Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Sleater Kinney

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

SG
    Participant

I guess I should have mentioned where to find any SK mp3`s;Killrockstars.com,Matadoreurope.com,epitonic.com,and fastmusic.com have some.
    For live stuff mp3.palukaville.net have an entire concert,the sound is`nt too good but at Sleater Kinney.org have some better sounding live material.
    By all means buy their albums;Sleater Kinney,Call The Doctor,Dig Me Out,The Hot Rock,and All Hands On The Bad One.
    I`ll suggest to you to buy Dig Me Out or Call The Doctor first.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

I have all three albums released on the "Kill Rock Stars" label and ‘Call The Doctor.’

I’d like them more if they were guys cause, uh, girls can’t play rock and roll or something. [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Jaron-did you buy those albums recently because I mentioned them just last week and you said nothing about them;I guess though we don`t always talk about all the bands we listen to here,but I guess it`s surprising when someone mentions something you did`nt know they liked;I like tons of bands so I don`t always mention them unless someone here talks about them.
    Women can so play rock and roll,Sleater proves that as well as many other bands,such as the Raincoats.

I first got into SK around April 1997,I had a cold and was up late listening to the radio and the show I was listening to was doing a profile on them,they played their previous bands;Heavens To Betsy and Excuse 17;I heard H2B before,one song I heard a few years earlier was good;anyway I loved the profile and went out and try to find one of their albums,there was none around until a months later when Dig Me Out popped up,bought it and with listening to the songs realized it was the best album of the year.
    Bought the other albums the next year when they came available.
    I agree with Halfman that SK has the emotional aspect that J has in his music,always a good quality in music;I think of SK of being like a female Husker Du,Corin is kind of like Bob Mould;singing with all the passion and guts,communicating to the nth degree of what she is feeling.
    It seems when J can`t say what he`s feeling with his voice he lets his guitar do the talking.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salamiguy:
    <STRONG>Jaron-did you buy those albums recently because I mentioned them just last week and you said nothing about them;I guess though we don`t always talk about all the bands we listen to here,but I guess it`s surprising when someone mentions something you did`nt know they liked;I like tons of bands so I don`t always mention them unless someone here talks about them.
    Women can so play rock and roll,Sleater proves that as well as many other bands,such as the Raincoats.

</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah… I got my first SK album like 2 years ago. Had I seen you mention them [I don’t record and respond to every post [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]], I might’ve said something. I agree SK is an emotional band but I don’t put them on the same level as J.

I agree with the guitar doing the talking part of your speech.

Halfman
    Participant

Big ups to Salamiguy and ELJ for kicking out this thread [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] . I heard them about two years ago after catching some good reviews in print. A local college station here played "lLittle Babies" and I was amazed at how fresh they sounded, yet one can tell they have a hardcore foundation folks like us can go nuts over. I only have The Hot Rock now, but soon thatt hopes to change. I have heard Corin just had a baby in wnter or spring and have not checked their site in a bit. Apparently side projects are happening, though

<FONT>[ August 16, 2001 12:14 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by Halfman ]</font>

SG
    Participant

Corin had her baby last March,named Marshall.
    Corin`s side project is Cadallaca;Carrie `s is The Spells;Janet also plays in Quasi.

SG
    Participant

Who here likes Sleater Kinney?
    myself,Jaron,and Halfman likes them,who else?

Jaron-what songs or albums have you heard by them?My favs albums are Dig Me Out and Call The Doctor,the other albums are very close behind though.
    Their album from last year,All Hands On The Bad One; was my fav album of 2000.

Halfman
    Participant

Salamiguy,
    Thanks for the Dresch info. Funny, one of the first magazine articles I read on SK long before I heard their music mentioned they were a "lesbian" group. Knowing that Dresch provided the label for the early records makes sense. What threw me though was Corin having a baby. I guess the news article, which I think was from either SPIN or AP, was not totally correct, or incorrect not in just content, but for delving too deep into their personal lives. Heck, I could be just as bad for getting too caught up in it…… [img]images/smiles/converted/dizzy.gif[/img]

I think I will get off the rollercoaster now.

SG
    Participant

Glad to fill you in on the Dresch connection;too bad she did`nt stay with J,I love to hear female backing vocals with J,like on Without A Sound when Come`s Thalia Zedek sang back up on 3 tunes.
    I guess I should add some more info on SK`s side projects;The Spells that Carrie plays in includes former Helium leader Mary Timony.Quasi,the band that Janet is in is with her husband Sam Coomes;who guests on keyboards sometimes with Built To Spill.Corin`s other band includes Sarah Dougher who also does solo albums.

The mp3 and video help I would like to help you with but I`m not a computer expert.I only know my way around my computer,if you have a different kind which you problably do,I`m not the one to ask.There are people here on this site that can help,ask a question in the tech help section here and someone here should respond and help you out.I try to help out with what I can but I`m still an amateur at computers.
    I can help you out on music questions though,in punk/indie,jazz and blues are my strong points;classical,folk,country I know some info but I`m not as well schooled in it.
    Just post your questions in open topic and I`ll respond when I can.

Halfman
    Participant

I too like Thalia’s backups on Without a Sound. She and J mixed well together. I am trying to picture Corin and J together on a song and it is blowing my mind with what could be [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm12.gif[/img]!!!!! Thanks for your reply on the video/mp3 thing. I was being lazy really. I can prob con one of the university tech workers in the library to lock me on if I am kind or something….. still trying….. [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Trivia:
    Who is Corin Tucker married to?

Halfman
    Participant

I know I know! Lester Bangs, great rock critic…..
    Oh, you mean the right answer without obligatory confusion. Ok. Try Lance Bangs, director of videos for punk rock Huzza boys Green Day and soon to be Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Moby.

For you Salamiguy (and any others), what one person ties Dinosaur Jr., Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, and Sleater-Kinney together? There might be more than one answer here, but only one that I can think of…….

<FONT>[ October 24, 2001 09:54 PM: 2 Half-Man ]</font>

SG
    Participant

Yeah,it`s Lance Bangs,video director.

Good question Halfman,my guess would be Calvin Johnson but I can`t think of a Dino connection with him so I`ll have to think more on it.

Halfman
    Participant

Salami,
    Phil Ek has co-engineered More Light, produced on Built to Spill’s Ancient Melodies of the Future and Modest Mouse’s The Moon and Antarctica. Sam Coomes, who is married to Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney plays occasional keyboards with Built to Spill so I think that completes the circle, with Ek holding it together.
    Questions though:
    Did Ek produce or engineer any of the SK albums and did Coomes appear on any Modest Mouse releases?

SG
    Participant

I forgot about Ek on More Light,I was thinking it was J and Shields did that.
    I thought up another connection with those bands-Up Records,BTS and MM recorded for Up,Quasi,with Janet from SK did as well,and Mike Johnson,ex Dino bassist recorded for Up as well.
    Ek as far as know did`nt work with SK,Coomes with the Mouse as far as know has`nt happened either,he did as you mentioned play with BTS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.