Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Sonic Youth Please Break Up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

A negative review of Murray Street:

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0228/phillips2.php

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Oh let’s not all be emo over it. He’s entitled to his own opinion. I think Weezer should’ve broken up like 5 years ago because they haven’t put out anything decent since then. Others disagree. Such is life.

squeapler
    Participant

I personally got bored with SY sometime after the Teenage Riot era, but a lot of other people were just discovering them and getting excited by them at the same point I was nodding off. Seems like bands go through different stages and fanbases ebb and flow as the fans get older or the band gets into something else. If I had my druthers no band would stay together longer than 5 years because I find them almost universally boring past that point. But many others would disagree with me.

to me the longevity of SY isn’t so much about their great musical talent – sure they have some but so do a lot of other people – as it is about their ability to survive as an entity, game the system, exploit their contacts, market themselves and still somehow be regarded as "alternative" even though to me they’ve been commercial since about the time of "The Year PUnk Broke". They’re getting to be like some punk version of Jefferson Airplane/Starship for my money. yawn

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

</font><blockquote><font>quote:</font><hr><font>Originally posted by squeapler:
    <strong>

to me the longevity of SY isn’t so much about their great musical talent – sure they have some but so do a lot of other people – as it is about their ability to survive as an entity, game the system, exploit their contacts, market themselves and still somehow be regarded as "alternative" even though to me they’ve been commercial since about the time of "The Year PUnk Broke". They’re getting to be like some punk version of Jefferson Airplane/Starship for my money. yawn</strong></font><hr></blockquote><font>That was massively insightful. But this is Sonic Youth we’re talking about. Prepare to be flamed!

SG
    Participant

I appreciate your opinion Squeapler,here`s my take on SY;I agree on the commercial deal to some extent but I don`t think they tried to write hit songs,Dirty is as close as commercial as they got,at times they can be poppy just as much as experimental.

ScreamingTree
    Participant

I’m not getting emo here, just saying that it’s blatantly obvious that Sonic Youth can do no wrong, and it’s the review makes it seem like they exist for that person’s amusement, when in reality they do it for themselves.

buckingham rabbit
    Participant

but how ’bout them go-betweens!!

ScreamingTree
    Participant

I hate people who review albums and happen to be dumb.

georgeev1
    Participant

sonic youth’s music will last forever and i think they just keep getting better and better. They are such good musicians they create timeless music just like j mascis.

squeapler
    Participant

hehe, I always wear asbestos underwear, Jaron!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.