Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Annastefka
    Participant

Some things really surprised me…the crowd was sort of thin but very, very enthusiastic and I have never been with a nicer group of people at the 40 Watt….I’m not kidding. I spoke with several of them and found out that there is an awfully cool group of college kids who are doing some very unusual and revolutionary (not talking occupy wall street here) things. This was a different breed of people. No one was going to be stepping on your feet or throwing up next to you…but the biggest surprise of the night came when, Well, I’ll have to take it back to a week or so before the show, several of the teenagers that I have mentioned here, asked me about going. It’s damn near impossible to get into that club when you are underage. Like most old timers around here I have some good 40 watt connections and I’ve tried more than once to get some youngsters into shows. I’ve promised that I would be the best guardian and that these are stellar kids who are interested in music..not drinking or drugs and the answer is always..”it’s just can’t happen, then everyone is going to want the same privileged and then it’s just a matter of time before something goes wrong “…two of the teens, both great musicians told me they really wanted to go to this show…and I was surprised that they even knew of Sebadoh. One of them is the young kid I mentioned here on FS awhile back when he had a problem with his guitar and I convinced him to try and fix it himself. I told them there is NO WAY I can get you into that show…no matter how many phone calls I make. Well, long story even longer…I got to the club at 10pm and within seconds boom, boom, boom…I’m greeted by not one, not two, not even three but MORE of them. I was like WTF….there are a handful of young kids (still in high school) who are making incredible music in this town…I’m not talking, you know…shit noise that some teens who call themselves musicians make. Real good MUSIC and almost every one of them (that I know) was there to see Sebadoh. I turned to the first one and said…too loudly I’m sure because the opening band was playing….how did you get in here?…and he was like…shut the f*ck up… and then whispered “inside job”.

When J played solo at the Melting Point (all ages show of sorts) I gathered as many of those guys together and said “you need to go and see this”…and I had a few that just flat out told me..”I’m not interested” (a few went with me but more told me..”I’m not going to like it”)….but they all seemed to be there for Sebadoh..en mass.

It seems as if Sebadoh if the F*CKING inspiration for a whole bunch of younger musicians. WHO KNEW?

One of the kids has a dad who is a musician and is out of town a lot and his Mom is working in Florida for a few weeks..he is 17 and was at the show…his Mom (a good friend) called me yesterday and wondered how things were going with her son (he’s best friends with my oldest daughter and they share a few classes). All I know is that we all walked out of the 40 watt late, he was at school the next day on time…and even though I’m a Gemini, I didn’t say a word that I had seen him there. He’s a Scorpio so he’s going to be pretty proud that I didn’t spill the beans. Now if I had seen him getting into trouble I would have spoken up.

Artemide
    Participant

well, very special review, Anna my dear.
    but the show?

your faithfull gemini A.
    🙂

Annastefka
    Participant

Wow, I know I told Tony that I would put a photo of the Sun up here and I haven’t, I did try but it wont upload…and I know I said I was going to write up my own little review of the Dinosaur Jr Bug show from Atlanta and I haven’t…but I did sort of say the recording spoke for itself so yikes, Sweet A, Thursdays and Fridays are the busiest days of the week for me and so I don’t have time right now to think about that show because it is surely going to take some thinking mixed with a tempering of words.

I really will try…..when I’m finished working for the day…I promise I will come here and write about the music…I saw that show with fresh eyes I think, because I had no idea what I was walking into. I’ve had the opportunity to do that more lately, that is go to a show in which I know nothing about the music or the musicians. It’s kind of a cool way to see music..you come in with no preconceived ideas. Sort of an okay, lets see what cha got. Works for me.

Your faithful Gemini friend..S. (Awwwww)

Annastefka
    Participant

Came to Southern Shelter to listen again to the Sebadoh show. I didn’t know the names of the songs so this was a way for me to familiarize myself with what I had heard again. I needed a second listen. It should be mentioned, if you don’t already know, that Sebadoh was chosen by Jeff Mangnum for his All Tomorrows Parties thing….Jeff’s a smart guy….that said….I’m still trying to put my finger on a few things. Link for the show below.

http://southernshelter.com/2011/11/out-of-towners-sebadoh-40-watt-club-11711/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.