Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    King Tubby
    Participant

Good show that started off shaky — J & Lou had all their customary stacks crammed into a room that’s about the size of my apartment. The sound was surprisingly good, given the circumstances. Murph was very rusty, as compared with last summer’s Bug tour when he was a full-on machine; he totally screwed up the breaks in “Thumb” (the set opener), stopping after only about 8-10 bars of J’s solo. J kept playing and Murph would occasionally start again……….but then stop too soon again. Lou was completely befuddled and just stopped playing, while Murph kept looking incredulously at J (who just kept on playing) as if J was the one who didn’t know what he was doing. Not an auspicious start, but they regained footing after that and played a good long set.

Highlights: Gargoyle (haven’t heard them play that since probably ’06), Tarpit (which they played in place of The Wagon since Murph didn’t feel he could hack the fast drumming on that one), Pond Song & They Always Come (nice of them to keep Bug stuff in the set), Sludge (again, one I’ve missed for several years since they always seem to skip it when they play the Chicago area), and………………a Deep Wound song! Training Ground, I think, but I could be wrong.

It was a fun night and great to see them in such a tiny space. Hopefully Murph will get his arse in shape for the fall tour, though.

mjp445
    Participant

Awesome show!

Yea the first song(Thumb) was a little shaky. Couldnt really hear J on vocals to begin with and they kind of fell a part at the end.

The venue was really small and the band (as usual) was super loud. My ears are still ringing.

Overall, it was a solid show. Super cool seeing them live. Look forward to seeing them again tonight at the Green Music Fest!

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster
    King Tubby
    Participant

Murph was in MUCH better form last night, I’m happy to report. While the setting was a bit weird — I’ve never been in the company of so many bros in my life — the band was blazing! Great sound system too, which did full justice to the mega-Marshall assault. And at least a third of the set was different from the night before, which was nice of them. Between the two nights they played all of Bug, with the exception of Yeah We Know, Let It Ride, and Don’t. I hadn’t heard Raisans or Forget the Swan for a long time before last night, and they really tore them up.

It’s at times like this, and like last summer when a street festival brought in Swervedriver, of all unlikely bands, that I really love living in Chicago.

Annastefka
    Participant

Thanks for the info Tubby…What’s a Bro?…you mean like a “back that ass up here” Bro..or more of a “nug of kush” Bro? Hmmm, it’s rare that I don’t get your meaning. Anyway..fill me in. Murph is at least 100,000 times better than me on the drums, I think if he lost both legs and an arm he would still be better than me…. but after the first night’s review and listening to “Out There”……I would recommend that he RELAX into his drumming. There is a strange “uptight” or “clinched” feeling to his drumming from the video above, it’s got a compressed feeling, like the individual beats don’t have enough breath and it sounds stressed to me..imho He’s got the job,(lots of dates on the docket) he should just relax into it and have fun.

Not_a_Bro
    Participant

If by bro, you mean the “ex-fratboy, affliction-tshirt-wearing, miller lite-swilling, high-five” type, then I totally agree. But then again, that’s the crowd at most Chicago festivals. It was strange to see so many of them waiting for Dinosaur Jr. to take the stage, however. I was about 20 feet from the stage and was able to survive about 50 minutes without earplugs. When I got up on the Damen el platform, I could not believe the crowd. It was downright Taste of Chicago-like. Great show.

Not_a_Bro
    Participant
    King Tubby
    Participant

Not_a_Bro’s definition nails it. To each their own, but as someone who rarely goes to street fests (Taste of Randolph was the other exception last summer, for Swervedriver, but the crowd for them was largely bro-free), it was shocking. I guess I tend to surround myself with oddballs and assorted weirdos, so being plunked down in the midst of so many “normals” was strange. The show was great, though, especially once I moved to the sidewalk on Lou’s side and people clipped the ties holding up the tarp along the fence so that the tarp fell down and everyone on the sidewalk could see the stage (there was never a problem hearing, though — it was LOUD). On reflection, I think about a full half of the set was different from the night before. The last time they had that much variation between sets on a two-night run I’ve seen was when they played Irving Plaza in Dec ’05.

Annastefka
    Participant

Wow, here a Bro is still a loving term…your bro is your bro man, he’s got your back just like a real brother. Those things you call bro we call “good ol’ boys”. Sometimes we say “wow, there were a lot of Brothers there”…that’s a different kind bro but still a loving term. Lord…you can see I posted at around 2:30 AM…I’ve been working as a doula and last night, I helped to deliver my first still born infant…I’m still not over the shock. The couple I worked with are friends of mine from Jamaica (so he’s not only a brother but also my bro) and the husband is a Capricorn…so down to Earth…Mama was completely lost in grief as she still had the hard work of labor to do, knowing she was giving birth to a lifeless child and Mr. Capricorn was like “it is what it is, mon”………I got to their house after mid-night to stay with sleeping older children and came to the internet because I couldn’t fall asleep…I kept it together while with her (lots of decisions had to be made, decisions we had NEVER entertained) and when I was alone and she was resting…I came here and saw that set list, that thing is larger than life…I mean, they’ve been big for a few years now but I think they’re growing. I just starting laughing which finally became crying. Turned off the computer and threw a sheet over my whole body, head and all, like I was dead because I have trouble falling asleep anywhere other than my own house. After an hour of so like that I finally fell into a deep sleep. Thank God for that set list, it gave me a much needed laugh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.