Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Salami`s cool music picks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Speaking of music most haven’t heard of before, there’s this band from Anchorage Alaska named Railer who’s darn good.

Check em out at: http://www.mp3.com/railer

[Please note, I am in no way affiliated with the band.]

SG
    Participant

Just checked Railer,sounds like my cousins band,not a good thing.
    Thanks for mentioning it,Jaron.Someone else might like it.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by salamiguy:
    <STRONG>Just checked Railer,sounds like my cousins band,not a good thing.
    </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL… I’m sure your cousin’s loving that…

SG
    Participant

I thought I`d mention some cool music that you might not of heard of before:
    Meredith Monk-She was born in Peru but I think she`s american,I don`t know what to call her music,alot of vocals and cool instrumentation.She`s not jazz or classical but something in between.One album to check out is"Turtle Dreams" from 1983;it`s perfect for halloween!or any occult event.the title track is 20 min long,it has several organs going on with strange chantings,sounds kind of like opera on acid.
    Raymond Scott-30`s jazz musician and composer,very eccentic big band stuff that actually got used in bugs bunny cartoons and other WB animation,as well as Ren and Stimpy,he was a pioneer in electronic music,like sythesizing the chinese gong.Check out his 30`s stuff,very crazy for the era.
    John Zorn-a modern day Raymond Scott,this guy in likely to perform with Sonic Youth just as much to play with a big band.He throws every music you can imagine into his music,check out Naked City,his band from their 1990 album,also features vocals from one of the Boredoms,his Ornette Coleman tribute,spy vs spy from 1988 is a classic,Ornette`s music played frantically to speed metal drumming,screaming sax solos,a amazing album,I usually don`t like more recent jazz stuff but this is cool.
    Miles Davis-Miles is hardly unknown but his catalog is so large alot of people over look the cool things he did.One of the coolest is his 1975 album Agharta,it has loud wah wah guitar solos that any J fan would go nuts for,rockin drumming,great sax playing and Miles `trumpet on top of all this,great stuff.
    One of the guitarists is Reggie Lucas,trivia:who did he produce in the 80`s?;the answer will surprise you.
    Rock A Teens-a indie band from Georgia who are great;they mix early rock n roll teen melodramas;like the Roy Orbison,Ronnettes,and Shangri-las with 90`s indie rock like Pavement and Sebadoh,they use a ton of reverb,singer Chris Lopez sings like his life is depending on it,very over the top.Check out their mp3`s at mergerecords.com or audiogalaxy.com;there`s 3 tunes there from their album last year"Sweet Bird Of Youth".

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

Salamiguy,
    Did you know, that John Zorn played Sax on the Violent Femmes` Hallowed Ground. Most noticable on Black Girls.
    I`ve got to warn you about Torture Garden by Naked City. 8 years ago I taped said record for my sister and she was so impressed, that she used it as a soundtrack for all the short films she´d done so far (back then she was a filmstudent in Cologne), then somehow managed to show them to John Zorn and in the process got involved with the Jewish/avantgarde Jazzscene in New York, made a film about them (Sabbath in Paradise, it´s quite good), moved to New York and is now working on a film about the master himself. Sadly enough good old John is so unreliable and, well, a bit difficult to say the least that filming with him is a real pain in the ass. But everything will be back to normal when the damn thing is finished.
    Actually, I´m a bit intimidated by people like John Zorn. Lacking any musical talent whatsoever, I prefer the approach from people like Sonic Youth where they are on this neverending search for the perfect feedback, whereas John Zorn can play anything he likes, being the musical genius that he is. I just like it if you have the feeling that this band or artist play the music because the simply have to, regardless of trends or marketing strategies.
    gruss
    d

SG
    Participant

Hey Dimpfelmoser:
    Cool that your sister knows Zorn,strange how we meet up with artists and get a chance to work with them.
    Several years ago a woman at the local college radio station moved to Chicago,she came back for a visit and talked with someone else on their radio show,the guy asked her who she`s dating and she just laughed and did`nt want to say who,then she said"Steve Albinni".
    I think she dated him for a few months at least,this woman also filmed one of Sebadoh`s videos.
    I heard a story on this radio station about Albinni and a chicken dinner he had,if you want to hear about I`ll mention it.
    ELJ-My cousin has a band,don`t know if there`s any mp3`s of them,you might like them if you liked that railer.I`ll go check and mention it if they do.

SG
    Participant

I heard this story on the radio a few years ago.
    The guy who told the story,his friends were recording an album with Albinni producing;Albinni had a party that night with a chicken dinner;the thing is the chickens were`nt dead!they had live chickens running around Albinni`s place!Albinni and some guys from other bands,one band being Six Finger Satillite chased the chickens around and cut off their heads!The most sick thing was when the lead singer/keyboardist from Six Finger Satillite took all the chicken heads and made a necklace out of them!dripping with blood and all!
    You think Steve would have heard about chicken at a grocery store!But he is from Montana originally so I guess killing chickens is maybe normal to him.

inkling
    Participant

This story is true? I find it hard to believe, but interesting nonetheless. I think you mentioned Big Black earlier. Fucking great fucking great. Shellac’s stuff is right up there too. "At Action Park" is amazing!

Speaking of those unrecognized musicians, I’d like to recommend Alice Coltrane to all of you who haven’t heard. That’s right, John’s wife. Her albums are right up there with John himself and sorta in the same vein as Ornette Coleman. For all you Spiritualized fans (me included) you’ll probably enjoy this. She is a harp goddess.

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

Can I contribute some Steve Albini gossip here?!
    Years ago I interviewed a Berlin based band called 18th dey and back then they just came back from recording an album with Steve Albini and because it wasn´t that long after Surfer Rosa and back than I was absolutely obsessed with the Pixies, I asked them if Albini had told them anything about how recording with the Pixies was and apparently the only thing he said was:"Kim Deal was a good fuck." Now I found this rather hard to believe, cause whenever he appears in interviews he seems so nice and eloquent. But yeah, someone else told me that he is somewhat of an mysogonist (is that the right spelling?).
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[ July 26, 2001 01:27 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by dimpfelmoser ]</font>

SG
    Participant

The name of the band was 18th dye,maybe in Germany you say dey;that album was called Tribute To A Bus,great album;love that band.
    If Albinni said that about Kim he could be joking,just did`nt want to talk about the sessions with the Pixies;or he was being rude.
    That woman who dated him who used to do a show here on the college station said very little about him,he seems to be a mystery when it comes to conveying what he means,just interprete it as you think.
    Albinni once compared Courtney Love to Hitler.
    He once had a fling with PJ Harvey which is not told much,Courtney said once that PJ`s album"To Bring You My Love",alot of tunes from that was about that fling with Albinni.

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

Of course we don´t say dey. Don´t be ridiculous. And don´t be so pedantic. I knew it was wrong because it looked wrong, tried various combination, didn´t look right either, went for dey. BUT THE IMPORTANT THING IS, THAT YOU KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!! Actually Joe Dilworth, the faith healers drummer, (guy, that I see on and off), he was together with PJ Harvey for some time and on Dry there is a song about him. Aptly named, yep, you guessed it: Joe. Joe is very much into East German motorbikes (there is one in the living room, one in the backyard and one out front). In fact I think it´s fair to say that it´s one of his obsessions. Apparently Polly was so sick of listening to his twaddle about MZs (Motorwerke Zokau) that she recorded a whole album with songs about how much she hated Joes Motorbikes, yet the wimps at too pure didn´t thought it would sell very well so it was never released. I would really like to hear it.
    gruss
    d

<FONT>[ July 26, 2001 02:59 PM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by dimpfelmoser ]</font>

SG
    Participant

Have you heard the song"M bike"?
    It`s on the 4 track demos album she released in 93.
    So that`s who "Joe" is!

SG
    Participant

Inkling-I think that this story is true,the guy who said it,his friends had their album produced by Albinni,they were there,unless they`re making up a story,it`s problably true.
    Alice Coltrane`s solo records I have`nt seen around too much,she was a good pianist too,like on Coltrane`s live in Japan 4 cd set,bought that 10 years ago.

SG
    Participant

I was talking about this thread this morning,so I decided to pull it up so Nige can read the Albini chicken dinner story.

humble joe
    Participant

Cheers! That’s pretty cool.
    I really admire Albini. I read an article in MOJO on the making of In Utero and it had a lot of his producing philosophy which was cool.

I like At Action Park a lot as well. I may check 2 Nuns and a PackMule.

Thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.