Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room Sound Like J?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    empire3

So I’ve got my Mascis Fender but now I need the pedals to make the noise!

Can someone help me out? I don’t know loads about pedals so if you could break it down to 2/3 I need and what to tap into eBay that would help a lot!

:D :D :D :D

tonas

There is a thread around here that discusses this very topic, J’s rig. Probably look in Guitar Room. But the first thing to know about J’s tone is old Big Muff pedals and Marshall plexi heads.

Yeah check this out

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10102

empire3

nice one tonas! :D

Yeah Right
    Participant

You might want to get the action ridiculously high too. Unless that’s the default for the J jazzy?

hune.prut
    Participant

As fare as I know it’s true that J used a Big Muff back in the days. – maybe still does.
    But according to the Seymour Duncan website he’s now using their Tweak Fuzz.
    (just got myself a Muff yesterday :D .. sounds great- and right)

Yeah Right
    Participant

I think J has a collection of Fuzzboxes and uses them variously. It’s all about BM for me, although I’ve yet to try out a Lovetone Big Cheese.

msb
    Participant

Thought I’d re-use this thread instead of making a new one.

So I was listening to the recording of the 10/08 show in DC (http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=465″>http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=465) and am absolutely loving the crunchy sustain of J’s "Plans" solo, starting at 5:37 in that mp3. Does anyone have any idea what he’s using to get that sound? It’s pretty different from a lot of his other solo effects.

tonas
    "msb" wrote:
    Thought I’d re-use this thread instead of making a new one.

So I was listening to the recording of the 10/08 show in DC (http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=465″>http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=465) and am absolutely loving the crunchy sustain of J’s "Plans" solo, starting at 5:37 in that mp3. Does anyone have any idea what he’s using to get that sound? It’s pretty different from a lot of his other solo effects.

Sounds like his fuzz to me, he may also be using his Germania pedal to give it a boost too. But thats sounds about it to me other than the delay at the end.

71Smallbox
    Participant

For a basic setup, get a Big Muff and a Wah pedal. That’ll get you 90% of the way there.

Dereck Johnsen
    Participant

Mhh, I got the J Mascis Jazzmaster too, A month later I buyght the Big Muff. those togetter on a good amp (I use a Fender Twin Reverb) sound like J. But you need to mix it, use a lot of diffrend distortion, over drive and fuzz pedals. Only the Big Muff is not enough!

Here some tips for the perfect J mascis sound:

1. Big Muff
    2. Digitech Grunge Pedal (I know it’s not what he’s using but it sounds like his sound)
    3. Boss DS-1 (Same story as the grunge pedal)
    4. A good Phaser! Example: Freakscene, in the chorus he uses a lot of phaser.
    5. Lots N’ Lots of Reverb. Buy a reverb amp or a good reverb rack thing. Or buy the Fender 63′, thats what J. uses.
    6. If you wanne do some awsome solo’s, you need a Looper. Maybe an Boss RC-2 or an Digitech Jam Man.

I think you can make it whit 3 or 4 pedals and a good amp.

Greets Dereck :alien:

YvesHertoghs
    Participant

All good replies , but from looking at Jay’s latest pedal board pics, he isn’t using too many distortion pedals, but rather overdrive pedals. And the trick is to play AT LEAST with two pedals at the same time, but with the gain NOT set to 10. I know this is a guitarist natural thing to do (dime all dials :P) but the secret to jay’s tone is multiple, subtle gain stages. In my set up I have a tubescreamer (which is on pretty much all of the time), followed by two fuzzes. The gain doesnt go past 4 on any of the pedals. But combining a tubescreamer with a big muff is pure tone heaven. My jay rhythm tone is the tubescreamer on 4 and the bigg muff on 1-2. In this way you can still play arpeggios and the likes. For lead i kick on a second fuzz-pedal, gain about 4-5. All of this into a very clean amp with lots of headroom.

Yves

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.