Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Some more stupid questions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

malcom
    Participant

I’m thinkin’ about getting a Laptop compooter, so’s I can have my OWN computer to use. So I’m probably going to be asking a lot of questions around here pretty soon. My big question right now is: How would a modom work with a laptop? Are there any services that would let me plug in to any phone Jack in the world and go online?

And: what companies are to be avoided. I know Gateway has a bad rep, any others?

expect nothing
    Participant

I got one not so long ago and its been reaaally useful, and a lot easier to get used to than i thought. Mine has an inbulit 56k modem, and most i looked at had the same. My model is a Sharp and ive had no problems – apart from one or two dead fucking pixels which i was pissed off with – until i realized they were comman and couldnt be fixed. :evil:
    But overal its been a good choice :D
    p.s – don’t expect much from the inbuilt speakers there not so goood :lol:

Anthony
    Participant

i have a gateway solo 2500 (circa 1997?) PII 400 mhz, 256 RAM, 20 Gig HDD, 13.3 inch screen, DVD-CDRW, wireless lan, w2k pro / redhat 8 and it totally is the cooooolest. it is small, but the only thing is it weighs like 7 pounds.

…any isp you get with a 1-800 number you can access from anywhere i guess.

avoid aol and msn.

malcom
    Participant
    Quote:
    avoid aol and msn.

already knew that.

My two big uses for computers are (A) typing and (B) the internet, so obviously those are the big concerns. I’m also hoping to get a decent soundcard/interface for it (which’ll be external) sos I can record on my computer. I guess my "internet question" was along the lines of "Are there any special rates for having a mobile internet computer esp. if I’d like to avoid dialup (what I have at home right now, it sucks)?

Anthony
    Participant

get some kind of broadband service.

and a wireless router :)

i can take my laptop out side and shit and still browse the net with no wires.

expect nothing
    Participant

I’ve found that cats seem to have a strange attraction to laptops, my cat tries to sleep on mine … [img]http://members.aol.com/marigoldmoocow/pictures/laptop[/img]

malcom
    Participant
    Quote:
    get some kind of broadband service.

and a wireless router

Isn’t that mega mega expensive? I AM still a poor college student.

And Expet Nothin’, I love that website! I didn’t know anybody else was using SubBlack.

Carl.
    Participant

broadband services is about 50 bucks a month, dial up, about 25..

If you wanted to shared broadband service with roomates, the price of a Wireless DSL/Cable modem router is about equal to that of a Wired one. And the price of the cards is about the same… of course, most laptops now come with integrated LAN and Modems on them, so the Wireless PC Card would be an added expense you may not want to incur..

Also, for Wireless routers, please make sure they are secured. People have been known to drive around looking for "hot spots" to disseminate SPAM. And then your ISP blames you.

If you have a budget, maybe the good folks here can guide you in the right direction as to what laptop you should look at. Stay away from Gateway, since they are not long for this world, IMO.

As for the "special rates for mobile internet rates", I have yet to see any. Of course, with a Wireless PC Card (802.11b), you can be the one cruising around looking for hot spots. I know that Starbucks offer a fee based serivce to get on the internet from their shops that have 802.11b WAP’s.

Carl.

Carl.
    Participant

hey Expect Nothing, maybe it is not the laptop, but the Athlon XP 1900+ you have in that thing!!!

Break the Intel dominance!!!!

:slap:
    AMD – Intel

yeah, I know… It will never happen, but we can hope.. I love AMD

Carl.

expect nothing
    Participant

yeah possibly :aliensmile: – i’ll ask about the AMD attraction next time were having a chat :D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.