Home Forums General Discussions Introductions Relatively new to Dino J.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Appetite Lad
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m Rob. I live in Tasmania, Australia and to my amazement, it was announced in November that Dinosaur Jr. are coming to play where I live on March 14. Coincidentally, I had not long started listening to them when I heard the news. I don’t have a cool ‘how I discovered Dinosaur Jr.’ story unfortunately. I’d basically just heard of them and decided to check them out one day. I liked what I heard. I’d often listen to YLAOM while lying in my bed before I went to sleep. I used to stop after Lose though because Poledo just made me feel restless and creeped out (I still love it though).

Anyway I started listening to them a heap more once I decided that I would go to the show. Over the last few weeks I have been listening to all their albums. I still haven’t heard Beyond or Farm yet but they’re in the pipeline.

I thought the next step would be to join a fan forum and this one seemed pretty kickin’. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys had some tips for my first Dinosaur Jr. live experience. For example, will I need earplugs, what kind of merch will they be selling, how can I boost my chances of scoring myself one of their paper setlists/plectrums, or even better, meeting the band.

:)

Yeah Right
    Participant

Holler.

I’d recommend getting there early and getting a space at the front. Shout louder than everyone else to get set lists or picks. Take some earphones and then decide when you’re there if you want to use them. I guess they’re still selling Farm, Green Mind and general Dino Tees. As for meeting the band, all you have to do is hang around long enough after the show. Always worked for me.

Appetite Lad
    Participant

I was planning on getting there early just so i can get to the front. Shouldn’t be too hard seeing as there’s probably not going to be a massive crowd due to the size of the city I live in. I’m very keen to get a t-shirt, the Farm ones look great.

When you say, in order to meet them you just need to stay behind long enough, how does that work exactly? Do they usually come out and talk to people who are still at the venue after a while? Fuck, I wouldn’t even know what I’d say to them.

essgee09
    Participant

Welcome :D

Yeah Right
    Participant
    "Appetite Lad" wrote:
    I was planning on getting there early just so i can get to the front. Shouldn’t be too hard seeing as there’s probably not going to be a massive crowd due to the size of the city I live in. I’m very keen to get a t-shirt, the Farm ones look great.

When you say, in order to meet them you just need to stay behind long enough, how does that work exactly? Do they usually come out and talk to people who are still at the venue after a while? Fuck, I wouldn’t even know what I’d say to them.

I’ve met them after just hanging out outside of the venue talking to people from the show. After a while the band would come out the front or side door. Just head over and say hi, they’re friendly guys, happy to have their picture taken with fans and sign stuff for people.

The first time I met J was weird. I’m not one to be starstruck but it was sort of freaky. Dinosaur have had this huge and profound effect on my life so being face to face with the strangers responsible was a weird thing to process.

Appetite Lad
    Participant
    "Yeah Right" wrote:
    I’ve met them after just hanging out outside of the venue talking to people from the show. After a while the band would come out the front or side door. Just head over and say hi, they’re friendly guys, happy to have their picture taken with fans and sign stuff for people.

The first time I met J was weird. I’m not one to be starstruck but it was sort of freaky. Dinosaur have had this huge and profound effect on my life so being face to face with the strangers responsible was a weird thing to process.

Oh OK, I guess it wouldn’t be too hard to spot them outside the venue after wards, I’d just have to look for a huddled mass of fans. :P

That’s good that they’re a friendly bunch, although I can imagine how daunting that first encounter with J would be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.