Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    empire3

Looks like all the Warner albums are getting the mini vinyl / SHM-CD treatment !

@mind_glow
    called this months ago……..
    They are on Amazon Japan and now some on eBay ….(Green MindWYB/WAS/HIO)

Looking forward to getting a where you been, purely for the superior sound !

19th December

– sorry if this is a repost .

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

for $219 you can get all four in a Green Mind box

DINOSAUR JR – SHM-CD mini lp cds $219.95
    4 titles + PROMO BOX (Green Mind BOX)
    titles: Green Mind, Where You Been, Without A Sound, Hand It Over

http://www.artist-shop.com/catalog/imports/japanese.htm

Obseqio
    Participant

Interesting. My copy of remastered Green Mind plays like crap on my computer and through my iphone. Does anyone else have that problem or a remedy? I read that this is a problem for certain Warner Bros. Cd’s

empire3

That’s quite expensive !?

My old boss is head of catalogue at Warner music, he might be covering his tracks 🙂 but he’s unaware of any problems with their catalogue…

If one already owned a copy, I would say its fair enough to DL a freebie that has not been compressed to crap ! My copy is fine.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

my copy seems fine too – I only cracked it open to rip it then put it on the shelf where it is sitting now

King Tubby
    Participant

I think the SHM-CD format is classic snake oil. The laser in your cd player reads the 0s and 1s the same way regardless of the quality of the clear plastic coating on the cd.

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

that was actually my next question – what is the deal with the SHM-CD format….
    So it really is just the clear plastic coating? weak 🙁

The re-packaging is neat but that is a big premium to purchase as an import for just that

empire3

Ok not looking forward to the superior sound quality now 🙂

However I did have a DVDA version of automatic for the people and that I can honestly say was amazing through 5.1.

I was hoping the SHM-CD’s were the same :(…… Shame the DVDA was short lived …..

empire3
    jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster

I’ve been waiting to see decent pics of the artwork and such. I’m not shelling out for it either.
    A box set would be great, especially if there was at least a bonus disc of unreleased recordings

Obseqio
    Participant

Oh, Without a Sound and Hand it Over Remastered! Hopefully we get an American Release! (Or did I miss them?)

Hybridge
    Participant

Too spendy for me.

Do the Japanese SHM-CDs consist of only a clear coating, or are they actually recorded differently?

Re. premium CDs, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab’s Ultradisc cd releases didn’t use any dynamic range compression or equalization. MFSL made direct transfers from the original master recording to CD and the discs had a supposedly more reflective gold plated surface. For what it’s worth, the few MFSL CDs I’ve heard sounded pretty great.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.