Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Rhino Bolsters 90’s Dinosaur Jr Albums-Billboard Feb 28 ’06

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    AGAP
    Participant

Rhino’s gonna reissue expanded versions of Green Mind & Where You Been, on May 16, & a live J acoustic @ CBGB’s from 1993… :o ;D

Billboard.com

February 28, 2006, 10:35 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
    Rhino has set a May 16 release date for expanded reissues of Dinosaur Jr.’s first two major-label albums, 1991’s "Green Mind" and 1993’s "Where You Been," Billboard.com has learned. The same day, the label will also issue "Live at CBGB: The First Acoustic Show," chronicling a 1993 performance by vocalist/guitarist J Mascis at the legendary New York venue.

Having reached a new level of success with the 1988 album "Bug" and its single "Freak Scene," "Green Mind" ushered Dinosaur Jr. up from the indie rock ranks. The single "The Wagon" became the group’s first entry on Billboard’s Modern Rock chart, peaking at No. 22.

This new edition is expanded with the B-sides "Turnip Farm" and "Forget It," plus a cover of the Flying Burrito Brothers’ "Hot Burrito #2" with backing vocals by actor Matt Dillon

Dinosaur Jr.’s next album, "Where You Been," is its best-seller, having shifted more than 256,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set spawned the enduring Modern Rock Hit "Start Choppin" (No. 4). It is expanded here with an unreleased live take on "Hide" recorded by late BBC Radio icon John Peel, an alternate version of "Keeblin’" and a 10-minute live rendition of "What Else Is New."

As for the acoustic album, 10 of its 12 tracks have never been released. Mascis runs through familiar cuts like "Thumb," "Flying Cloud" and "Get Me" while also digging into the band’s back catalog for early favorites like "Repulsion" and "Quest." The set will be limited to 5,000 copies and sold only at select independent music retailers.

After reuniting in 2005, Dinosaur Jr.’s original lineup (Mascis, bassist Lou Barlow, drummer Murph) will be back on the road this spring for a three-week tour that kicks off March 29 in Dallas.

SG
    Participant

Great news!Rhino will do a good job I`m sure :) My copy of Green Mind sounds really treblely,hopefully they`ll fix that.

AGAP
    Participant

I so need new copies of those discs, looking forward to it as well!!!

Hopefully I live somewhere near one of those indie stores so I can pick up a copy of the live J Mascis, limited to 5000 copies… :D

whateverscool
    Participant

I see the editors got in there and excised the reference to "Feel The Pain" being a single from Where You Been that I saw in the piece when I read it earlier this morning… Poor Jonathan, that dude writes so much he must not know if he’s coming or going some days.

empire3

Got all the songs in one way or another Im sure…..But new things to buy by J…………. :) :D ;D
    Now if we can just get that dvd……………………………………………………………
    & one day(do I dream!!!) A BOXSET!

never knew Matt D was on Hot Burrito #2 Im gonna dig out Quest(aussie cd)right now.

ammaringnyc
    Participant

Jonathan was J’s manager for a while

jeremiah
    jeremiah
    Keymaster
    "ammaringnyc " wrote:
    Jonathan was J’s manager for a while

Yep and a pretty nice guy too. He almost always does the related articles up on billboard.

whateverscool
    Participant

The volume of Jonathan’s output is astonishing. He has like four bylines everyday. I never knew he used to be J’s manager. So many fascinating connections in the world…

simmons
    Participant
    Quote:
    SG wrote:
    Great news!Rhino will do a good job I`m sure My copy of Green Mind sounds really treblely,hopefully they`ll fix that.

I don’t think the green mind album is gonna be remastered. But if there will be any remastering, I think Puke and Cry and Blowing It could use a bit higher acoustic guitar sound. That’s all I would complain about. The album is still great.

King Tubby
    Participant
    "simmons " wrote:
    Quote:
    SG wrote:
    Great news!Rhino will do a good job I`m sure My copy of Green Mind sounds really treblely,hopefully they`ll fix that.

I don’t think the green mind album is gonna be remastered. But if there will be any remastering, I think Puke and Cry and Blowing It could use a bit higher acoustic guitar sound. That’s all I would complain about. The album is still great.

Why don’t you think it’ll be remastered? Technically, of course, it would have to be a for a new cd issue, and given how relatively crappy the original cd sounds (and given Rhino’s history of issuing remasters — and doing good jobs of it) they’d be crazy not to.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant

Anyone think we will see any of these songs (other then The Wagon, of course) live now?

Annastefka
    Participant
    "everyonelovesjaron " wrote:
    Anyone think we will see any of these songs (other then The Wagon, of course) live now?

No, you are correct dear Jaron, perfection should stay as such, but I will take you up on that 10.00 dollar offer, what was the name you said the new album would be called "Milking the cash cow." No, really, I don’t remember the name but I do challange to to a 10.00 buck bet ’cause you are wrong brother Jaron. I knows not whats they gonna call it but I is sure it will be interestin"…………..Are we On?

empire3

All 3 cds are being released in the UK on Monday 15th May…I don’t think the live cd is gonna be limited here.

everyonelovesjaron
    Participant
    "Annastefka " wrote:
    "everyonelovesjaron " wrote:

No, you are correct dear Jaron, perfection should stay as such, but I will take you up on that 10.00 dollar offer, what was the name you said the new album would be called "Milking the cash cow." No, really, I don’t remember the name but I do challange to to a 10.00 buck bet ’cause you are wrong brother Jaron. I knows not whats they gonna call it but I is sure it will be interestin"…………..Are we On?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Can I buy drugs from you?

empire3

Where you been & Green mind being released on the 22nd May in the UK
    on Vinyl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.