Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Rolling Stone article on Ear Bleeding Country

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    enryo
    Participant

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=14452

It’s cool about the comp and that j got to pick stuff, but i was most pleased to hear that he is doing better.

Mascis halfway done with next solo album

Somethin’s goin’ on.

Rhino Records will release Ear Bleeding Country, a Dinosaur Jr. best-of compilation, on October 2nd. Likely named for the band’s deafening live shows, the nineteen-song anthology was assembled with the assistance of bandleader J. Mascis.
    "They let me pick some songs and take out some songs and put in some other ones, like ‘Repulsion’ instead of ‘Forget the Swan,’" he says. "Songs I still play I tended to want to put on, because they’ve lasted me for this long."

Composed mostly of Dinosaur Jr. album tracks from the last fifteen years, exceptions are a cover of the Cure’s "Just Like Heaven"; "Take a Run at the Sun," Mascis’ contribution to the Grace of My Heart soundtrack; and "Where’d You Go," from his first album with the Fog, his post-Dinosaur band.

"I like a lot of greatest hits albums," Mascis says. "I like the Buzzcocks’ and Alice Cooper’s greatest hits. Some bands have all the songs I like, but I like a lot more of my own songs than are on there. I was pretty happy with the songs on it. I think it might be a good introduction for people to my music."

Cover art for the compilation will be done by Neil Blender, a former professional skater, who previously designed the cover to Without a Sound.

At home recuperating from a June van accident that left him with two broken vertebra and cut short his European tour, Mascis said he’s recovering but unlikely to tour in support of the anthology. "I’m doing alright but I’m not ready to tour," he says. "I’m up and around. I have a brace, but I might get it off next week. I finally feel like it’s not too bad. I can probably take the brace off."

Last year, Mascis released his solo debut, More Light, and he’s halfway through his follow-up. "I recorded maybe seven songs," he says, "and I already don’t like one of them."

The track listing for Ear Bleeding Country:

1. Repulsion
    2. Little Fury Things
    3. In a Jar
    4. Freak Scene
    5. Budge
    6. Just Like Heaven
    7. The Wagon
    8. Thumb
    9. Whatever’s Cool With Me
    10. Not You Again
    11. Out There
    12. Start Choppin
    13. Get Me
    14. Feel the Pain
    15. I Don’t Think So
    16. Take a Run at the Sun (J. Mascis)
    17. Nothin’s Goin’ On
    18. I’m Insane
    19. Where’d You Go (J. Mascis + the Fog)

COLIN DEVENISH
    (August , 2001)

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Super cool. Wish they’d put Same Day on it as the representative Fog track, but who cares, it’s another CD anyway we look at it!

perfect
    Participant

cool..!!!. [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr perfect:
    <STRONG>cool..!!!. [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like your name but don’t be suprised if some people give you a bit of a ribbing about it… [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

FlyingCloud
    Participant

That’s good news all the way, thank you for posting the link [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/smile.gif[/img]
    I’m glad to hear that J’s quite well off now
    and that there are many things forthcoming.
    A live compilation and a new album [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Well, we Europeans haven’t got the chance to watch Allison Anders’ new movie now [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img] but you can’t have everything.

dimpfelmoser
    Participant

ELJ
    Can you please tell me why you quote every smegging post you reply to, even when, as in this case, your reply doesn´t relate to the post whatsoever.
    Yes, I too think that this quoting option is a jolly good feature, but hey, after 500 post the exitement should slowly wear off and well, most of the time, people understand what your refering to without reading it twice. I think it is only necessary if you reply to something further above. Otherwise it just clogs up the screen. Sorry but my machine is so slow.
    gruss
    d

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dimpfelmoser:
    <STRONG>ELJ
    Can you please tell me why you quote every smegging post you reply to, even when, as in this case, your reply doesn´t relate to the post whatsoever.
    Yes, I too think that this quoting option is a jolly good feature, but hey, after 500 post the exitement should slowly wear off and well, most of the time, people understand what your refering to without reading it twice. I think it is only necessary if you reply to something further above. Otherwise it just clogs up the screen. Sorry but my machine is so slow.
    gruss
    d</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long before the days of BBSes, there was newsgroups. Perhaps you all have heard of them – alt.music.whatnot type things. Back in the day, we were anally raped if we ever didn’t quote. Old habits die hard. I’ll try to stop if it’s really that upsetting.

Jebus
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELJ:
    <STRONG>

Back in the day, we were anally raped if we ever didn’t quote. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dood…couldn’t you just unsubscribe??

[img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Doh… I hit quote there on accident, Jebus. Yeah, I suppose I could unsubscribe but the point is quoting was a neccessity and it’s just something that’s carried over to BBS with me.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Enryo,

Thanks tons for that info, looks like J’s working on some conversion attempts as well…tons of great songs. Looking forward to that coming out!!!!!

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

oh yeah…bet he’s looking forward to getting that brace off…very pleased for him!!!

antipop
    Participant

<BLOCKQUOTE><font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dimpfelmoser:
    <STRONG>ELJ
    gruss
    d</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Upgrade then!

Cloud9
    Participant

Hey Enryo

Thanks A Lot For The Info
    Looking Forward 2 That Great Album

2 Best Of Albums At The Same Time
    There Will also be a Best OF from The Pumpkins with A Special Edition Bonus Disc

SG
    Participant

Should be a cool best of;Rhino does a great remastering job too and very cool pictures and linear notes.Their X anthology a few years back had Pee Wee Herman talking about X!
    There`s supposed to be a Uncle Tupelo best of too coming soon on Rhino,that should be great.

Samwise
    Participant

As we are all Dino-fanatics I’m sure we’ll all buy this GH thing, but aren’t greatest hits albums just an easy way of making money?
    Like he says, "I like a lot more of my own songs than are on there". If you wanna hear these songs buy the albums, you’ll get the song you want and 8 or 9 more great songs.

BTW I’m not saying I aint gonna buy it…..

Olaf

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

Yeah I am definitely gonna buy that one, have all the songs but that doesn’t matter [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

I don’t think best of’s are a cash grab for the most part. Sometimes its easier to get the best of versus spending all the dough on about 10 or so discs. But really like J said it sounds like a great introduction to his stuff for the massess…ie conversion attempt [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img] Like the Buzzcocks and Alice Cooper J mentioned…nice and easy to have all the cool tunes on one disc…of course I also have the rest but I am Insane so outside the norm there. So heres hoping this sells zillions and converts the masses to our way of thinking [img]images/smiles/converted/wink.gif[/img]

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/dizzy.gif[/img]

ps you will have to excuse the sunday afternoon spelling [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm12.gif[/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.