Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

fasteddyclarke
    Participant

Hey, I didn’t say I liked QOTSA, just that at this time they are more of a draw than Dinosaur. The kids today, man…
    And MBV opened for Dinosaur on the Green Mind tour, but I think now they would be a bigger deal if they reformed.

fasteddyclarke
    Participant

And Sonic Youth have always sucked and bore the shit out of me. Seriously.

Annastefka
    Participant
    "fasteddyclarke " wrote:

Fasteddyclarke, I have always felt the same way, perhaps it is an Athens thing. I think it is torture to listen to, and that Sonic Nurse, eating it and then struggling to poop it out would be more more enjoyable than listening to it, but perhaps it is only the two of us who feel this way.

tom
    Participant

I think Queens of the Stone Age are pretty sweet. I dont like them as much as Kyuss, but the guy is very talented.

I do agree, Dinodsaur would get stuck opening for all those other bands for the reasons that were already mentioned by FAst EddieClark.

I used to like Sonic Youth, but it grew old to me. I thought they were in total control of the noise thing in the late 90’s when I saw them several times. However, the last time I saw them open for the Stooges, I thought it was a total noise wankfest.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do agree that Nebula would be a good opening choice.

Tom

stanner
    Participant

the great speculation thread :)
    they would probably do this
    they wouldnt do this…
    one thing i KNOW you wont see is DINOSAUR opening up a show for anyone.
    sez me
    s 8)

King Tubby
    Participant
    "Annastefka " wrote:
    "fasteddyclarke " wrote:

Fasteddyclarke, I have always felt the same way, perhaps it is an Athens thing. I think it is torture to listen to, and that Sonic Nurse, eating it and then struggling to poop it out would be more more enjoyable than listening to it, but perhaps it is only the two of us who feel this way.

I’ve never liked them, either, and I’m a New Englander through and through. I do, however, appreciate how Moore and Renaldo have worked hard to promote and introduce to new audiences a number of venerable avant-garde musicians. They’ve used their relatively high profile to support obscure music that’s meant a lot to them, and they deserve kudos for that. But that said, I’ve never at all connected with the music they themselves play. And I’ve tried since the mid-80s. It just doesn’t work.

lookitssam
    Participant

I like SY alot. But I also like noise. Meh.

fasteddyclarke
    Participant

Wow, I thought everyone would kill me for hating Sonic Youth, but it looks like there’s a few more out there.

I guess they do do some good for other musicians, and Lee Renaldo seems pretty cool, but it seems like their best ideas are stolen from other bands. And just watch"The Year Punk Broke" and see if you think you could hang around T. Moore for more than two minutes.

I guess they did help out Dino, so I’m glad they existed, but fuck ’em.

duane
    Participant
    "King Tubby " wrote:
    "Annastefka " wrote:
    "fasteddyclarke " wrote:

Fasteddyclarke, I have always felt the same way, perhaps it is an Athens thing. I think it is torture to listen to, and that Sonic Nurse, eating it and then struggling to poop it out would be more more enjoyable than listening to it, but perhaps it is only the two of us who feel this way.

I’ve never liked them, either, and I’m a New Englander through and through. I do, however, appreciate how Moore and Renaldo have worked hard to promote and introduce to new audiences a number of venerable avant-garde musicians. They’ve used their relatively high profile to support obscure music that’s meant a lot to them, and they deserve kudos for that. But that said, I’ve never at all connected with the music they themselves play. And I’ve tried since the mid-80s. It just doesn’t work.

Ditto that for me as well. Never saw the big draw here other than the occasional "that’s a pretty cool thing to do with your insturment" sound. Most of it just sounds like noise for the sake of making noise to me.
    And I think fasteddy hit right on the head in that Thurston Moore has DONE more for music than create a great body of work himself…..Wow, I just thought I was too much of a simpleton to "understand and appreciate" SY’s stuff- I feel better now.

King Tubby
    Participant
    "lookitssam " wrote:
    I like SY alot. But I also like noise. Meh.

I like noise, too. That might be the problem — Sonic Youth aren’t noisy enough to be a proper noise band, but they can’t write songs well enough to make them a proper rock band. I guess you could call them a noisy rock bland.

Speaking of noise, I saw Keiji Haino with Bill Laswell and Rashied Ali play two sets of apocalyptic improv noise-funk-acid-dub the other night. Good god al-fucking-mighty that was intense!

stanner
    Participant

WOW a KEIJI HAINO reference on here :)
    he is one of my all time guitar heroes-gotta bunch of his records…
    seen him live solo a coupla times and the word ‘intense’ just does not do justice to his performances…
    at one show here in san fran a few years ago, someone had a big reel to reel recording the show and it was one of the SonicYouths-but i dont one from another- i would love to get a copy o’ that.
    here is a scene from one of the shows: KeiJi was playin in the long bar w/ the stage at the very end… people were standing on chairs to get a look, and after a few minutes of the SONIC BLAST they slowly wilted into their seats -it was so completely intense-like standing right behind the afterburners of a BlueAngel Jet engine :o
    s 8)

King Tubby
    Participant
    "stanner " wrote:
    WOW a KEIJI HAINO reference on here :)
    he is one of my all time guitar heroes-gotta bunch of his records…
    seen him live solo a coupla times and the word ‘intense’ just does not do justice to his performances…
    at one show here in san fran a few years ago, someone had a big reel to reel recording the show and it was one of the SonicYouths-but i dont one from another- i would love to get a copy o’ that.
    here is a scene from one of the shows: KeiJi was playin in the long bar w/ the stage at the very end… people were standing on chairs to get a look, and after a few minutes of the SONIC BLAST they slowly wilted into their seats -it was so completely intense-like standing right behind the afterburners of a BlueAngel Jet engine :o
    s 8)

I’ve been a Fushitsusha fan for years, but this was my first time seeing him — I had no idea he was so tiny. It was especially evident given how hulking Laswell and Ali are. The combo of Haino’s massive torrent of sound, Laswell’s equally massive bass terror (gut-rumbling lows, skull-flossing shredding, *and* hypnotic ambience), and Ali’s free-time mastery on the drums was really beyond this world. I feel lucky to have been there. There’s a Fushitsusha album that was recorded at the Great American Music Hall that’s really excellent — Gold Blood, I think.

fata morgana
    Participant
    "lookitssam " wrote:
    I like SY alot.Â

Funny how so many people end up at their shows…

"King Tubby " wrote:
    Speaking of noise, I saw Keiji Haino with Bill Laswell and Rashied Ali play two sets of apocalyptic improv noise-funk-acid-dub the other night. Good god al-fucking-mighty that was intense!

…sat right in front of Thurston Moore last spring at the Victoriaville musique actuelle Festival, and believe me, that was a thrill… also met Fred Frith and saw Anthony Braxton… a thrill and a half :) check this label out http://www.victo.qc.ca/

Keiji Heino is a God and I wish he would come back to Foufounes Électriques one last time to blow my mind 8)

SG
    Participant

I love how these threads go from talking about Dino into mentions of Laswell and Ali :) Any of you like Last Exit?The band Laswell was in with Sonny Sharrock,Ronald Shannon Jackson,and Peter Brotzmann in the `80s.I`m not familiar with Haino but I`ve been out of the loop on improv players a bit.Any of you heard the swiss guitarist Christy Doran?I can send you some of his music if yr interested.Just send me a pm :) It`ll have to be within a week though

lookitssam
    Participant
    "glass ceiling " wrote:
    "lookitssam " wrote:
    I like SY alot.

Funny how so many people end up at their shows…

Nah, never seen them live.

And hey, Keiji Heino is a pretty cool cat. I have Gold Blood, it’s a good record.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.