Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Similar bands!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Randy Jane
    Participant

Hey Nige, try the get discovered room. Theres some great stuff on there. Im very close to being able to post my stuff on there too! Flipper is always a great band as well.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Modest Mouse, Ramones, Man Or Astroman, Malkmus/Pavement

It all goes back to Velvet Underground anyway…

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

I didn’t think "Candy Apple Grey" was a classic when it came out, still don’t think it is… "New day rising" was their classic in my humble opinion, CAG started great, but after "Hardly getting over it", the album just plodded on and on… I was glad that they returned to great form with "Warehouse Songs and Stories" !

humble joe
    Participant

Ok ok I’m sorry Candy Apple Grey isn’t that bad I guess. I just thought it was so hideously 80s and tame even but I realise there are some great songs. I heard Green Day do a cover of ‘….lonely’ which kicked ass. ‘All this…’ is on my computer now, pretty cool.

Moving on…
    Is Stereopathetic Soulmanure by Beck a good album? Is he too mainstream for here?

SG
    Participant

With ELJ here,nothing is too mainstream for this site.
    We talk about Beck sometimes here,my fav tune by him is from Stereopathic,"Satan Gave Me A Taco".

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Nige,

Glad you gave those songs a second listen, very cool tunes. Have you ever checked out Sugar, Bob Mould from Husker Du on guitar/vocals…pretty cool sounds. They have some videos up on launch.com…Tilted and Gee Angel are my current fav’s.

Agree with Elj you should definitely check out Modest Mouse…amazing!!!

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/aliensmile.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Yeah,Sugar are great.I once gave my cousin Copper Blue to listen to.His fav tune was "Man On The Moon".
    He once told me his dad liked "old alternative bands" so I asked him who.
    "Kiss and Van Halen".

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salamiguy:
    <STRONG>With ELJ here,nothing is too mainstream for this site.
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

SG
    Participant

Sorry Jaron I`m just being cranky.
    You`ve been open minded enough to listen to non mainstream bands,that`s cool.If people want to talk mainstream on this it`s ok.
    By the way,I was going though the launch site and saw some videos that might intrest you:
    Bif Naked-Daddy`s getting married-a rip off of the pumpkins`s"Today"
    Drugstore-El President-Thom Yorke sings on it.
    Shonen Knife-Daydream Believer-yep,a Monkees cover.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salamiguy:
    <STRONG>
    Bif Naked-Daddy`s getting married-a rip off of the pumpkins`s"Today"
    Drugstore-El President-Thom Yorke sings on it.
    Shonen Knife-Daydream Believer-yep,a Monkees cover.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bif NAked – I don’t hear the similarities, although you aren’t the first to say something about it.
    Drugstore – thanks for the find.
    S. Knife – someone else just did a cover of "I’m A Believer" … Sugar Ray or Smash Mouth or something else that starts with an "S."

humble joe
    Participant

Picked up Mellow Gold yesterday as it was really cheap on sale and someone had mentioned it earlier. I was thinking, earlier I queried whether he was too mainstream but this record has some of the most insane music I’ve ever heard. It’s pretty good.

And I think at the time he was a true lo-fi kid so its cool.

Better than Husker Du! [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

Hey Nige -if you liked Mellow Gold you should check out some of his(Beck) more indie releases. Such as A Western Harvest Field By Moonlight, One Foot In The Grave…the list goes on and on. I’m not sure whether you could call Beck mainstream or not -since he’s forever changing directions…

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert:
    <STRONG>Hey Nige -if you liked Mellow Gold you should check out some of his(Beck) more indie releases. Such as A Western Harvest Field By Moonlight, One Foot In The Grave…the list goes on and on. I’m not sure whether you could call Beck mainstream or not -since he’s forever changing directions…</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Beck is or ever was mainstream, give him 5 minutes and either what is mainstream will change or he will.

Mutations was his best, IMHO.

enryo
    Participant

hey nige,

I would suggest at some point definitely checking out, polvo-celebrate the new dark age, and helium-dirt of luck. Also here are a few northwest bands i like, but some may be hard to come accross, lync, 764-HERO, mars accelerator, the spinanes, love as laughter, welcome, death cab for cutie, unwound.

SG
    Participant

The Spinanes ruled!one of my fav bands,check out their videos at launch.com
    Their drummer Scott Plouf now plays with Built To Spill,Rebbeca Gates has a new solo album out.
    Polvo and Helium are great,for Polvo I would pick Today`s Active Lifestyles,it`s pretty screwy but cool.For Helium I agree on the Dirt Of Luck is a good one to check out,there` s a video for Superball from that album at launch.com
    Other northwest bands to check out:Hazel,Bikini Kill,Sleater Kinney,you can check out mp3`s of these bands at killrockstars.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.