Home Forums Dinosaur Related Discussions Dinosaur/J News & Discussions Rave Magazine review of Free So Free

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

AGAP
    Participant

Great review, apparently you can download the whole magazine if you want, or view it with Adobe…

Rave Magazine

J Mascis & The Fog
    Free So Free Dew Process/Universal

With Dinosaur Jr now well and truly extinct, J Mascis rolls out his second
    Fog-bound effort (his third solo altogether). And, even though it is apparently designed as a tribute to his newfound love of skydiving (he insists most of the songs were written in mid-air :P ) , the reality is the format hasn’t changed much. "Great", I can hear the fans say, and rightly so. All the Mascis trademarks are here-that laconic, wary, weary groan, sinewy melodies that stretch out for a rock classicism, and get there in their own way and plenty of riffing, layered and panoramic guitars that mange to be both timely & timeless.

Fitting the titles theme of being unfettered, there are some expansive almost anthems-by-accident rock sounds here. And that happens whether he goes for a big chum in Set Us Free and Bobbin'(both with big, noddly, ringing. wrung out guitar solos circa 1975 pulled screaming into the early 90’s, though the latter somehow also has T-Rex moments too), or opts for punctuated guitar ping in Freedom, or even settles into a reflective flute mood for Someone Said. Again most of the instruments are played by Mascis, with the occasional ring in. And again Mascis’s direct down-to-earth approach delivers the goods. Take the plunge.

Rave Magazine

expect nothing
    Participant

another great review :D , thanks for the link.

The sky-diving statement loses its shock factor the more reviews i read i think i must be getting used to it :)đŸ™‚

"melodies that stretch out for a rock classicism, and get there in their own way and plenty of riffing, layered and panoramic guitars that mange to be both timely & timeless. "

:mrgreen: amazing :)

AGAP
    Participant

Some killer lines in there, think the guy liked the disc :aliensmile:

"All the Mascis trademarks are here-that laconic, wary, weary groan" :aliensmile: :mrgreen: :aliensmile:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.