Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions "Shoving back and forth thing" – Thurston on Middle East DVD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hansjoakim
    Participant

Hi all,

During the interview footage on Dino Jr. Live in the Middle East, Thurston speaks about a concert where J and Lou got into what sounds like a fight on stage. J was trying to play the song while Lou was sitting on his amp, plucking a string on his bass. Apparently, it all ended up in a "shoving back and forth thing", in the words of Thurston. I think I’ve heard or read about this incident somewhere… perhaps it’s in Azerrad’s book? I’ll have a look at the library next week.

Well, Thurston mentions that there is some footage of the episode, or some recording of it. He also says that the audio assault from bashed guitars cranked through the amps sounded really cool :wink: Does anyone know if any recording was made, and if it’s on e.g. freesofree? I’m guessing it’s an 89 show?

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

There is a clip in the Sonic youth video for "Teenage Riot" but it is so fast you don’t want to blink or you will miss it.
    I have not seen the whole show but know it exists because of that!

Yeah Right
    Participant

I think I have a copy of Mojo from 2005 which has an article about this. It was something like Lou was playing a line of constant feedback through a song, and I think Murph was going to hit Lou or something, Then J decided that it was his place, swung his guitar at Lou who blocked it with his, then stormed offstage. Then Murph jumped up and shouted "Yes!" like there was finally a reaction from one of them.

I’m not certain it’s the same thing.. If I get the time I’ll transcribe the article and post it. The article may or may not have included a photograph of the thing. I think it was in Naugatuck and I’m pretty sure it’s mentioned is "Our Band…"

hansjoakim
    Participant

Thanks, guys!

I don’t think I’ve noticed that during Teenage Riot, Jeremiah… I’ll have to look at it again! And yeah, proof positive that it exists :)

I just read the noripchord interview that trensidoh posted:

Quote:
    I don’t need to ask about The Freed Pig or request a recanting of the tale about Mascis hitting Lou in the head with his guitar onstage in Connecticut 20 years ago.

Perhaps that’s the same gig? Well, there could be more bashes that we don’t know about :wink:

It would be cool to even just hear an audio recording of the thing. The feedback screaming…

@ Yeah Right: I’m pretty sure I’ve read about it somewhere else, so I’d bet it’s in Azerrad’s book. If you find the time (and think the Mojo story is interesting), it would be awesome to read it!

trensidoh
    Participant
    "hansjoakim" wrote:
    It would be cool to even just hear an audio recording of the thing. The feedback screaming…

It’s up on freesofree, although not the full show (missing Sludgefeast & Minor Threat). The tune is Track 07 (Severed Lips) and Track 08 is the post-song-chaos. It’s Lou yelling "Yeah !", not Murph btw….

An alternate source (complete and much better quality) surfaced in the collector’s network last year….

http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=70″>http://www.freesofree.net/albumdetail.php?AlbumID=70

hansjoakim
    Participant

wow… thanks, trensidoh :D

hansjoakim
    Participant

@Yeah Right: I think I found the Mojo article you mentioned here.

Yeah Right
    Participant

Yeah that’s the thing :) I thought it was Murph for years. Makes more sense now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.