Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Summer Songs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    essgee09
    Participant

The tunes that sound good in summer?

Tim Buckley-Pleasant Street
    Love-Orange Skies
    Teenage Fanclub-Ain`t That Enough
    Son Volt-Creosote
    Dinosaur Jr-Water
    Fairport Convention-Tale In A Hard Time
    Husker Du-Celebrated Summer
    Yo La Tengo-Alyda
    Velvet Underground-Sister Ray
    Eleventh Dream Day-Rose Of Jericho
    Swervedriver-Rave Down

girl
    Participant

How funny, just the other day I was listening to music and smiling and dancing around in the sun when I thought to myself "This is summer"…

I’m becoming more and more convinced everday of your mind reading powers. :D

Oh but I’m kind of in a hurry so I’ll just say that Pavement comes to mind. And Of Montreal.
    "Your Magic Is Working" is one of those songs that screams summer, love and your tummy filling with smiles.
    Oh honey I’d swim across the Atlantic
    just to be near to you I’m hopping like a kangaroo…

essgee09
    Participant

Pavement come to mind for me too.All of Crooked Rain Crooked Rain was a big part of the soundtrack of the summer of 1994.I bought Slanted And Enchanted that summer too.

girl
    Participant

Oh my, 1994 was 15 years ago. :shock: "You’re living in the past, man. Comtemporize!" That wasn’t directed at you, SG, it was just a quote that popped into my head. :D

Summer, summer, summer…Hmmmm…Grandaddy was the soundtrack to one summer inparticular. And every now and again I do confess to thoughts of dressing up like a bunny and doing cartwheels in the sun while listening to The Nature Anthem.
    Oh, but let’s see…This summer so far has been filled with Farm and The Thermals and everything else inbetween. Music just makes everything 12 billion and 3 times better.

essgee09
    Participant
    "girl" wrote:
    Oh my, 1994 was 15 years ago. :shock: "You’re living in the past, man. Comtemporize!" That wasn’t directed at you, SG, it was just a quote that popped into my head. :D

Summer, summer, summer…Hmmmm…Grandaddy was the soundtrack to one summer inparticular. And every now and again I do confess to thoughts of dressing up like a bunny and doing cartwheels in the sun while listening to The Nature Anthem.
    Oh, but let’s see…This summer so far has been filled with Farm and The Thermals and everything else inbetween. Music just makes everything 12 billion and 3 times better.

Yeah it`s hard to believe it was 15 years ago.I also remember listening to the Meat Puppets,Seam,Rein Sanction,Belly,Red Red Meat,Codeine,and The Spinanes that summer.There was a good used cd store around(that shut in late `94 :( ) and I found some great stuff there like the bands I just mentioned.I used to talk about Dino Jr with the guy that worked there,he said he hated Green Mind but loved Where You Been :?
    Nothing wrong with living in the past.I`ve been into alot of big band stuff recently that`s 70 years old.I don`t see why anyone has to stick with the current stuff constantly,you can jump around from styles and eras and flavour your listening habits :)

Yeah Right
    Participant

Ace topic :) Summer days or nights?

Sameday – Jay Mascis + the Fog is my number one summer track.

Also every song on Baby I’m Bored, It’s a Shame About Ray, and Come on Feel.

Malcolm Middleton – Fight Like The Night
    Ben Lee – Close I’ve come
    Buffalo Tom – Tangerine
    Meat Puppets – Swimming Ground
    Matthew Sweet – Sick of Myself

essgee09
    Participant
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    Ace topic :) Summer days or nights?

Sameday – Jay Mascis + the Fog is my number one summer track.

Also every song on Baby I’m Bored, It’s a Shame About Ray, and Come on Feel.

Malcolm Middleton – Fight Like The Night
    Ben Lee – Close I’ve come
    Buffalo Tom – Tangerine
    Meat Puppets – Swimming Ground
    Matthew Sweet – Sick of Myself

Days or nights it does`nt matter.Good picks.Funny you mention Ben Lee since I talked about The Spinanes today,Rebecca did backing vocals for Ben.Buffalo Tom`s Sleepy Eyed was a summer record for me in `95.Meat Puppets` Up On The Sun is summery(and one of their best records) though I bought it in the winter.Matthew Sweet`s 100 Percent Fun was another summer of `95 listen :)

built_to_spill
    Participant

Wussy – Happiness Bleeds
    Dave Edmunds – Almost Saturday Night (cover)
    The Ting Tings – That’s Not My Name
    Steely Dan – My Old School

essgee09
    Participant
    "built_to_spill" wrote:
    Dave Edmunds – Almost Saturday Night (cover)

Steely Dan – My Old School

Ever hear Gene Clark/Carla Olson`s cover of Almost Saturday Night?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgFFDEljqLw OgFFDEljqLw

Any Steely Dan song could sound good in summer 8) Countdown To Ecstasy is one of my fave albums of theirs

skatersonic2002
    Participant

When summer comes around, I always listen to Polaris’s Music From The Adventures of Pete and Pete. It’s one of my all time favorite albums and is extremely upbeat and complements the summer flawlessly. If you havent heard this album, I highly advise that you buy it ASAP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_SYFx92-QM k_SYFx92-QM

Robert
    Participant

Violent Femmes debut has allways been a summer album in my book.
    Grandaddy has been mention, I second that.
    Gene Clarks No Other is brilliant and a definite summer album.
    The first effort from The Rentals is also closely tied to the summer in my mind.
    A guilty summer pleasure would have to be Punk In Drublic by NOFX.
    Built To Spills There’s Nothing Wrong With Love has to be on this list, Car is the perfect song for friends and warm summer nights.

This summer I’ve been listening a lot to the new outing from The Thermals, Eels & Dino. Farm and I completely synched on a 7 hour drive to the mountains. Bliss.

Pavement is summer, winter, spring, autumn and everything inbetween. Give me Pavement or give me death. Simple as that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.