Home Forums Musicians & D.I.Y. Artists Guitar Room Sophie..and others

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Randy Jane
    Participant

I felt that I would end Malcoms torture of people putting the wrong things in his threads….. :roll:

Ok, as far as Gibsons being overrated….some are. Ive played a few Gibsons, and I’ll have to say…more than half of them blew. Shop around and try to find one you like, remember this one thing throughout your life: It doesnt matter what other people say about your gear. You CANT please everyone! Only shop around for what YOU want. If you buy a guitar because J Mascis has one and its his favorite guitar…..you might hate the thing. Brands are really for looks….go for something that is in your price range…feels good, and plays good….THEN you can think about looks. If you are going to go for an acoustic electric….that is great, Ive played some nice ones, (Ive been playing for almost ten years now…..I play EVERY guitar that I can get my hands on). Im not going to sit here and sell you on brands, Im just here to inform you of that one rule to remember. If you have ANY questions about gear….just ask, I or someone else on here will be glad to help you. Obviously, some brands ARE better than others…for instance, Fender and Gibson are better made than Audition, Harmony, and Silvertones. As much as I cant stand them, Ibanez’s are alright….it doesnt matter what brand it is….in there own way…all guitars are good. As for getting a cheap guitar, then working your way up…..I would have to say, no. Again, get what YOU want…..if that means you have to save up for years to afford the K.B. Pro Pinnaka 441 (24K Gold guitar with emeralds, rubies, diamond inlays and wireless electronics….all for $138,943.38)….if you can find one, (they made 8) go for it. Or if its the pawn shop special, (Silvertone….thing….with an amp in the case for about $100) go for it. But taking tips and stuff probably isnt a bad idea, like…Martin guitars, at first are pretty hard to play because the action is set really high, as are Fender Mustangs/Jags/jazzys etc. Where as a Gibson Les Paul is really easy to play because of super low action and a decently fast neck.

I hope this will help you in your quest for the right guitar.

Randy Jane.

SG
    Participant

Good to hear from you RJ,hope you`re having fun in Cali :mrgreen: :aliensmile:

AGAP
    Participant

VERY cool to hear form you RJ, hope things are going well in your new place!!!

Appreciate the help in a big way, gotta love that :wink:

Allison :aliensmile:

*sophie*
    Participant

in one hand i am flattered to get a thread with my name….
    in an other hand i feel confused to be the messing element :roll:

anyway, thanks for your advice… :D

malcom
    Participant

RJ, you rock, how’s the band doing?

Sophie, I have two tips:
    1) Conscript your cousin into helping you find a USED guitar. Used guitars are better.
    2) The feel of the neck is the most important part of an axe, I’m dead serious.

Malcom, You are a whiney lttle bitch!

*sophie*
    Participant

ha ! that’s better this way !
    unfortunately my beloved cousin lives at 1000 km from me :(

but thanks for the neck advice ! :wink:

simmons
    Participant

I´ve played since I was a kid. I am now 21. I don`t consider myself as a kid on guitar anymore. I have played different guitars. gibson sg, strat, mustang, jazzmaster and ibanez guitars like js1000 and older ones with very thin neck.

I feel how different guitars can be from eachother. I am not thinking about sound but playability. I feel a MUSTANG is very easy to play after having played jazzmaster for a while. But I mean, I don´t play better just because I feel the guitar is easier to play. you still have to be well trained to get the rhytm right. I have practised quite much on up and down picking. it´s very good practising if you want to be more rhytmic in your playing style. try some pantera or old metallica or maiden. pick up and down. don`t pick the same way in a row. when practising like that alot, everything will be easier to play…. :D

Randy Jane
    Participant

Hi all……I havent got around to telling everyone yet…but CA didnt really work out……SO Im back in the hills of TN……and GLAD to be. CA wasnt very great really…..not Sacramento anywho.

Simmons……have you noticed, that after playing a mustang and Martins and Jazzmasters…….the first time you try to play an Ibanez or something….its kind of harder? It is for me anyways….because the difference in actions and the necks. I get used to playing harder with old Fenders, then pick up someones Ibanez and start screwing up, its funny. My friend and I always reffer to Ibanez as Ibeenhad….although, I can say the DX350 or whatever (the white one…only comes in white) and the Jem…I would own those. A blue floral Jem….with a rosewood fingerboard though.

Sophie….sorry about the confusion. I was just trying to help you mentaly…kind of. Like Malcom said….used is the best way to go. Older guitars usualy sound better because of different electronics. But, as Simmons said, sound is not important when you’re starting out….(it sure sounds great, but I cant play it)…playability is the key here for now. The best advise that I can give you for now is just…look around the guitar shop/s where you are…..play as many guitars as you can, (yes…even though you may not be good yet) if you only know two chords, play those two chords on all the guitars….pick out the one you liked the best and try to get that one.

One more thing….I brought back a girl with me…..my, fiance I guess you would call her. While in Cali…we shaved our heads together….odd? yeah, but cool….its hair…it grows back..its like an inch and a half long now, a far cry from past my boobs like it was…but hey.

Randy Jane.

Randy Jane
    Participant

My girlfriends name is Heidi Norling….she rocks!
    Plays geetar and piano.

If anyone wonders, the guy playing guitar (my avatar) is me covering Out There before the hair cut.

RJ.

malcom
    Participant

Cool for you man, this is coming from the man who wrote "I guess I’ll just give up" less than a year ago. But lets hope that your love of Kurt doesn’ extend to your taste in women ;)

Seriously though, congrats on finding a girlie for yourself, at least you know she’s into you, she did leave cali for Tn, that says a lot right theres.

I’d like to see some skinhead photo’s, you had reeely long hair last time I checked. . .

On guitars:
    It seems that the biggest difference you guys are talking about (Inadvertently) is SCALE. A guitars scale is the distance between the bridge and the nut (that little plastic or brass thingy at the end of the fingerboard). Fenders (and Ibanez) ususally have about a 25.5" scale, gibsons a 24.5 scale. mustangs and Jaguars have a ridiculous 24" scale. That half inch really matters in terms of string tension, tone, and "feel"

SG
    Participant

RJ-too bad things did`nt work out in Cali :( but at least a relationship came out of it :D hope everything keeps going cool for you 8) both shaved your head? :shock: reminds me of a Unrest song-Yes She Is My Skinhead Girl :wink:

ps-I hope we`re all invited to the wedding :wink: :P

malcom
    Participant

My instinct was to think of the That Dog song "Grunge Couple," but I decided that was too mean.

"I like you (I like you)
    You are cute (you are cute)
    In your flannel shirt and your
    hiking boots

I like you (I like you)
    You look fine (no you look fine)
    Lets get together have a
    real good tiiiimmmme!

We love each other thats a fact
    we have tatoos, nose rings that match
    we go to movies and play groups
    we do whatever’s really cool

naw, that doesn’t really work does it. :oops:

Randy Jane
    Participant

Yeah…of course…whenever this here wedding shindig is….everyone from the boards who can make it is welcome to show up.

Im still computer stupid….I dont know how to get pics on this board.

I want a purple Jaguar with a tortoise pickgaurd dernit…or that custom color of light blue they made for a while (no, not daphne or sonic) with a white pg. with matching headstocks dernit! DERNIT DERNIT!!!

RJ

malcom
    Participant

White Pickguards are Icky

I saw a Jazzmaster at GC around here-natural ash with toritise pickguard. mmmmm. . .Jazzmaster-y

simmons
    Participant

there are two very cool jaguars on ebay these days. Blue body and headstock…very cool.But too expensive…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.