from the sxsw festival … no mention of j specifically, but you can read all about it here :arrow:http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/southbysouthwest/ :D :D

rambleon
    Participant

further to that, i’d keep an eye out + an ear peeled for reports from zane lowe + steve lamacq :idea: as they are the alternative/indie type guys there … plus if you click the austin diary page it says you can email the dj’s while they’re there … maybe we could all email steve lamacq +/or zane lowe + give them a heads up on j’s show + ask them if they’d consider interviewing him or broadcasting some of his show live ??? 8)

FlyingCloud
    Participant

very cool find, rambleon!!! thanks a lot! :mrgreen: :!:

great idea about contacting the DJ. doesn’t cost anything, so we should try and show them, that many are interested in J Mascis :D

(…but isn’t it a bit weird for a British Radio station to pay so much attention to an independent festival in Texas? :? )

rambleon
    Participant

yeah, i was kind of thinking that too, but i guess the festival is a biggie (1100 acts :shock:) …

i have no idea if they have done this sort of thing before b/c it’s been less than a year since we got digital tv + i never really knew what bbc 6 music was all about so i never bothered to check it out on the bbc website … but even if they don’t do anything on j, it’ll still be cool to tune into … + maybe robert will find some more bands of interest to expand his record collection :wink: :aliensmile:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.