Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic setting home page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

Hey guys and gals…

I normally use YAHOO.com as my default homepage…

While surfing around this morning I caught a site that proceeded to bounce me around and around and around, opening up countless webpages as I repeatedly shut them down. The problem is that this site

[here was a hyperlink](which I suggest you don’t go to)

has set itself as my default homepage when I open up Windows Explorer.

Using tools>internet options>general tab, I can reset my homepage back to yahoo.com.

Here’s the problem, the apply doesn’t stick. Once I shut down my browser and reopen it, the [hyperlink] reinstalls itself as my default homepage.

How do I get rid of this page, or find the file that has installed itself which causes my browser to keep defaulting to this page?

Thanx and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

That’s a nice start of the New Year…. :? :slap:

Found this quite technical story, it seems to offer a solution to your problem! Good luck with it! :D

ps. I didn’t try it myself, and stayed wide away from that url you mentioned….. :wink: :P

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

thanx buck den! My Ad Aware definitons were out of date but even the newest version didn’t find this particular component. Luckily one of the other Spyware Destroyers worked so everything is better now! :mrgreen:

Can someone please turn off the hyperlink that was created when I put in the page address? I’d edit it out, but the code doesn’t show up in the edit section, so I can’t show the address without making it a hotlink. Just trying to save everyone the trouble I went through :aliensmile:

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "K7" wrote:
    Can someone please turn off the hyperlink that was created when I put in the page address? I’d edit it out, but the code doesn’t show up in the edit section, so I can’t show the address without making it a hotlink. Just trying to save everyone the trouble I went through :aliensmile:

Strange that you couldn’t edit it yourself :roll: , but: …done… :D :wink:

K7 Rides Again
    Participant
    "dB stands for den Buck" wrote:
    Strange that you couldn’t edit it yourself :roll: , but: …done… :D :wink:

Well, of course I could have just edited out the Hypelink!

What I meant to say was, leave the address of the site, but turn off it’s ability to be a hyperlink thorugh the BBS. That way, anyone else reading this post could know what the site is we’re talking about, without accidently clicking on the link and getting stuck in the same mess I was in. Did what I said just make sense? :?

When you add a hyperlink in the reply box, you can use the URL code to make the sentence link to a different webpage. So if you want to turn a link off, all you have to do is turn off the URL code. I’m under the impression, that any time you type a URL, the BBS automatically makes it a hyperlink, but if you go to edit the post, you can’t change the code (or maybe I just don’t know how) to make the URL link inactive. Did this make sense, cause this is what I was trying to say :?

Usually, my fingers can’t keep up with my mind :aliensmile:

Bucky Ramone
    Participant
    "K7" wrote:
    Did what I said just make sense? :?

……..

Did this make sense, cause this is what I was trying to say :?

Usually, my fingers can’t keep up with my mind :aliensmile:

a double yes :D !

The adress of the offending url can be found (if people are interested) on the page with the possible solution…..

Let’s see what happens if I type an url (without the [url] codes):

http://www.freakscene.net

….yes, it turns into an url….. 8)

K7 Rides Again
    Participant

now what I want to know is…

Can you turn off the hyperlink so that when you typed

www .freakscene.net

it would just be the URL wothout the hyperlink capability?

I don’t think you can edit out the code that makes it a hyperlink from the edit page. Can it be done if you’re "licensed to confuse"?

That’s what I’m really getting at here. Is it possible to type in URL’s without making it a hyperlink and if so, how does one go about turning off the code that makes it hyperlink, or does one have to be a mod. to do such things?

Bucky Ramone
    Participant

Edited your latest post, it isn’t a hyperlink anymore, but I’ve done it in a rather crude way, I can’t ‘turn off’ the hyperlink capabilities when a valid URL is entered in this editor, maybe someone with ‘higher powers’ can edit the next URL/hyperlink :?: :wink:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311061838193303&sql=Arguk6j3371q0″>http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am … uk6j3371q0

Anthony
    Participant

freakscene.net

jeremiah
    Keymaster

just like anthony posted :)

allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS80311061838193303&sql=Arguk6j3371q0

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.