Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Swedish bands that don’t suck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

maxini
    Participant

Inspired by all the Scandinavia spiel today, here’s a little parallell to the "Canadian bands that don’t suck" thread. There’s loads and loads of crap in Sweden, but also a few bands that don’t make me wanna puke+cry, so here:

Silverbullit
    Hellacopters
    Bear Quartet
    Nomads
    Bob Hund
    Esbjörn Svensson Trio
    Hives
    Soundtrack of Our Lives (reincarnation of Union Carbide Productions)
    Refused
    Easy
    Thåström
    Olle Ljungström

Prolly I’ll kick myself for forgetting something, I caught a cold yesterday and got a fever right now so I’m not exactly thinking straight (as if I ever am). Anyways, feel free to diss this lame little list.

I?m insane
    Participant

soundtrack rules seen them a coupple of time this summer and they were great.

Am I the only one that thought that peter svenssons solo thing were kick ass good?

Robert
    Participant

Maxini, -what about;
    Ebba Grøn?
    Robert Johnsen and Punchdrunks?

maxini
    Participant

Yeah I’m insane, soundtrack always rule live. I take it that by Peter Svensson’s solo thing you’re referring to his collaboration with Joakim Berg from Kent, called "Paus". Well, I agree, that one wasn’t bad at all.

Robert, you’re right about Robert Johnsen + Punchdrunks. They rule and forgetting about them was a huge blob [img]images/smiles/converted/redface.gif[/img]
    Personally I think Ebba Grön always was a bit overrated though, but on the other hand they’re the most influencial swedish punk band ever, plus they sure as hell didn’t suck, so I agree on that one too.

Robert
    Participant

Oh, Radioaktive Reker, almost forgot them!

Robert
    Participant

Sahara Hotnights -they’re not that great, but they don’t suck. They opened for Hellacopters in Oslo couple of months ago, and I must say they put on a good show.

maxini
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert:
    <STRONG>Sahara Hotnights -they’re not that great, but they don’t suck. They opened for Hellacopters in Oslo couple of months ago, and I must say they put on a good show.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeps, Hotnights are hot, forgot about them too. A pretty cool story is that they applied for, and received, financial support from the European Union to get their band going, only to be dissing the whole EU concept in interview after interview later on. Guess every now and then it’s a good thing that EU is a big bureaucratic monster that showers tax payers’ money onto all kinds of obscure projects.

Radioaktiva Räker though? Nah, not for me.

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

the (International) Noise Conspiracy

are they Swedish?
    they surely don’t suck!
    one of the most exciting live bands I’ve seen!

maxini
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by den buck:
    <STRONG>the (International) Noise Conspiracy

are they Swedish?
    they surely don’t suck!
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeah they are, no they surely don’t. Goofed up again, but so what else is new? I was actually thinking of putting them on the list but somehow it slipped my mind. However, several members of (I)NC used to be in Refused which I did include.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

International Noise Conspiracy warmed up for Mascis when I saw them in the midwest last year. They were great, loved the suits as well [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison

Robert
    Participant

Maxini, what do you think of Voice Of A Generation? I think they’re pretty good, nice little old skool outfit.

And I mustn’t forget Broder Daniel -been a fan of the group since ’96 when I got Saturday Night Engine from a friend in Sweden. The whole Fucking Ã…mÃ¥l hype ruined it a bit for me, but I still think they’re great.

maxini
    Participant

Yeah, I dig Broder Daniel too, thanks for pointing them out Robert. Can’t see why Fucking Ã…mÃ¥l ruined it for ya though, I thought it was a pretty cool movie. Btw, the base player HÃ¥kan Hellström recently recorded a solo album with swedish lyrics, which has sold way more than than all of BDs records put together. Was pretty hyped by the press too. He’s saying that BD hasn’t broken up though, so let’s hope they’ll soon release some new stuff again.

Never heard much of Voice of a Generation, but I did see that neato outfit [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison, you mentioned Damned’s Smash It Up yesterday, have you heard International Noise Conspiracy’s version of it? It’s pretty good, although I like most of their own tunes better. Just listened to Capitalism Stole My Virginity [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] a few mins ago … gotta say, they’re one of the few bands with political lyrics that actually rocks. Btw, now I’m curious, what was so damn special about their suits?

Robert
    Participant

Yeah I think it’s a cool movie too, maybe "ruined" was a too strong a word. But I felt that a lot of folks(here in Norway at least,) started to feel it was "hip" to say they liked BD ‘cuz of the movie. That it was more important to own a BD cd, than to actually listen to it and enjoy it. But I guess that’s the damage hype can do to a band, or a film for that matter. But as you said, cool movie, great band!

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Maxini,

Nope haven’t heard them do Smash It UP…that I can remember [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] but can imagine that they would do it justice. Have you heard The Damned version…very cool.

Those suits, well they just looked cool running and jumping around in those suits while playing some wicked music. One of them smashed himself in the face and ran off bleeding…yikes [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

ps clever use of a killer line earlier [img]images/smiles/converted/cool.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

How about Millencolin? Same Old Tunes, Life On A Plate and The Melancholy Collection at least. Pennybridge Pioneers wasn’t excactly my cup o’ tea though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.