Home Forums General Discussions Open Topic Recommendations please

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Javro

Now that ALL THE BEST BANDS BROKE UP (Dinosaur, Archers and Pavement), the resulting new bands/solo careers are worth checking, especially Eric Bachman’s (ex AOL frontman) Crooked Fingers and Eric Johnson’s Spooky J. EB gruffly singing like the Pogues on "New Drink 4 the Old Drunk" has gotta be heard.

Bookwise – check "Powder" by Kevin (damn what is his surname). It follows the progress of a 4 piece British bands from no-ones to world superstars, from the guitarists heavy drug problems and fetish for deformed, scarred dwarves, to the liggers and hanging-on music press desperate for some attention and recognition. If I remember the guys surname, I’ll let ya know, but try to dig it out.

J’s cameo in GFL – interesting. "Wanna buy a stone?" Err….ok!

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Javro,

Checked out the Crooked Fingers….you were correct sit….pretty cool. Thanks for the tip on the book, looking forward to reading pretty much anything that I am not forced to read….god. Good to hear from you!!!

You know I would probably buy that stone…what a salesman.

Allison

AGAP
    Participant

Hey,

If you get a chance check out the new fatboy slim video Weapon of Choice. The music doesn’t do it for me at all but yikes Christopher Walken can dance….flies thru the air with the greatest of ease at the end…amazing. The Continental dances up a storm…you gotta love that.

Allison

Robert
    Participant

Hey Bates,
    do have anything by Gluecifer or Turbonegro? If not you should definetely try to get hold of some!!! It’s badass rockpunk n’ rawl [img]images/smiles/converted/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Robert,

I have some stuff with The Hellacopters and Glucifer, ? half and half on an album pretty cool though. The Hellacopters doing a Bob Seger cover is pretty good.

When I get my pc fixed….still making this chainsaw sound…think its my fan and increase my memory etc will post some boots to the ftp…have some cool stuff that you might like.

Thanks for the suggestions definitely up for some new tunes!!

Allison

ps Just over 2 weeks until City Slang releases J Mascis & The Fog’s new single…countdown has begun!!! [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

Hey, Bates. I’m really looking forward to you posting those goodies of yours [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm12.gif[/img]
    btw. if you like, I could post some Turbonegro on the FTP, they’ve got some classic titles, such as "I Got Erection" and "Gimme Some Darkness." Gotta love those guys
    [img]images/smiles/converted/tongue.gif[/img]

<FONT>[ May 28, 2001 09:27 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by Robert ]</font>

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Robert,

Sounds great, would love to check those tunes out. Really picked up some great tips on Freakscene….too cool!!!

Allison

Javro

Hey Bates

I bought the stone.

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Javro,

Glad to hear I’m not alone in my madness…as my usernamesake guy once said…we all go a little mad sometimes.

Funny thing is I bought the same stone….bootleg stones go figure.

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

Hi Bates,
    I’ve been trying to dig up some recommendations for you. But I’ve got a feeling you’re sitting on a ton of musical knowledge. So it would be great if you could recommend some stuff that hits your nerves!

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Robert,

Appreciate the post but doubt that I have more knowledge than you…you gave me the Flaming Sideburns…too cool.

Lots of my favs are inbetween releases right now, The Flaming Lips are in the studio god knows how long that will take but can’t wait for that one. Swervedriver put out some great stuff, the last one though was way too mellow for me. Rumor is they are recording a new one soon, hopefully it is more along the lines of their earlier releases like Raise, Ejector Seat Reservation anad Mezcal Head…all loud and sonic which is just how I like…no need it. I think Adam Frankin is doing a short tour in the states for his Toshack Highway release…wish he would focus on Swervedriver though.

Scott Morgan has a new release coming out, http://i94bar.com/ints/mediumrare.html
    good info at the above address. Apparently the Hydromatics are awaiting the release of a new one as well.

William Reid ex of Jesus and Mary Chain…my heroes…has some interesting stuff out under the name Lazycame. If anyone out there knows what Jim Reid is doing please let me know, I miss JAMC!!!

New Christs are ok, kinda hit or miss though but they are touring now in Europe so if you can check them out.

Thats all my tiny brain can handle right know but will think on it and post more if I break out of this zombie trance…too many Tanqueray and Tonic’s…was fun though. [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Allison

ps hope the snow has finally left…beautiful here…. [img]images/smiles/converted/biggrin.gif[/img]

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Robert,

Apparently Scott Morgan is finished touring in Europe for now. Got a very disturbing email from a friend this am….god he played in Minneapolis last friday…..ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I swear if he played with Deniz Tek you will probably hear my scream in Norway. I actually saw the listing but figured no way that can’t be the same Scott Morgan for 4 bucks at some dinky little club…. [img]images/smiles/converted/bawling.gif[/img]

I feel nauseous, horrifying bad luck, the guy who sent me the email feels worse though…not much of a consolation for me….screaming myself into insanity

Allison [img]images/smiles/converted/eek.gif[/img]

Robert
    Participant

What can I say..except that I fully understand your grievances for this. And 4 bucks??? It’s almost like you’re paid to see a great performer when it’s that cheap!!! This is disturbing news indeed. Alas, it seems the bad karma doesn’t stop… Some stupid mthr fckr stole my J Mascis ticket!!!!! I was loading stuff into the car when I was going home for the summer. Being my most valued possession, I put the ticket on the passenger seat and went in to get some more stuff. This was just fine. Until the last time I went back into the appartment… When I got back my [img]images/smiles/converted/eek2.gif[/img] -the ticket was gone!!! The stupid fuck hadn’t bothered with my stereo or anything..just the ticket. Well screw the stero -it’s insured. It’s the ticket I need to go on living!! So I went into battle mode, ready to
    [img]images/smiles/converted/rocketwhore.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/s_w_fight.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/toilet_claw.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/bash.gif[/img] the bastard who did this. But sadly he was outta sight. So now I’m stuck, the show is sold out and nobody is willing to sell me a ticket for an insanely large amount of money… So I’m not excactly sure of what I’ll be doing this saturday when J and the guys are playing here. But [img]images/smiles/converted/whipa.gif[/img] is definetely an option….
    I hope any foul language found in this text is forgiven, my brain has stopped working and I’m angry as hell.

<FONT>[ June 13, 2001 06:28 AM: Message mutated 1 time, lastly by Robert ]</font>

AGAP
    Participant

Hey Robert,

Thought I heard some screaming coming from your direction….that sucks in a huge way. My faith in humanity is shaken, whoever took that ticket has to be some sort of horrifying zombie…no other explanation.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you are able to bribe somebody and get their ticket.

Definitely up to be your tag team partner, let me know when you find the guy we can………
    [img]images/smiles/converted/cwm23.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/rocketwhore.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/whipa.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/converted/killtard.gif[/img]…that zombie would give up your ticket in under a minute with both of us working on him.

So sorry your having to deal with this….life is not fair at all…. [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

Allison

jeremiah
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear about Robert [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]
    That sucks in a big way. People suck sometimes… [img]images/smiles/converted/mad.gif[/img]

Hope you find a ticket!!!

This is a longshot but definatly worth a try. If you get there early, try to catch Watt or someone outside and tell them what happened and see if they can get you in or.

Damn that sucks [img]images/smiles/converted/frown.gif[/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.